PDA

View Full Version : Mango's when to pick

Rod Gilbert
30th December 2014, 09:20 PM
Hi all,
Could anyone tell me how early I can pick our mango's. Last year we didn't get one between the bird's and bat's and I had one whopper left on the tree I waited and waited for it to ripen it was a beautiful Bowen, a wallaby enjoyed it very much. So this year I netted the tree and have a bumper crop on it so I am wondering how soon they can be picked. Should they be left to ripen on the tree or picked and ripened of the tree.
Regards Rod.

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2014, 09:34 PM
The stuff you get in the supermarket is not tree ripened.

Try them at stages, pick a couple, stick them in a dark cool place, (not the fridge) & have a look at them once a day til the colour starts to change & then start trying them, you'll work it out.

Opelblues2
30th December 2014, 10:09 PM
anytime the owner of the tree is not around, rule of thumb is when the peach/pink is about 1/4 down from stem. or before the fling fox

Rod Gilbert
31st December 2014, 06:51 AM
Thank you Cliff and opelblues2,
I have always tried to leave any fruit and veg to ripen on the tree, vine but after last year watching them disappear one by one I am getting anxious looking at the tree loaded with big fat bowen's but hopefully with the netting it will keep the bird's and flying foxes out and we will get them this year.
Regards Rod.

OldGrain
31st December 2014, 09:29 PM
Our family home was in Canterbury,Sydney.I guess from `57 to `85 the old man grew great mangoes.A good hands length so pretty decent size & always sweet & juicy.Couldn`t tell you its name.Never knew.The old man experimented a bit & got what we & all the neighbours reckoned were the best tasting. Seven trees you could & did climb to gather fruit.Two hundred would be about the count.Sometimes more.Never netted.Figured there was plenty to go around. Always waited to a pinkish tinge appeared.He also grew guava/sugar banana/custard apple/persimon/lemon & lime.We sold the home 18 years ago but two of those trees still fruit to this day. New owners renos took care of the others sadly.