PDA

View Full Version : Taking a break

Hermit
2nd January 2015, 01:13 PM
I received a very offensive email this morning from a fellow member, telling me that my opinions and suggestions on woodturning are not welcome by anyone here and that I should pull my head in, since I don't know what I'm talking about.
In the light of this I've decided to take a break. Not happy, but if that's how it is, that's fine. I have broad shoulders. Have fun all.

A Duke
2nd January 2015, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I do not know who the fellow is and who gave him the right to talk for the rest of the membership. Rest assured he does not talk for me, I enjoy your posts.
Non illegitimo carborundum!
Regards

Oldgreybeard
2nd January 2015, 01:20 PM
Steve, don't be put off by one person. I for one welcome your comments and discussions and would ask you to reconsider your decision.
Bob

Master Splinter
2nd January 2015, 01:42 PM
Just copy the sender's full name and message here. I'm sure we could think of some responses for you, like the sender being put on global ignore.

wheelinround
2nd January 2015, 01:45 PM
Steve not good at all I like the rest have said follow your work and comments.

Do stick around for without a wide community of in put we only get a one eyed view and learn nothing.

Lyle
2nd January 2015, 01:56 PM
I would suggest that the email be forwarded to a moderator to consider.
Lyle.

DaveTTC
2nd January 2015, 02:03 PM
I can understand that would leave a bitter taste in your mouth. never nice to receive such especially when so unfounded. From time to time people make a real donkey of themselves (or is that ass)

Hope you are back real soon, like in a few minutes ;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Christos
2nd January 2015, 02:03 PM
Hermit

It is possible to report this PM to the Moderators by hitting the black triangle with the exclamation mark in the center.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAACkAAAAiCAIAAABNxWdiAAABhklEQVRYhe3SP2vCUBSHYb/UkVwieO8kgbj4D3VwEATBxQTi5HKtg4Ogi4iOTplC3EWyGNFN8aIuGoyG9Ct0aQepOLR0aIyF5t1 Z3mWE3p7XqHA9t9 fV6BHdiB/Qfs4/FoGIamaYfDwVfbcRzDMCRJyuVy4/HYV5sx1ul0eJ6PRCLlcnm73bqu64d9Pp9VVU2lUhjjRCJBCOn3 7Zt 2HP53NFUTiOkyTJNE2McSwWWy6Xl8vlsbZt291ulxCSyWRUVWWMUUo5jlMUZb/fP9bWdb1QKABAOp2 2o1GAwAQQpqmWZb1KHuz2dRqNZ7nr5gsy6ZpRqNRAACAbDa7WCx XRf267r9nq9eDwOn2GMk8nkbSKE2u02Y8x7ezqdFotFhNANy fzw EQ7hJFUdf10 nkpW1ZVr1eJ4TcS4IgVCqV 0s4HJZleTabeWnvdrtqtSqKovBTpVJpMpl4ZjuOs1qtBoMBpZRS vJNzWaz1WqNRqP1eu2Z7WeB/c/s9 cV2P73ASoFayFFqIo3AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

We can then take a look at what was said and evaluate from a third party perspective.

I also wish to remind people of something within the forum rules.

These forums are for you to use in a spirit of help, understanding and friendship.

Those that wish to do some light reading please follow this link, Forum Rules (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90).

Thank you

Simplicity
2nd January 2015, 02:04 PM
I would suggest you ignore the email
Firstly that's why I use this forum to hear others ideas opinions on a wide verity of subjects
But it is up to me to take it or leave it
We all have opinions that's what makes us individual

Simplicity
2nd January 2015, 02:05 PM
O and please don't leave

rob streeper
2nd January 2015, 02:36 PM
Very sorry to hear that. I've appreciated corresponding with you here and I hope you'll reconsider. True there are and have been some jerks who gratuitously and unfairly criticize others but I think the majority are decent. There is nothing on this forum worth getting hot-headed over, it should be fun, interesting and rewarding for all of us, not a means for abusive behavior.

Cheers,
Rob

pommyphil
2nd January 2015, 04:04 PM
Just post it up here Steve. Name and shame.

nalmo
2nd January 2015, 04:52 PM
The fact that the person didn't have the guts to openly air his views indicates just how much notice you should take of his message.

Much as I love the internet and associated matters, this bitching and hiding behind anonymity is the one thing I can't stand.

Sturdee
2nd January 2015, 04:59 PM
Steve don't leave for then you give that idiot credence to his opinions which do not reflect most forum members, me included.

As said you can report the pm to admin for them to look at or name and shame that member But if I received a pm like that I would copy and paste the whole pm, name included,into this thread for all members to see and judge accordingly.

