PDA

View Full Version : Skew blade templates for the LV Honing Guide II

derekcohen
11th July 2005, 02:37 AM
This is an expansion on a previous post, when I offered a set up for the Stanley #140 block plane. Shortly after this, I was asked for a similar set up for a #79 side rabbet plane.

It occurred to me that building templates is quite straight forward, and I’d like to offer a guideline here. The LN #140 will have slightly different template dimensions to the Stanley version, plus the LN comes in both Left and Right versions.

I have built a #140 template (below) as an example of the process. The steps involved are:

1) measure the mouth angle of the skew (see picture below).
2) The other relevant measurement is the distance between the start and stop on the blade registration jig. The setting for a 25 degree bevel is #2 (yellow) on the Honing Guide and Green 17 degrees (or Red 35 degrees) on the Registration Jig.
3) Transfer the dimensions to a durable material (I have used a cutting board), and cut this out.
4) Place the template on the Registration Jig and set up blade.
5) Reverse it for the other hand.

See the first series of pictures.

Making a template for the #79 is exactly the same. I have not made one yet, but took a few pictures and measurements.

1) Settings for a 25 degree bevel are: Green (#3) on the Honing Guide, and Red 45 degrees on the Registration Jig.
2) The template is calculated as above.
3) See pictures below for angles involved.

The rest is up to you.

See second series of pictures.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jack E
11th July 2005, 02:49 AM
Excellent work Derek,

As I have mentioned to you earlier I don't currently have any skew blades but they may be on the cards, if so this info will be very handy.

Jack