PDA

View Full Version : Shawl Clasps

WoodWriteOz
1st January 2015, 01:06 PM
Does anyone make these...? Is there a Tutorial etc etc...

Regards....George

dai sensei
1st January 2015, 08:24 PM
I assume you are not talking about the clothing type. What are they for? Is it for a box or something rather than woodturning?

Hermit
1st January 2015, 09:16 PM
I can't picture them either. Is a pic possible at all George, or a quick sketch?

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2015, 09:39 PM
a circle and a peg?

pic found on net

WoodWriteOz
2nd January 2015, 12:18 PM
The image submitted by Nick is exactly the sort of thing that I am looking for...how to hold it to make one as round as possible...I know that other shapes are possible but how to hold it and get the inside perfect is my dilemma..

Lyle
2nd January 2015, 01:59 PM
Double sided tape on a the end of a waste piece??
eg finish the front, then part off and then double sided tape it to the waste and finish the back and inside edge.
Lyle.

dai sensei
2nd January 2015, 07:34 PM
Turn the disc like a pendant, the pin like a finial

chuck1
2nd January 2015, 07:53 PM
Pre drill hole , turn on a Timber mandrel sides and out side. Jam chuck outside and sand hole. Turn pin between Centres?

issatree
2nd January 2015, 08:42 PM
Hi All,
Amazing how everyone has a different way of doing it.

Well I wood put my wood in a Chuck, turn down to size, either drill a hole or Turn it out, sand Polish, Part it off. Do the next & the Next.
Grab a waste piece, cut a hole, big enough to make a Jam Chuck, sand & polish the other sides.

The Pin, I wood do another way, take the corners off length ways, a bit Of TONGUE OIL, you all know what that is, & whack it up the MT in the Head Stock. Twice a secure as between centres, but of course with the T/Stock.
The T/O swells the wood slightly & therefore grips better.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2015, 03:33 PM
Another variation is to make a bowl... of sorts... with constant wall thickness and radius. Then cut the bowl up into segments to make turning blanks. I mount these on a pen mandrel to turn the outside circular, then use a very fine parting tool (actually... it's an ex-knife!) to make the inner hole by parting off. Hand sanding afterwards, of course.

The result is a curved disc, that looks very nice when pinned on a shawl.

(I've had more than one reject bowl suddenly become batch of these! Particularly the ones that decide to become fragments during "that last little finishing cut." :rolleyes:)

KBs PensNmore
4th January 2015, 03:52 PM
Another variation is to make a bowl... of sorts... with constant wall thickness and radius. Then cut the bowl up into segments to make turning blanks. I mount these on a pen mandrel to turn the outside circular, then use a very fine parting tool (actually... it's an ex-knife!) to make the inner hole by parting off. Hand sanding afterwards, of course.

The result is a curved disc, that looks very nice when pinned on a shawl.

(I've had more than one reject bowl suddenly become batch of these! Particularly the ones that decide to become fragments during "that last little finishing cut." :rolleyes:)

Next time this happens :(, any chance of a pictorial how to PLEASE, as I can't quite work it out :?.
Thanks
Kryn

Christos
7th January 2015, 09:01 AM

I like the idea of reusing the destroyed bowl.