PDA

View Full Version : Ride on Mowers.

artme
30th January 2015, 08:24 AM
What are your opinions on different brand ROMs??

I"m looking for comments on reliability, servicing, build quality etc.

Cliff Rogers
30th January 2015, 08:49 AM
You have to try them.

As I said elsewhere, the Greenfield almost cripples me.
Ours is a good basic mower, no catcher, no frills, solid rear axle is good for hills but not needed on flat ground.

We used to have a Cox with a rear catcher, the chute was always blocked with wet grass.
I don't remember having discomfort from sitting on it for long periods.
I blew up the motor on the hills 'cos the motor only had a splash oiler.

My olds have a zero turn jobby that I can't remember the name of, they won't use it 'cos it is deadset scary fast & twitchy to drive & they keep running over things on it.
I have used it, it does take a bit of getting used to & having to hold both handles all the time is a bit inconvenient.

When you go to look, you need to be able to take them for a test run.

artme
30th January 2015, 08:37 PM
You have to try them.

When you go to look, you need to be able to take them for a test run.

I am sure there is plenty of grass that needs mowing and I would be willing to try as many mowers as possible but I doubt the dealers operate like the car dealers!!:no:

powderpost
30th January 2015, 09:15 PM
I had a Hustler Fastrack42 zero turn machine. Loved it but I live on 6 acres with a light sandy soil. The motor, a honda, was fitted at the rear behind the seat and low. The air filter needed cleaning every hour because of the dust and the rear low position of the motor. The left hand axle broke and they replaced it with a heavier axle. I am still wondering why the original axle wasn't "heavier"? Did an excellent job and would have been excellent but for the dust, I enjoyed driving it. Replaced it with a Kubota ride on with a Koehler motor. So far it has been excellent.

Jim

Cliff Rogers
30th January 2015, 10:58 PM
I am sure there is plenty of grass that needs mowing and I would be willing to try as many mowers as possible but I doubt the dealers operate like the car dealers!!:no:

Not for mowing, for comfort & how scary they are to drive.:rolleyes:

Acco
30th January 2015, 11:49 PM

If your dealer isn't interested in bringing a machine out for a trial, go elsewhere.

I've had mowers demoed for 1/2 acres blocks thru to 20 acres.

cava
31st January 2015, 12:52 AM
I have a zero turn Scag for a few acres. They have a good reputation in the commercial lawn mowing industry, and are almost bulletproof.

The seat is sprung with selectable dampening and quite comfortable.

I waited for a few years before I bought, whilst doing my research as I did not want to make any mistakes, and would buy one again.

AdamAnt
31st January 2015, 09:28 AM
Happy with my Greenfields 2nd hand, but can attest to discomfort if on there for a few hours (tho not as bad as whippering for a few hours). Also, have had to repair it once in two seasons owned (maybe 6 yrs old before I bought it). On the plus side, parts were available and with some time and patience youtube got me through. Briggs motor.

artme
31st January 2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the response!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Only have 2000sq.m. and zero turn would be waste of money. Block is clean and easy enough.

A smaller unit would be fine. BUT What brand???

Had a look at Craftsman. Start at about $2500. For that I get headlights I don't need or want!!:no::no:

"But they are all like that!!" :o

AdamAnt
31st January 2015, 09:36 PM
Maybe ring a few repair shops and ask about reliability and serviceability

Christos
5th February 2015, 10:44 AM
The timing of this question is also relevant to me.

I am also looking for a ride on mower that would handle a block where the lawn is not even, the weeds as resilient and robust.

Which brings me to the question are all mowers really suited for harsh Australian conditions?

alexm1
5th February 2015, 08:07 PM
I have a cox, 15 HP, very happy with it but it has no grass catcher. Very reliable, simple design so low maintenance.

