PDA

View Full Version : 32mm deep socket needed

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 08:31 AM
Gday Guys,
I hope this is the right place for this post.
I am in need asap for a 32mm deep socket 1/2 inch drive. the nut is 8 sided. so guess i would need 8 or 12 sided socket. Impact socket might be better as i can use the impact wrench. Looks like 75mm socket length needed.
trying to loosen a lock nut on a neighbours scooter to adjust the steering stem bearing.
happy to pay for postage both ways.
Cheers Max

nrb
22nd January 2015, 09:27 AM
The pic is not very clear but it looks like you could get a ring spanner on that,maybe even a shifter.

rod1949
22nd January 2015, 10:04 AM
You or your neighbour can get it at your local tool shop and then you'll have it forever.:rolleyes:

The Bleeder
22nd January 2015, 10:20 AM
A tube spanner is what you're after.

Chas
22nd January 2015, 11:04 AM
Gday Guys,
I hope this is the right place for this post.
I am in need asap for a 32mm deep socket 1/2 inch drive. the nut is 8 sided. so guess i would need 8 or 12 sided socket. Impact socket might be better as i can use the impact wrench. Looks like 75mm socket length needed.
trying to loosen a lock nut on a neighbours scooter to adjust the steering stem bearing.
happy to pay for postage both ways.
Cheers Max

Unfortunately, a 12 point socket or ring spanner will not fit an 8 sided nut. A plumber would use a stillson wrench or similar with protection strips between the jaws and the nut. A good quality shifter might also do the job if used carefully within its limits.

Chas

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 11:27 AM
I tried the shifter and no go unfortunately just to tight!
I would purchase a 8 pt socket however I have searched the net and not found one? I did find a 12pt socket but if that doesn't work I,m out of luck
Theres not enough room for a stilston wrench, A tube spanner would be great but im thinking they have 6 sides
The 8 sides is the kicker

Gavin Newman
22nd January 2015, 11:38 AM
Could you not just make a close-fitting "ring" spanner out of heavy FMS by chain drilling and filing then carefully use a hammer on that to tap the nut loose. That's how we used to do it when I had bikes many years ago.

pipeclay
22nd January 2015, 11:49 AM
Do a search on eBay there is a head.set spanner for $13.00 that might work.

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 11:49 AM
Hi Gavin,
Looks like that's my option, thanks for the tip.
I've done the ring around for a 8 sided Socket, No luck!

The Bleeder
22nd January 2015, 12:22 PM
Cold chisel and a hammer. Put the cold chisel on the side of the nut and start tapping. It might come loose.

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 12:36 PM
Tried the cold chisel trick last night didn't move! Will try again tonight with some spinach for dinner.
even rang a workhop that services these bikes and the guy new straight away what I was talking about. They have one of these sockets they share between 2 workshop.
He cant get the tool atm either from the bike company(Kymco)
The guy suggested the cold chisel way as well.

Stustoys
22nd January 2015, 12:38 PM
Is a little heat an option?

Stuart

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 12:54 PM
Hi Stuart,
I guess it depends how much heat, ideally not due to the surrounds being plastic. I have been on the phone to industrial and automotive tooling suppliers and no luck

janvanruth
22nd January 2015, 12:58 PM
it looks like the same construction the bicycles overhere have
so grip the big nut and tighten it
the smaller nut should come right off after that

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 01:07 PM
I can only just get around the big nut with Multigrips, there is so little room in there. I could not move the big nut, which is ironic because the end game is that I need to tighten it probably 1/8-1/4 of a turn to take out the play in the bearing. However to tighten the big nut I need to loosen the 32mm nut

janvanruth
22nd January 2015, 02:44 PM
in tightening the big nut you will loosen the smaller one
and its easier to tighten the big one because it is bigger
the cold chisel on the big one will have more leverage

the big one isnt actually a nut
its it a threaded race for the bearingballs
so if you need to damage one of the nuts you better take the smaller one for it is easier to replace i reckon

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 04:14 PM
in tightening the big nut you will loosen the smaller one
and its easier to tighten the big one because it is bigger
the cold chisel on the big one will have more leverage

the big one isnt actually a nut
its it a threaded race for the bearingballs
so if you need to damage one of the nuts you better take the smaller one for it is easier to replace i reckon

Good call, will see how I go. I would love to make a suitable tool however I don't plan on doing this particular job again!
Might try and drill near the edge of the small nut with a centre drill to help hold an edge of the cold chisel.