This kind of unacceptable behaviour can only survive in the dark so let the light of public scrutiny be the judge of this pm.

Keep asking questions and give your opinions as you have the same rights as everyone else.

Peter.

Pac man
2nd January 2015, 05:31 PM
I had a problem like yours and alerted a mod as per Christos suggestion. I no longer have a problem.

Christos
2nd January 2015, 05:35 PM
....., knowing my, er, physical presence :)

Tiny. :U

DaveTTC
2nd January 2015, 05:53 PM
Lets face it Steve ..... Your a wanted man in spite of what some other person may have said

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chrisb691
2nd January 2015, 05:57 PM
I received a very offensive email this morning from a fellow member, telling me that my opinions and suggestions on woodturning are not welcome by anyone here and that I should pull my head in, since I don't know what I'm talking about.
In the light of this I've decided to take a break. Not happy, but if that's how it is, that's fine. I have broad shoulders. Have fun all.

So you will leave, and admit to the truth of what he/she said (in his/her mind). That's just plain wrong, and will only reinforce that persons beliefs. Offensive posts, PM's or emails, are not condoned, or allowed, on this forum. So I would suggest that you forward the email to the mods, so that this person can not be offensive to anyone else on the forum.

Why you would even consider leaving over this, is beyond me.

chuck1
2nd January 2015, 08:18 PM
Steve you have quality and an eye for detail with your work as I have seen first hand, it doesn't matter what stage your at, there will always be questions. I enjoy seeing your work and ideas.

smiife
2nd January 2015, 08:24 PM
Hi hermit,
I am sure the moderators would be on it already
That,s what they do , nobody needs to put up with
crap like that , don, t let it bother you !

Old Croc
2nd January 2015, 11:27 PM
Steve,
I have been stuck at home for a few days and nights unable to go into my shed due to the OPPRESSIVE heat and humidity here in Townsville so I have read almost every post and reply that I would normally only give a cursory glance or not even open the thread up. I have seen a lot of replies from you, but none have raised my eyebrows at all and from someone who has been on the receiving end of some downright nasty replies and PM's, just ignore it and keep posting and replying because we need all the alternative views possible, that's what's so great about this forum.:2tsup::2tsup:
We don't want just the sterile and sanitized views like some of the other forums I use.:no:
Please stay and participate.
Rgds,
Crocy.

danny.s
3rd January 2015, 02:02 AM
Steve

Sounds like one person wants you to leave and everyone else wants you to stay.

He or she just got outvoted mate.

Danny

nrb
3rd January 2015, 02:25 AM
Just tell all who this a----h is and let him stew in his own cowardly Sh--t

Paul39
3rd January 2015, 03:09 AM
Hermit,

I read almost exclusively the woodturning - general section, usually every day and have not read anything by you that I would consider bad advice.

There are people in the world who think they know how everything should work and are quite free with their unsolicited advice. I find them quite tiresome and mostly ignore them.

Possibly the person who sent the critical email had been celebrating the new year too much and was not his or her usual self. Maybe the person was his or her usual self, now you know their true character.

We all have personal experience with wood working and this is the place to relate them. Anyone is free to use or ignore what appears here.

Any bad or dangerous ideas have been jumped upon by contributors or moderators. I have not seen that on any of your posts.

Don't leave us, you have contributed much.

Mobyturns
3rd January 2015, 09:15 AM
Stay on Hermit. We need a variety of opinions and talents other wise forums become stagnant and biased towards a small collectives view of the world.

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 09:53 AM
Sadly I think he is gone for good. I have been in touch with him a few times off the forum since this thread started and I dont think there is any talking him round. I am saddened that it has come to this and he feels his actions are what must be done.

Hopefully we can all learn a lesson (not saying anyone here is guilty of wrong) that words can cut deep. It is good to think what we are saying and how it might be interpreted.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Pat
3rd January 2015, 09:54 AM
Steve, why leave because of one narrow minded so and so. We all have differing opinions on how to do a job. You maybe on the early stages of your turning journey, but you are getting into fields that I have not explored yet, so as you learn, so am I ans alot of others.

So stick around and enjoy the ride.

PS, flick the offending email thru to the Mods and let them deal with it.

