PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Steel Vise Hardware

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 10:23 PM
Due to the cost of Benchcrafted Hardware, which I really like the idea of I was wondering if anyone had made their own?

With the right equipment it doesn't seem to be that complex especially by comparison to what other things you blokes have made.

Ueee
3rd January 2015, 11:37 PM
A long time ago i considered it Dale. Maybe one day.....
The only difficult thing may be if you want to make a quick release vise, but otherwise an ACME thread and bronze nut to suit. Haw hard can it be.......

Ew

DSEL74
4th January 2015, 12:17 AM
A polished machine handle shouldn't be too hard to salvage or acquired either.

BaronJ
4th January 2015, 01:33 AM
HI Guys, Dale,

Half the fun is making your own tools and other bits and pieces, particularly if it comes from something that can be salvaged or saved from the scrap man.

For those that may think it, Yes I'm a tight old git :no::no::no:

Pac man
4th January 2015, 02:31 PM
What most people ( including me) are buying when they buy the benchcrafted is the image that you see in the videos ,the free spinning wheel that without much effort and a bit of polish that looks good. However the wood doesn't know what vise it is and if it works that's great.

i was lucky in that I bought when the au dollar was high and a forum member on a U.S. Forums motivation was low. I got the same version as groggy and bozinoz landed here for less than you can now buy new. I got lucky.
Dale given the number of people that want these vices and can't afford the shipping a limited run may just pay for your one vise.

the specs,for the unfamiliar are for the leg vise as follows ( off the website)

• Fully-machined massive 8" dia. cast-iron hand wheel provides momentum and precise control. Designed, cast and machined in the USA
• Rolled carbon-steel acme-threaded 1¼" dia. screw with 4 tpi pitch strikes a balance between rapid movement & controlled gradual clamping pressure.
• One-piece acme nut turned from solid 3 1/4" billet of cold-rolled steel.

DSEL74
4th January 2015, 03:42 PM
You did get lucky!

Which version did you get? It seems they have made some upgrades.

I'm interested in what makes the free spinning wheel so impressive (ok a lot faster than a straight drop bar) but from an engineering point of view would it not be a standard thread etc and just the weight of the cast iron/steel handle providing a flywheel action?

Did you get both the front vice and wagon vice?

I'm interested in the slide strips how well/smooth they work vs a design with to round rails.

Pac man
4th January 2015, 04:23 PM
Dale I can't comment as I am not finished installing yet.
the ways for the end vice are steel square sections that have had a slot milled with a round cutter so nothing much different to how it would be done.
The thread is a double lead acme thread on both the tail vise and leg vise. The version I have is an older version with the nut for the leg vise welded to a plate.