Chief Tiff
5th February 2015, 10:58 PM
I have a Toro 44" ride on I bought new 4 years ago for about $4k. Comparable machines I looked at the time were MTD, John Deere, Greenfield and Victa. All around the same price and had the same capacity. What clinched it was the build quality. The Toro has solid castings holding everything together not cheap pressed steel bits. The steering arms have adjustable rose joints; the other machines just use a bent bit of rod stuck into a hole. The steering arms have grease nipples. Finally the dealer set it up and delivered it to my home 12km away and threw in a full tank of fuel, oil & filter for its first oil change and a plastic tipper trailer. I finally got around to buying a new set of blades for it and that only cost me about $70 too. My only "complaint" is that a year later we moved to a bigger property with even more trees and I now wish I had a zero turn!

If cost was the deciding factor I would have gone for whichever MTD/John Deere/Victa was the cheapest at the time.

Oh, Greenfield? We have one at work, if you're riding it it's because you are being punished. Seriously; it's a Trabant being sold at the asking price of a BMW.

simonl
25th June 2015, 09:52 PM
Toro or John Deere followed closely by Husquvarna. Steer clear of MTD, Cub Cadet, yardman etc. We live on just over an acre of flat ground and have owned a Husky for 8 years, no complaints. The John Deere and Toro were slightly dearer but at the time I thought they were a slightly better machine. I just couldn't stretch the budget at the time.

Simon

Bob38S
1st July 2015, 06:07 PM
Have had 2 Cox ride on mowers. We live on 1acre.

First was a Honda powered cream powder coated model, had it 19 years, only ever replaced batteries and blades. Decided to replace it with a new red Cox also Honda powered. Rust was an ongoing problem and the build was much cheaper than the original. Waited 2 years before I had had enough and replaced it especially as it was also no way near as comfortable or easy on my back as the original, also had a number of issues with the microswitches which, when they play up means the machine won't start.

Have now had a Husqvarna for 2 years and 56 hours on the clock, AWD, power steer, Kawasaki powered front deck mulching. The belt only drives the triple blades all of the rest is hydraulic. Absolutely magic machine, you sit between the axles rather than over the back axle and it turns like a forklift as it is articulated in the middle. It virtually turns in its own length. Certainly not a cheap machine but the ride and the job it does is worth it. Have also added a Husqvarna trailer for general yard/garden work. Still on the original blades, which is unreal as we live on an ironstone ridge and plenty of gum tree branches get the chop as well - I only usually pick up the branches if they are thicker than my middle finger.

Here is the new version but it doesn't offer the Kawasaki engine which in my opinion is a mistake.

robbygard
1st July 2015, 07:35 PM
Have had 2 Cox ride on mowers. We live on 1acre.

Have now had a Husqvarna for 2 years and 56 hours on the clock, AWD, power steer, Kawasaki powered front deck mulching. The belt only drives the triple blades all of the rest is hydraulic. Absolutely magic machine, you sit between the axles rather than over the back axle and it turns like a forklift as it is articulated in the middle. It virtually turns in its own length. Certainly not a cheap machine but the ride and the job it does is worth it. Have also added a Husqvarna trailer for general yard/garden work. Still on the original blades, which is unreal as we live on an ironstone ridge and plenty of gum tree branches get the chop as well - I only usually pick up the branches if they are thicker than my middle finger.

Here is the new version but it doesn't offer the Kawasaki engine which in my opinion is a mistake.

i have one of these as well and agree that it is an excellent machine and very reliable ... the front deck lifts reasonably easily (actually it lifts very easily but getting it back can catch your fingers if you're not a bit careful) and you can sharpen the blades easily ... i keep a spare set of blades on hand because, as it is a fairly expensive machine and not many of them locally, they don't hold spares in stock ... whilst it only takes a couple of days to get anything, it makes it easier for me just to change the blades and order a new set ... it is slower across the ground than many mowers but its because it turns on sixpence it gets my 2.5 acres done very quickly .. the zero turns would be no good for me as i have a couple of small hills ... this one feels very safe on it

... had a yardman before which was good for the first three or four years but deteriorated pretty quickly after that and went through belts like nothing

regards david

Bob38S
1st July 2015, 08:08 PM
I bought mine in Hervey Bay and did check on spares when I was doing my research. I was pleasantly surprised when I asked about belts, blades, casters on the front, filters etc to be shown that all was in stock and asked "what would I like?. So no problems.