PDA

View Full Version : Gothic floor lamp w.i.p

chuck1
26th January 2015, 01:28 PM
Watching tv the other night and a lamp caught my eye. So I set about sketching it up with my own ideas.
and this is what I came up with its 1.4 metres tall, turned in sections 4 90 by 90 pine and 3 discs 200 diameter plus the base.
it's had 1 coat of satin black paint, which is a first for me, painting my turning.
Hideous but pleasing. Is my thoughts on it. It was just abit of fun
any c and c welcome
thanks for looking.

artme
27th January 2015, 06:07 PM
Strangely beautiful piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Master Splinter
27th January 2015, 06:27 PM
Maybe the odd bit of silver here and there? And a black iPhone on top with a Sisters of Mercy playlist???

Christos
30th January 2015, 02:40 PM
I am thinking that the middle shelf needs to be a little wider.

Also wondering if the piece would be needing a high gloss final coat.

chuck1
30th January 2015, 08:44 PM
The discs are not really shelves, I want to do one with glass discs but have one at about 400 diameter for a table.
gloss coat under way tonight. Cutting it fine to get it in local show. Going to find cable to wire it up tomorrow and maybe a shade.

orraloon
31st January 2015, 10:58 AM
I kind of like it. Would look right at home in an old country house.
My only critical observation is the foot looks a bit small. Thinking stability not the look.
Regards
John

Mobyturns
31st January 2015, 01:56 PM
I kind of like it. Would look right at home in an old country house.
My only critical observation is the foot looks a bit small. Thinking stability not the look.
Regards
John

Must admit I feel the same about the base size. Nice to see a different bent on spindle turning though.

chuck1
31st January 2015, 05:38 PM
You will be pleased to hear I have turned a new base to add to it. Will post a photo when it finished. Just waiting for the clear coat to dry as I type.
My mate's that have seen it like it but would not have it at home.
And glass is expensive in the size I wanted.so I'll be sticking to timber discs for the moment.

artful bodger
31st January 2015, 06:02 PM
Watching tv the other night and a lamp caught my eye.
thanks for looking.

So what were you watching on tv? The Adams family perhaps?
I have an old grandfather clock which is housed in a case that is carved in the "Neo Gothic" style of the late 1800's and early 1900"s. Furniture in this style was more often than not painted/stained black to make it look more spooky.
It must have been fun for you making something completely different, well done.

chuck1
31st January 2015, 08:37 PM
The show is called modern family. Comedy show.
I would like to see the clock, when I went to Norfolk island I went through government house and the period furniture was amazing, but no photos allowed. Table legs cabriole with claw and ball carved feet some based on eagle and one with lions paw and the people there didn't even notice and had worked there for 20 plus years.

chuck1
1st February 2015, 12:30 PM
4 coats of clear and final assembly. Hard time finding 2 metres of 2.5 metre black cord for lead on a Saturday.
think it looks better with the big base.
spraying is not my thing.

artful bodger
1st February 2015, 07:16 PM
I would like to see the clock, when I went to Norfolk island I went through government house and the period furniture was amazing, but no photos allowed. Table legs cabriole with claw and ball carved feet some based on eagle and one with lions paw and the people there didn't even notice and had worked there for 20 plus years.

Ok, here you go....
It's a really tall clock, maybe 8ft. As I don't have a wide enough angle lense to get it all in one picture there are 3.
Timber is English oak stained to look spooky.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=338797&stc=1http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=338798&stc=1http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=338799&stc=1

chuck1
1st February 2015, 07:43 PM
Wow I love it. I'm imagining the hours it took to carve. Thankyou for sharing

Christos
4th February 2015, 08:05 AM
4 coats of clear and final assembly. ......
think it looks better with the big base......

That does look so much better.

chuck1
7th February 2015, 10:45 PM
Well the lamp won first prize and most successful exhibit out of 13 classes. Rather pleased with the result!

smiife
8th February 2015, 04:56 PM
Well the lamp won first prize and most successful exhibit out of 13 classes. Rather pleased with the result!

Hi charlie,
Well done on first prize , great result
Was it a local show ?

chuck1
9th February 2015, 04:25 PM
Yes just the local show, 35 entries over 13 classes.,

Christos
9th February 2015, 09:14 PM
That's a very good result.