FenceFurniture
3rd January 2015, 10:13 AM
You could publish the content of the email here without the sender's name and see if they have the bollocks to own up to it.

jay h
3rd January 2015, 10:50 AM
There would appear to be a river of replies heading downstream and not even a ripple going the other way. Others have voiced their opinion more eloquently than I ever could so I will agree totally with those opinions. Could I add I would be a shame to lose a good contributor to a sniper!!! Jay

Treecycle
3rd January 2015, 01:05 PM
I cannot for the life of me understand why a person in their right mind would anonymously attack a person who has been so generous with showing their work from their humble beginnings, and allowed us to follow their journey thus far to reach very high standards. From what I have seen, you go to the enth degree to produce the best outcome you can achieve. Never have I seen you say anything that could possibly offend anyone.
The type of behavior exhibited by this anonymous person is akin to the coward attacking an old age pensioner to steal their wallet/purse.
There was a similar attack on the toymaking forum not long ago. At least that one was done in full view on the forum and was dealt with by members in the most appropriate way. We are here to support each other on our various journeys.
Please reconsider your decision and come back quickly as the rest of us value your input and support. Your title says "Taking a break", so hopefully that is all it is.

wheelinround
4th January 2015, 07:02 AM
Darn like his name says Hermit I think from what Dave TCC says he's found his cave and gone.

Its not the first time this sort of thing has happened and Steve is not alone, you'd think the school yard bully type at our age would have grown up by now sadly some just do not:no:

Steve if and when you do come back I know it will be with a fine lot of works to show off which will bring smiles to many dials :U. I can see by the show of support that you are one who has become well liked respected and indeed people care what has taken place.

artme
4th January 2015, 07:36 AM
I am stunned!!!

Leaving shouldn't be an option for you Hermit.

Expulsion should be mandatory for the sender!!

Sawdust Maker
4th January 2015, 08:29 AM

I'm not sure what to say here

We all have our opinions and are free to express them openly on the forum - if wiser and more experienced minds find fault because of dangerous technique or whatever then they are free to openly comment. We all learn from that. As we all learn from each others different take on things. To make the comments in the form of an attack off forum is, in my view, something which is just not proper behaviour.

I can't recall ever seeing something you posted that I violently disagreed with or thought should not be said. And to follow this character's advice and take a break from the forums is just adding to their feeling of superiority. I suggest that you stand up to whoever it is and to get them to publish their comments without the veil of secrecy.

I know this is said after you've left but just wanted to add my voice to your support team

PS I regularly "don't know what I'm talking about". Wasn't aware that it was a hanging offence.

Drillit
4th January 2015, 09:58 AM
Hello Hermit,
Unfortunately with social media, some people act (and type) before they switch the headlights on. Don't be concerned, draw the line and move on. In a democracy, of which this Forum is part, all are entitled
to their views and a fundamental aspect is the mutual respect for others, even if you don't agree with their sentiments. I haven't met anyone (yet) who is the font of all knowledge - although we all will one day, eh. So battle on and don't be disheartened. We all look forward to your further posts - soon. Chin up, Drillit.

Master Splinter
4th January 2015, 10:41 AM
I think the person who sent the PM to Hermit should fess' up to it; if not, it just proves what a spineless, gutless little t**d they are, and it's obvious that being an a**hat is the only compensation they get in life for having a microp***s.

They are the s**tstains on the underwear of the universe.

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 12:08 PM
I think it was an email to his personal account, I had a guess at two people who I thought it could of been but he neither confirmed or denied.

In a more recent email from him there was glimmer of hope that he may reassess the situation in a few months, we can only hope

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

WoodWriteOz
4th January 2015, 04:04 PM
it is a pity that you are too much of a gentlemen in not naming him.....for me your contributions are very easy to understand and helpful...like others I would like to see you continue: for those of us who try your suggestions might add a 'credit' such as "an idea developed from a 'contribution by Hermit'

rob streeper
4th January 2015, 04:46 PM
I can see the merit of keeping the identity of the culprit a secret yet I really think that public revelation would clear the air. Would the knowledge that any bad act here will result in public shaming not serve as a disincentive to further acts of this kind?

Simplicity
4th January 2015, 06:16 PM
I've been reading and following this thread .
Like a lot of people have here ,
And I'm quite alarmed at the responses
.Now unfortunately I don't have the gift of pen keyboard that a lot of people have here ,
And Hermit would be included in that group .
I quite enjoyed following along behind him on the path he was following .
I enjoyed reading his posts and hope there will be many to come .
As I enjoy reading quite a lot of posts here .
But I must admit this one s scarring the s... Out of me .
We have Hermit who as received an email from another forum member that as been quite abusive in his/her words .
And from my reading of posts over the last few years from Hermit.
I personally have no reason to dispute that .
He seems to be honest and up front in his writings .
But here is what is scaring me everyone wants to shoot and hang the perpetrator from the nearest tree like it was 1700,s something like a good old fashioned witch hunt.
It's 2015 people .
Quite a few of you have said that no person in there right mind would do such a thing .
And I whole Hartley agree.
A person of sound mind would properly not right an abusive email .
Could the perpetrator not be of sound mind ??

