PDA

View Full Version : Another what is this plant question

HUON
19th January 2015, 02:15 PM
A neighbour brought this back from Queensland, we've no idea what it is, so I thought I'd make some enquiries before I planted it. Interesting leaves, would they be juvenile leaves?

pjt
20th January 2015, 12:07 AM
Don't know what it is, Is it gonna grow in Vic if it's from Qld?

Peter

HUON
20th January 2015, 01:31 PM
Time will tell. I've got avacadoes, macadamias, mountain paw paws, aust teak, flame tree, bunya pines, red cedar, pineapples, coffee tree, Davidson plum, ginger, turmeric, curry bush just to mention a few that aren't supposed to grow here. I tend not to pay too much attention to the plant experts, I plant what I want where I want most survive some don't, just suck it and see.

Berlin
22nd January 2015, 12:28 PM
Harpullia alata, wing leaved tulip.

Small tree, tall shrub. Should do ok down there as it grows up in the mountains.
:)
Matt

HUON
22nd January 2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks Matt, The small leaf like growth along the stem is slightly different in shape to the pictures I saw on the various websites, maybe that's a juvenile leaf or possibly even a sub species.
Much appreciated Matt.

Berlin
22nd January 2015, 04:24 PM
Hmmm... that was the thing that sprang to mind, but I'm no expert so I'm happy to be corrected if you find a better match.

Just looking in my field guide, the leaves of H. alata are pretty variable, some have opposite leaflets, some alternate, some toothed, some simple - so it definitely might be your plant :U

HUON
22nd January 2015, 10:31 PM
Cheers Cobber, just out of interest which field guides do you use?

Berlin
23rd January 2015, 12:03 AM
The reference that all the native plant nuts have in South East Qld is Mangroves to Mountains, it is an amazing reference that covers everything from the border to Gympie and west to the Great Dividing Range. It's a self funded publication by some incredible people who just marched off into the bush like 18th century botanists and described everything they found from minuscule annuals to forest canopy epiphytes and everything in between. :2tsup:

The others I like a lot are Wrigley and Fagg's 'Australian Native Plants' which gives a good snap shot, 'Wild plants of Greater Brisbane' is good for local common things, the matching 'Wildlife' book is great too.
Some fairly old ones 'Native Plants Queensland' (K. Williams), 'Australian Rain-forest trees' W.D. Francis and 'Flowers and Plants of NSW and Southern QLD', then boring arcane ones about specific things.. lots, I like pouring over books. :)

Enfield Guy
23rd January 2015, 07:26 AM
Could be "Ice cream bean" tree. South American native. Leaf structure is very similar.

Cheers
Bevan

Cliff Rogers
23rd January 2015, 08:34 AM
I reckon it is an "Ice cream bean" tree too, they are spreading like weeds up here on the tablelands.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22Ice+cream+bean%22+tree&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gGzBVNjHMITi8AXa8YKoCQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=913
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inga_feuilleei

Berlin
23rd January 2015, 09:27 PM
Man, looks like I'm none for three on plant IDs. :rolleyes: That certainly does look like the plant.

Cliff Rogers
23rd January 2015, 11:11 PM
Dead easy when you have them as weeds in the garden. :D

symamania
27th July 2015, 10:18 PM
Thats a ice cream bean just as 100% Bevan said

HUON
28th July 2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks folks, for the info, I've got it in the glasshouse at the moment. It doesn't look too crash hot right now, somehow I don't think it will get to plague proportions down here.