Fuzzie
22nd January 2015, 05:19 PM
You might be able to find a tap spanner to fit.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-spanner-tap-kit-7sizes-universal-tss7_p4900075

NCArcher
22nd January 2015, 06:29 PM
This is the type of thing pipeclay mentioned earlier
http://www.parktool.com/product/headset-wrench-hcw-7

This one I think
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEADSET-WRENCH-TOOL-Bicycle-Bike-Bottom-Bracket-Spanner-30-32-36-40mm-/181468700650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a40609fea

Techo1
22nd January 2015, 10:48 PM
A plumber would use a stillson wrench or similar with protection strips between the jaws and the nut. A good quality shifter might also do the job if used carefully within its limits.

Chas

You must have a better class of Plumber up your way Chas, I have never seen one smart enough to even consider using some sort of protection strips down this way, despite the hourly rate they charge.:oo:

Maxi77
22nd January 2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks Fella's for the suggestions. I had success. I ended up drilling a corner with a 4mm hole and using a pin punch and some solid whacks. The nut doesn't look pretty.
I greased up the balls and reinstalled. tightening the race until there was no slack then put the lock nut back on after I cleaned it up. Could not do it very tight as of course don't have the right tool. Now I can feel some resistance(minor binding) when the steering is turned to the right. My fear is that its had this loose bearing for so long it has worn a groove in the bearing race. Not to mention cheap ball bearings instead of tapered roller bearings.
I will let my neighbour know the outcome and suggest they take it to a mechanic soonish for new bearings and a locknut assuming they have the 8 pt deep socket:doh:
I have had enough of this scooter. Also had to fix a starting issue with it and a new speedo drive off the front wheel and fresh engine oil. Ride it to work tomorrow to make sure I'm happy then back to its owner.
Cheers Max

KBs PensNmore
22nd January 2015, 11:02 PM
A scooter is never as good as a decent bike, something like 750+ cc DAMHIKT :D

nadroj
23rd January 2015, 12:02 AM
My fear is that its had this loose bearing for so long it has worn a groove in the bearing race. Not to mention cheap ball bearings instead of tapered roller bearings.

Nothing wrong with ball bearings. Many large motorbikes use them.
Too tight adjustment can make for bad feel and handling - better too loose. (Best just right) :)
I read a suggestion for making your own tube spanner, but possibly only for small sizes:
Find the right sized thin wall tube, and bash the end over the nut, forming the needed shape.

Maxi77
23rd January 2015, 11:37 AM
Nothing wrong with ball bearings. Many large motorbikes use them.
Too tight adjustment can make for bad feel and handling - better too loose. (Best just right) :)
I read a suggestion for making your own tube spanner, but possibly only for small sizes:
Find the right sized thin wall tube, and bash the end over the nut, forming the needed shape.

I have to respectfully disagree in regards to ball bearings at least for use in the steering stem of a motorbike(especially road bike, bad roads and pot holes etc), In fact 1 of the "upgrades" on many bikes is to fit tapered roller bearings and that maybe because the ones used in some bikes are not great. Just because big bikes come with them it doesn't make them necessarily good. Things are built to a budget. Of course some ball bearings are better than others. Caged balls are probably better than loose balls. My Kawasaki Zx7rr uses roller bearings. Again just my opinion. No bearing is good if not maintained and used correctly.
Good idea on the tube spanner