PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkins and watermelons ?

HUON
14th January 2015, 12:56 PM
When pumpkins/squash and watermelons are planted too close together is it that seasons fruit that are affected or is it the seed planted the following season that is affected ? That is pumpkins tasting like watermelons and different textured flesh.

Berlin
15th January 2015, 02:36 PM
Wow, really? I hadn't heard about this. Does it happen with other cucurbits too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUON
15th January 2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah, a few years ago I picked a pumpkin and it had a faint taste of watermelon and the flesh had the texture somewhere between a watermelon and pumpkin, gave it to the chooks. So I'm not sure whether it was a cross between the two or some dodgy seed. Haven't had a problem with cucumbers, squashes and pumpkins planted closely only watermelons and pumpkins. So these days I grow pumpkins and the neighbour (2 km away) plants watermelon, then we do a bit of bartering over a red or two. Or three................zzz.

pjt
20th January 2015, 12:17 AM
I wonder if it might be the bees hopping from one flower to another and transfering pollen .... or something?

Pete

rod1949
20th January 2015, 10:10 AM
Its the ants... the tiny little ones... being so small you cant see the tiny little hole they make to get inside the pumpkin and watermelon and transfer suffucient flesh across to taint each fruit :B:rolleyes::D:wink::no:

HUON
20th January 2015, 01:33 PM
Cheeky little critters.

pjt
21st January 2015, 01:15 AM
Its the ants... the tiny little ones... being so small you cant see the tiny little hole they make to get inside the pumpkin and watermelon and transfer suffucient flesh across to taint each fruit :B:rolleyes::D:wink::no:

Is this happening after the fruit have formed?

rod1949
21st January 2015, 09:31 AM
Is this happening after the fruit have formed?

:yes: