PDA

View Full Version : Need a 38 tooth change gear for Hafco AL340 lathe

bob ward
14th January 2015, 10:31 PM
My AL340 comes with change gears to cut a wide range of threads, but it can't cut 19TPI (1/4" & 3/8" BSP). Is someone on here who cuts gears able to cut a 38TPI gear for me? No rush, next time you are doing a batch of gears sort of thing.

I know you need more info than this, but to start the ball rolling, the 40 tooth change gear has a diameter of 42.2mm. I'd send one of the existing change gears, presumably the necessary cutter information etc can be derived from that. I doubt that the gears are made of anything exotic, and there is certainly no sign that the teeth have been heat treated.

I can supply the blank(s) if that helps.

PM me, or reply here, or email r-j-wardatbigponddotcom

pipeclay
15th January 2015, 12:46 AM
Let me know if you have no luck,no need to supply a sample but if you supply a blank I require a 9/16" or 5/8" reamed hole in the blank.

zimma
15th January 2015, 09:19 AM
Sounds like MODULE 1.0. You should find that the OD of all of your gears are the tooth count + 2mm.

I did read somewhere else that the AL340 comes with MODULE 1.25 gears, which would make the OD of the 40 tooth gear 52.5mm, which definately doesn't sound right. MODULE 1 comes out at 42mm.

You might be able to find these off the shelf somewhere if you can alter the bore to suit.

Graham

pipeclay
15th January 2015, 09:58 AM
After reading the last post and checking this morning I only have M1.25 cutters so cant help,they must of changed the module size on the 340 somewhere down the track.

bob ward
15th January 2015, 03:30 PM
Mumble...lame excuse.....mumble. Apologies, a 40 tooth gear has an OD of 52.4mm. Thanks for the replies and interest.