PDA

View Full Version : Slipping belt

BlackbuttWA
3rd January 2015, 11:39 AM
Had a heap of hassle fitting a new drive belt to my disc/belt sander.
Now the belt has started slipping badly with no option of tightening.
Did a search & found a product called. "CRC Belt Slip"
Paid $19 for a spray can at the local auto shop, sprayed it into the "V" of the pulley & everything is now great.
I have tried it on other machines & it also stops those annoying squeaking noises.

Just thought I would pass this on.
HTH
Col

rob streeper
3rd January 2015, 12:18 PM
You can also use a little dab of liquid dishwashing detergent rubbed on the contact surface of the belt.

_fly_
3rd January 2015, 12:44 PM
You can also sprinkle with talcum/baby powder.
I got this from a guy who services those big meat slicing machines in Deli's

rob streeper
3rd January 2015, 12:48 PM
Dry powdered rosin, such as is used by weightlifters works too.

chambezio
3rd January 2015, 01:06 PM
I was doing a job for the neighbour, at his place. We needed some air for something so he went and got his from his shed. It was a neat but used CIG compressor with a Clisby pump. He said he got it cheap at a garage sale because when it started to get warm the belt would slip. Well slip it did....I asked the neighbour for a shifter. Didn't slip after that. I must have moved the motor 3mm from where it was.
I had a slipping belt on my drill press. It had run out of adjustment so I added a piece of pyneboard between the motor and the plate that joined it to the carcase. That gave me about 13mm of adjustment. So can you add a spacer between your motor and its chassis?

orraloon
7th January 2015, 03:33 PM
I have used talc powder and even just a rub with chalk. It goes against the grain thinking wise that something slippery does the job but it works.
Regards
John