PDA

View Full Version : Cotoneaster for turning???

Badger
13th November 2001, 09:29 PM
Having retired to Tassie there are a few jobs the home boss requires to be done before I can renovate an old barn and turn it into a workshop. (All my woodworking stuff is currently crammed into the back of the garage.) One of these jobs requires the removal of two large cotoneaster trees (they grow like weeds over here). Each has several 6 inch trunks (OK I know they are therefore technically bushes) and a short ‘trunk’ about 18 inches high and about 18 inches diameter. My apologies for the units but I still think in furlongs per year despite a 40 year engineering career.

My question is, is cotoneaster any good for turning and, if so, what is the best way to store it till I can get into it? I also have to get rid of a large hawthorn tree which I’m sure is good for turning – right?

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

ubeaut
13th November 2001, 09:46 PM
Bloody marvelous stuff for turning. Highly prized by lace bobin makers.

Hawthorn - Yum. Great stuff.

Everything is good for turning.

Best suggestion I can make is cut it and get it out of the round ASAP. Seal the ends with paraffin wax or beeswax and leave it in a dry airy place till you're ready to turn it.

If you leave it in the round (log) it will crack radially and we worthless in no time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Badger
13th November 2001, 10:00 PM
Thanks Neil

While I appreciate the skill in bobbin making I’ll be aiming at something a little bigger (bowls and vases etc). Will halving the 6 inch branches be enough? I planned to split the big trunks into three.

“Everything is good for turning” Not so!! I tried a bit of what I believe was Tassie oak bit it must have been cut down by captain Cook’s first mate! – spent more time sharpening than turning.

“leave it in a dry airy place” C’mon! this is Tassie!! Nowhere is dry in the winter!! Hmm, perhaps the home boss’s airing cupboard. If you don’t here from the badger again you’ll know I got caught.

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

Baz
15th November 2001, 09:45 PM
Hi Badger,
I have turned a bit of Cotoneaster, easy to turn, great colour for eggs and pears.
Cheers
Barry