Unfortunately or fortunately depends which way you see this ,this is and open forum for all member of the public .
Which means everyone sane/insane and my ex mother in law included can be members.
I do not condone the behaviour Hermit was subjected to ,it would not be nice and is not nice having been subjected to similar behaviour my self in the past .
For me I was lucky in knowing the perpetrator was mentally ill.
But I still feel for Hermit .
But here we have only heard one side .
Could the perpetrator be having a spell .
Who knows I don't as I write this because I don't and we don't as I write this know who it was .
I'm again not saying it's right what Hermit, as been exposed to but unfortunately it can happen and does happen .
I apologise for my lack of grammar and the gift of writing so many of you have.
My point is let's not go hanging anyone to we have all the information please .

Hermit do what you and only you think is best I personal miss your posts .

And you may pm if you which .

Sturdee
4th January 2015, 06:42 PM
But here is what is scaring me everyone wants to shoot and hang the perpetrator from the nearest tree like it was 1700,s something like a good old fashioned witch hunt.
It's 2015 people .

I don't want to debate the issue as I want to encourage Steve to return and not feel that he is hounded out by a forumite, whether that one is deranged or mentally deficient or just an idiot.

But because it's indeed 2015 we should not accept this and not only name and shame the forumite but actually put the contents up in open forum for all to judge. The deplorable cyber bullying can only work in the dark.

As Beyond Blue says cyber bullying is a major cause of depression and thus, because it's 2015, should be opposed when it happens.

Peter.

Simplicity
4th January 2015, 06:48 PM
Peter I agree we should not accept it but let's get all the points first
Then make a decision
And I'm not trying to provoke an argument here either
And yes I want to see Steve return

Matt

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 06:50 PM
Simplicity

I do ponder the state of mind that led to this person abusing Hermit. That is one thing that has prevented me from being over derogative of this person and I feel you state some fair points. Any of us can have a bad day and snap. What that snap means in physical action, behaviour and words varies from person to person but still is generally unacceptable.

Like you I do not condone this persons words and actions but realise there is another side of the story and this person likely needs help in some way shape or form. I have a 95% conviction I know who it is though Steve will not tell me but I would sure hate to name the person and be wrong.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Simplicity
4th January 2015, 07:09 PM
You are right Dave ,how we deal with a bad day is personal.
Me it involves a walk away, using hand tools only not power ones.
But it does not involve others.
But unfortunately for some it involves others.
And people get hurt .in this case it was Hermit
Matt

Mobyturns
4th January 2015, 10:54 PM
Simplicity

I do ponder the state of mind that led to this person abusing Hermit. That is one thing that has prevented me from being over derogative of this person and I feel you state some fair points. Any of us can have a bad day and snap. What that snap means in physical action, behaviour and words varies from person to person but still is generally unacceptable.

Like you I do not condone this persons words and actions but realise there is another side of the story and this person likely needs help in some way shape or form. I have a 95% conviction I know who it is though Steve will not tell me but I would sure hate to name the person and be wrong.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Having received a few nasty emails about my views on reducing risk & improving safety in wood turning I feel for Hermit as I know how he feels. I have deleted several without giving them the courtesy of a response. Not cowardly on my part but the do not deserve the dignity of a response. Almost all did not follow up with a second email.

Sometimes things are said or typed with a head of steam, a few beers or other medical or social matters may influence the clear thinking of the sender. No excuse, but there may be a little more to the story.

Speculating on the content of an email and the identity of the possible "offender" is risky. Publicly naming someone without sufficient proof can certainly be very harmful if an innocent party is wrongly named.

I do not condone abusive emails or PM's but I feel it is far better that such matters are dealt with rationally in private rather than openly on the forum. If the identity of the "offender" is known and the issue is directly forum related then perhaps the best way to resolve the matter is to pass it onto the moderators & administrator of the forum for their action.

Lynch mobs are not the way to go & tend to bring out the worst in people. Often they do not produce a sound resolution to the matter. Remember avatars do not guarantee that you are anonomous on the forum, internet or via emails.

DaveTTC
5th January 2015, 12:25 AM
Don't worry about me naming anyone. The only person I have mentioned any name to is Steve ;)

Even if he confirmed I would not air it here, it's not the place and nothing to be gained. I expect the individual has seen this thread and I hope they are having second thoughts about whatever they said. None of us know the history behind and leading up to the email but I am struggling to even imagine anything plausible on steve's part to warrant such.

