PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus

Tristan Croll
12th November 2001, 08:32 PM
Recently a rather large scribbly bark (?)(approx. 1.5m dia at the base, 30m tall) fell down on the local golf course. The ground crew, in their infinite wisdom, are in the process of pushing most of the pieces into a great big pile ready to burn. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif This is so wrong it almost makes me cry (it's absolutely beautiful timber). My question is: does anyone know how much it costs to hire a mobile sawmill for a day? There's the pieces of this tree, plus a couple of other smaller trees that they've recently cut down. There is also a great big ironbark (still standing) that they managed to kill off during one of their previous rubbish burnings.

Thanks,

Tristan

[This message has been edited by Tristan Croll (edited 12 November 2001).]

Pete
13th November 2001, 09:21 AM
Tristan,
I recently paid a portable miller to slab up a large English Elm tree that had falled due to high wind and rain. He charged me $200/ cubic metre of timber plus a $50 set up fee. I ended up with a few grands worth of timber for $600. Now I only have to wait a couple of years before I can use it.
Unfortunately for you, the guy who cut up my tree is based in the Blue Mountains, a long way from sunny Qld.

Cheers,
Peter