PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite turning tools

treefrog
10th July 2005, 07:27 PM
Hello,

If your interested to share your knowledge I am curious to learn what is your favorite wood turning tool or process. A link or a photo would be cool as well.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks

Joe

Cliff Rogers
10th July 2005, 09:15 PM
My bowl gouges. I have a Superflute & 2 Crowns that are the same profile.

My next most favourite would be a Bedan made from a 3/8" square beading/parting tool.

smidsy
10th July 2005, 11:33 PM
My favourite tools would have to be the Vicmarc chuck and bowls jaws (excellent quality and easy to use) and my two Hamlett chisls - a half inch bowl gouge and a half inch skew.

The Hamlett chisels are just wonderful - razor sharp straight out the packet, great to look at, wonderfully balanced and an absolute pleasure to use.

Cheers
Paul

Ashore
10th July 2005, 11:49 PM
My router it turns round and round and depending on the bit makes all the shapes you can imagine

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2005, 12:21 AM
A Sorby 14" hollowing tool for vases and his 1/2" spindlemaster 'cos when it cames to skew chisels my nick says it all. :(

My most often used tool would have to be the ol' 60-grit gouge 'cos it fixes the mistakes I make with most everything else. :D

Little Festo
11th July 2005, 10:36 AM
I have a Glaser half inch bowl gouge. Problem is that I use it for almost everything, I think that (maybe) I use it too much, it just seems it can go onto auto pilot and dosen't need me to drive it. Also my Rolly Munro hollowing tool gets a fair workout - and of course the lathe.

Peter

TimberNut
11th July 2005, 11:33 AM
My vicmarc VL300 lathe.

If there's a better lathe available in Australia, I don't need it!
Match that with a VM120 chuck and that's more than you'll ever need (except for more 120's, and a multitude of tools, and I want, I want, I want....... hehe.

Other than that, my 1/2 inch oval skew. Took the time to get my head around the little bugger, and now it's used so much I need a second one!
Oh yeah, also a Hamlet 1/2 inch deep flute gouge for whatever the skew can't do.

Cliff Rogers
11th July 2005, 02:00 PM
Oops, I forgot about my Vicmarc gear & my Teknatool Super Nova chucks.

How was your holiday Ian?

TimberNut
12th July 2005, 01:48 PM
Hi Cliff. was surprised you hadn't mentioned the lathe!!

the hol was GREAT. got the missus to empty her bag up there so I could fill it with some nice Purple Gidgee I came across. The guys checking it at the airport were a little surprised!!!

dunno what she's going to do without the stuff we left there so i could get the wood back, but that's her prob, right?!

Tolga woodworks was cool. Timber was over priced, but I was there to see the work anyways. SWMBO has ordered (sorry, requested) some similar pieces for presents, as payment for dragging her all that way. I reckoned it was a nice drive!!

Thanks for all the help planning it. give me a call if you are ever down my ways. I owe you a beer or 3!!

anyway - back to the tool discussions guys ........

rsser
12th July 2005, 09:13 PM
Hello,

If your interested to share your knowledge I am curious to learn what is your favorite wood turning tool or process. A link or a photo would be cool as well.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks

Joe

Fave process is to sketch the dimensions of the next lump of wood on graph paper and play around with possibilities for its final shape. Cheap, little effort, no dust, no shavings to clean up. Just play.

macca2
13th July 2005, 11:30 PM
Cliff, Which Crown bowl gouge has the same profile as the Superfute.
Is it the Masterflute.
Thanks
Macca

Cliff Rogers
13th July 2005, 11:39 PM
Daaaaaaaaa......uuummmm.......Iiiiiiiiiii....eeeeerrrrrr.... Dunno?

It didn't have a name on it when I bought it, it just looked 'xactly the same.

I've since been told (hearsay) that Hamlet were making Crown's gear at that stage & when I had a look at it, the current Hamlet bowl gouge does look just the same too.