I do believe the matter is forum related but it is upto Steve if he wants to let the mods know.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

oreos40
5th January 2015, 01:04 AM
This thread is a little on the intimidating side. There are some glaring faults here. First the email was written personally to one member. It is not anyone elses business what was said in that email or who it was. If the personal email had some validity the person should have felt that they could post it publicly. From some of the responses I can see why the person didn't feel free to voice their opinion openly. Hermit (Jim), handled his response poorly as it was initiated as a personal matter. Made public it can only cause trouble. It preempted choosing sides. Speculation whether wild or partially informed was sure to follow. Especially after the build up in this thread it could be very divisive and damaging to find the person was a friend of one and not of another. It is also fearful that so many would come to the same uneducated conclusion that ostracizing someone is the answer to the any problem. Many of you on one hand have protected Hermit's right to his opinion and in the same post denied the others right to an opinion. Life is a sharing process. We must all take the time to learn as well as teach. There is a lack of knowledge where one doesn't take the time to understand why someone else has a different opinion. Horror of horror's! they might be right! I am in forums on several sites. One thing I like about this forum is the diversity of thought. In some of the others every one is taught to have a hammer so everything becomes a nail. There if someone needs a special tool everyone posts a website to order it. Here someone might suggest considering sharpening a screwdriver instead. In the attitude of some of the posts in this thread this site appears to have a desire to become exclusive as well. I hope not!

China
5th January 2015, 01:26 AM
I second That

Mobyturns
5th January 2015, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately these matters become damaging & divisive very quickly. We have seen the results of such in the recent past. Very damaging for some individuals (either guilty or innocent) to have matters aired more publicly on the forum. Only more hurt & damage is done, whereas they could move on with their life without the burden of all knowing about it.

It is wise to keep in mind that the text of this forum (& many others) can be & is viewed by the general public.

wheelinround
5th January 2015, 09:22 AM
In light of more recent information on this from Steve I will now step away myself from this thread.

To clarify I am still in support of Steve it is up to Steve to decide what to do from here on.

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2015, 10:04 AM
To go back to the original post

... telling me that my opinions and suggestions on woodturning are not welcome by anyone here and that I should pull my head in, since I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think what I don't like about this (and others may agree or disagree) is that the email sender is purporting to speak on behalf of all whom frequent this part of the forum.

From the comments this seems to be incorrect.

If the sender had just emailed his/her position then I wouldn't particularly care and it may even be appropriate to keep such comments between members and private. But he/she has puported to speak on behalf of all of us, me included. Hermit has obviously annoyed the emailer is some fashion but to than say his posts are not welcome by anyone, maybe to give credence to the arguments, is what is annoying.

I don't want the emailer strung up but I think his/her behaviour is beyond the pale - notwithstanding what might be the cause of it. Bullying conduct was mentioned earlier, maybe this fits ...

In any event I do not think it is proper conduct for one member to blast another member by email or PM. If you don't like their posts than ignore them or block them.

We are a disparate bunch and no doubt will get on each others nerves on occasion. I'd suggest a little bit of give and take and no lambasting members :)

rob streeper
6th January 2015, 07:56 AM
We are a disparate bunch and no doubt will get on each others nerves on occasion. I'd suggest a little bit of give and take and no lambasting members :)

As far as this site goes, I don't have any nerves to get on. This site is about hobby work for me and I don't want my hobbies to become a source of upset. I think some here take things said on the site way too seriously.

Sawdust Maker
6th January 2015, 08:43 AM
This site has been likened to one big family...

Have you ever argued/feuded with your sister? Brother? Uncle? Dad?

rob streeper
6th January 2015, 08:47 AM
This site has been likened to one big family...

Have you ever argued/feuded with your sister? Brother? Uncle? Dad?

Of course, but I can't log off of them when they annoy me.:)

ubeaut
6th January 2015, 08:50 AM
Over the years we have lost a lot of really excellent, genuine, informative and helpful members because of harassment, intimidation and similar. Some of us have thick hides and the poison arrows just bounce off, but not everyone has the ability, resilience or willpower to recover from such things.

Hermit (Steve) hasn't been back on line since posting this thread and after an email from him last night I doubt very much if he will ever be back again.

Another good member lost to harassment and in this case, it wasn't anonymous but from a person Hermit considered was a friend. He has chosen to keep the persons identity and email to himself. so the witch hunt and the recriminations end here and now.

Thank you to all who posted their support for Steve. Please do not send him any PM's as he will not be able to receive them.

This thread is now closed.

Neil