PDA

View Full Version : Goldie Woodworking Machine

auscab
4th January 2015, 04:00 PM
I posted this thread here back in Nov 2010

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=126318&highlight=Goldie

I cant add to it now because it is past 730 days old. I have been talking about it on another forum and I just added video's I took of it working and they belong here as well .

This is roughing out some turnings and shaping a run of cabriole legs before carving and fitting to chairs and foot stools.

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTvCnLIYdgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdN1rpZECE

L.S.Barker1970
5th January 2015, 12:26 PM
Rob, I love the goldie !!
I have had old posts opened before by talking to the moderators and asking them to reopen so you can add more.
It would be good to see this post merged !

Melbourne Matty.

auscab
5th January 2015, 07:55 PM
She is a beauty isn't she Matt . I will tinker with it a bit more , a vfd for the motor for the cutter is what I would like, and then a paint job one day ,if I get around to it.
Maybe black and Gold lettering like your thicknesser . I think it has to be Gold for the lettering considering it's name .
Here are pictures of two others I have spotted . One on ebay and the other pictures were sent to me by a former apprentice who spotted it at a Mens shed on the NSW coast . I spoke to the seller of the ebay one and he knew of my Goldie . The colour on the mens shed one matches what looks like the original of mine . I like going back to original most of the time but with this Im Not sure ?

camoz
5th January 2015, 08:36 PM
Rob,

That's a great machine, thanks for the videos, it certainly makes light work of those cabriole legs. The VFD would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Camo

auscab
6th January 2015, 11:31 AM
Yeah Camo , it speeds up the making of them . It's only worth it for a run of ten or more though I suppose . It takes hours to make templates and hours more to set up and test before cutting . If I get a job for two chairs where I needed four front cab legs and four back which are different then its back to cutting out on the band saw and then spoke shaves , eight legs should take eight hours by hand , It would take that to set the machine up ready to go .

Allison74
10th January 2015, 10:22 AM
Hi Rob,
what a cool machine!
you have been on quite a run lately getting some nice machines. You are obviously having fun with it all.
This one didn't seem to need too much work to be up and running, always a big plus!

Have fun,
Alli

auscab
10th January 2015, 10:46 AM
Hi Alli.

Yes it's been a Year ( last year ) of buying and moving BIG things about :U Wadkin as you know.
This old Goldie I bought about five or six years ago, It could be even seven ? I will have to look it up. It is a cool thing with lots of potential.
When I got it it was all jammed up with ancient saw dust and had to be cleaned up , the carriage was the main part that needed attention .
It came off and was taken to bits , and quite a few repairs and parts fiddled with, to much to list now but I did spend many hours on it . and it's working .

It sits under a lean to out back and one problem I had was it rusting up and me endlessly trying to stop it with WD 40 .
We had a knowledgeable guy drop in and point out how useless WD 40 is at keeping rust at bay and he put us on to Inox ,
I did a bit of googleing of WD 40 and rust and so after reading that I orderd in some Inox
I cant believe how good it is , I went out and bought 20 liters of it .

So the Goldie is doing well now , it was suffering from surface rust coming back for a while.
Rob:)

Allison74
10th January 2015, 06:33 PM
Hi Rob,
I didn't realise that you'd had it for so long and done so much work too it.
It looks really good, I bet it will save you a lot of work on production runs.

Have fun,
Alli

auscab
13th January 2015, 12:36 AM
I just found this . its circa 1925 . A Robinson CV , Single Copying lathe.

jcge
13th January 2015, 09:33 AM
Interesting machine Rob - do you get much blowout from the cutter exiting the timber ? John

auscab
13th January 2015, 12:24 PM
Not really any blow out at all John. The cutter angle is fine and the amount taken off with each cutter is tiny. When I do legs for example I rough them out on the band saw first , trying to leave between 5 and 10 mm for the Goldie to work with.
Here is a close up of a test cut , this may have been on one of the faster lead screw speeds.

jcge
13th January 2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the close up and explanation Rob .... I really like what this machine does. John