PDA

View Full Version : Pink ivory

Ivor
5th November 2001, 08:48 AM
I have got hold of a small bit of wood from Grafton from a maker of wooden flutes. It has a label on it saying "Pink Ivory (Australian)". The bit that I have has a fine grain pattern and is a bit redder than myrtle.

Does anyone know what the species is, if it is likley to be from Australia and how easy it would be to get hold of more of this stuff?

Thanks

Ivor

Gino
6th November 2001, 10:23 PM
Most of the others would know better than me about this. But here's my 2cents worth anyway.
I saw some Pink Ivory timber for sale at Carbitec in Melbourne (very expensive stuff)
but it was from Africa and not Australia.

regards

Gino

ubeaut
7th November 2001, 03:01 AM
Pink Ivory Wood as Gino suggests is an African timber and to my knowledge that is the only place it comes from.

In the book "Checklist of Australian Trees" there are 53 timbers listed with the common name of Pink ...... but not one that even vaguely resembles Ivory Wood.

The colour of the timber you have doesn't sound like Pink Ivory Wood. Most of what I have seen is a cream colour with pink to reddish streaks through it.

Cheers - Neil

paul snape
7th November 2001, 03:37 PM
ivorywood is sometimes called pink ivorywood in districts of occurance because when cut the bark is seen to be light brown and the innermost layer (next to the wood) is flesh coloured hence pink ivorywood . but the timber itself is ivory white and the sapwood of similar colour and hard to distinguish . this timber is found in the dryer rainforest districts between clarence river nsw and bundaberg queensland . its botanical name is siphonodon australis

ubeaut
8th November 2001, 12:47 AM
Well done Paul. Forgot about the Ivorywood it is also known as siphonodon membranaceous.

There is also Ivory Basswood, Ivory Birch, Ivory Curl, Ivory Laurel, Ivory Mahogany, and 2 types of Ivory Walnut. All listed as Australian trees and all from differing Genus.

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif