PDA

View Full Version : First project

yowie
19th January 2015, 09:47 PM
Quite new to turning so quite a basic project - a shark donger for my father in law. Also new to carving so a basic bull shark on there too.337434337433337435

Hermosil
19th January 2015, 11:56 PM
Nice job what timber did you use?

Christos
20th January 2015, 07:26 AM
It's good to get the first project done.
Looks good.

Uncle Al
20th January 2015, 07:45 AM
I reckon the handle is way too short. Needs to be about 6 foot long for me to get anywhere near the bity end of a shark:D.
Looks to be a nice hard bit of timber, and really like the carving.
You might have discovered a nice sideline business flogging these to fishing mates with individual carvings and maybe the guys initials etc.
Enjoy your turning, it is great fun.

Alan...

yowie
20th January 2015, 01:50 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys. I think that the wood is tassie oak. Just a bit of an old 4x4 pergoda post. Don't think I'll be making them for a living with the carving - takes too long to do.

dunamis
23rd January 2015, 08:48 PM
Tas oak is pretty light coloured unless you stained it? Hope it gets out to good use!!

yowie
24th January 2015, 01:43 PM
Just used an outdoor furniture oil as it will be living in a boat. I thought it might offer some protection against the elements. It ceretainly made it a lot darker than the origional colour.

Tim Creeper
26th January 2015, 09:30 AM
Nice first project. The carving is a nice touch. We thinks we might see a bit more of your stuff, ay.

yowie
26th January 2015, 06:48 PM
Cheers Tim, I don't get over this side too often, usually hang out in Big stuff. My turning is more of an aside for when I need something - tool handles etc but I guess the odd bowl etc will get in there. I do enjoy it, really need to go do a few lessons though. Anyone interested??