PDA

View Full Version : latest effort

bdar
11th July 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi everybody,
Thought I'd post some photos of my latest efforts. All my pens I finish to 2500 and then use shellawax cream, then EEE, and finish off with shellawax glow. The Mount Blancs from left to right are Curly Jarrah, Purple Gidgee, Lignum Vitae, Coolibah Burl and Gold Fields Burl.

Comments and critique welcome

Till next time

Darren

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2005, 04:07 AM
I love the Curly Jarrah, it suits that pen style nicely!

Nice work, BTW.

Babytoolman
12th July 2005, 03:03 PM
They look great. What is the pen style called?

Ruffy
12th July 2005, 04:38 PM
They look like they are Round Top European to me. Not sure as to the brand but would guess at possibly Penn State Industries.

Do I get a prize if I am write :rolleyes:

(Pun intended)

Oh yes Darren, very nice job. Did you have any difficulties with the tenon?

dai sensei
12th July 2005, 07:44 PM
They really look good Darren.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif My preference is the burls, but your choice of timbers all have beautiful grain.

Cheers

bdar
12th July 2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Guys,

To answer all questions, yes the pen type is a European style pen, I have always bought the as Mount Blanc pen through Carb-a-tec in Brisbane. I have got another lot from Gary Pye Woodturning the centre band is about 1.5mm bigger but it is etched. Good pun Ruffy :D, I usually leave a 2mm tenon and pressure fit it. I was on another site and found assembly instructions for the same pen, which they called it a designer twist pen. They cut a 5 to 6mm tenon, which I might try with the GPW pens. The Curly Jarrah I got at Brisbane wood expo from a guy in W.A. I have to agree Neil, the burls are the way to go for pens. I get mine from Brads Burls.

To all things good

Darren

tonysa
13th July 2005, 03:06 PM
very nice pens, i particularly liked the burl too
where did you get the lignum ??? trying to get some myself to try.
what's ebony like to turn, and where's the best place to buy it ?
cheers
tony

barryr
13th July 2005, 04:34 PM
very nice pens, i particularly liked the burl too
where did you get the lignum ??? trying to get some myself to try.
cheers
tonywhere in SA are you Tony , I could spare a small amount of Lignum , enough for a couple of pens if your within driving range of Craigmore .

ps: how thick does it need to be , what I have is about 16.5mm . Also got a little Argentine Brown Ebony enough for a couple of pens too , it's about 20mm x 18mm sq , fantastic grain.

dai sensei
13th July 2005, 09:10 PM

Ebony is Ok to turn, just watch out for the dust in the eyes, I found out the hard way I was allergic.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gif I wear a full face mask, but a tiny bit still got me.

I got one nice uniform black piece and another off-white/black piece of PNG Ebony, both 50x25 by 2m long from Teak & Fancy Timbers here on the Gold Coast. Not sure if they have any left. The pen I made using the black piece almost looks like a resin pen, but polishes up like a mirror. I haven't turned the off-white part yet - I assume the sap wood?

Cheers

bdar
13th July 2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Tony,

The Lignum I got from Carb-a-tec in Brisbane when they use to sell blocks of exotics. I'd buy 2 and 3 inch square by 18 inches long and bring it back home and cut it for pen blanks any smaller pieces I use for minatures. I don't know what I have left I'll check it out and let you know. I think I have some for slimelines, not sure though. Have over 1000 pen blanks laying in boxes, will have to sort them out one day. Tony if you can find realy old lawn bowls they use to be made out of Lignum, this was before the bakerlite ones.

Hi Neil,

The Ebony sounds like a real corker, the stuff with the cream on it, is it mixed through it or on the edge? Tell me how the N.G ebony goes I have some and it is a real chocolate brown.

to all things good

Darren

dai sensei
15th July 2005, 09:47 AM
the stuff with the cream on it, is it mixed through it or on the edge? Tell me how the N.G ebony goes I have some and it is a real chocolate brown
It's on the edge - see photo of my timber stack, I pulled out one piece of the mixed ebony. Also attached a couple of perfume sprayers, definately black with very little brown.

Cheers