PDA

View Full Version : Where there is a will there is normally a way...

Michael G
31st January 2015, 02:35 PM
I think one of my faults is I think too much, followed usually by not thinking enough.
The thinking too much bit usually starts with "Hmm. How would I do that?", followed after a while with "But would that work?" and then "I'd better try it before I suggest it".
The questions I don’t ask (the not thinking enough part) are along the lines of "Yes, but if I make one, what will I do with it" and "I could probably make one but would it be better to let X gain the experience/ satisfaction/ have the pleasure" and so on. (My wife would probably add "how much will it cost", but let's not go there)

This story is probably triggered by Andre and his Stent story. In order to make it work he needs a rack and pinion. A pinion is not an issue. I've made lots of spur gears and I'd like to think I have a pretty fair idea on how to make them. The rack was another matter. I did some small racks for Bob recently but they were a bit of a cheat – at only 50mm long or there about, not a great stretch at all. I am meaning to (one day) make up a rack cutting head and index mechanism for the mill but time, money and other considerations mean that it has not happened yet.

(The "how would I do that" thought)
Andre needs a 20DP rack, 3/8" square and 9" long. No. can't do it. No way of getting a cutter rotating parallel with the long axis of the mill. Although… The horizontal arbor is around 13" from bearing to drive flange…theoretically the cutter could be moved in say 3 or 4 inch increments along the arbor if the rack blank was perpendicular to the long axis. Well – that might work. Still, I couldn't do it as I have no way of holding the blank. 3/8" isn't much to hold onto, especially with a 2.74mm DOC – could I start with something deeper, cut it off later. Yeah, that could work. Still got to hold it on the mill table though. Turn the vice around? No. I'd have to remove the key on the bottom, lining it up and then holding it would be a pain and I couldn't get a good swing on the handle to tighten it. Just as well. I've got enough to do at the moment. Really needs something like some toe clamps... Hang on – I think I have some of those in a drawer that I got once for a low profile job. Probably just fit too. Hmm.

(The "but would that work" thought)
So – hold a deeper than needed blank with some toe clamps, cut with a rack cutter and move the cutter along the arbor as needed, indexing the circular pitch to cut the rack. Yes, potentially that might work.

(And then)
I suppose there might be some issues I haven't thought about. Better try it I guess. Wouldn't want to suggest something that isn't terribly practical…

and so, Alea iacta est ("The die is cast"- attributed to Julius Caesar)

It turned out the job was relatively easy. I clamped the blank upright between some strips of material so I had cutter clearance , In the foreground you can see the toe clamp - this is a commercial one called 'Mitee-bite" but Harold Hall (who signed up recently as a member) I recall did a "how to make" in MEW several years back. For clamping of low profile jobs they are very good.
The next photo is about half way through. At just under the 3" mark I would stop, wind the table back and then reposition the cutter on the arbor. Line the cutter up with a cut, index and off I'd go again. This rack took 4 changes but surprisingly they did not take long and realigning the cutter was easy.
The final result - I made up a test gear to try on it - it meshes nicely. There do not seem to be any awkward or hard spots where I repositioned so I guess I can say that yes, this is one way to make a short length of rack.

Of course, now I have an ethical dilemma - (One of the things I didn't think about in the first place). Do I give this to Andre and prevent him having the learning experience of doing it himself, or should I keep it - even though I have no use for it - so he can gain that experience?

Michael

KBs PensNmore
31st January 2015, 03:29 PM
I think one of my faults is I think too much, followed usually by not thinking enough.
The thinking too much bit usually starts with "Hmm. How would I do that?", followed after a while with "But would that work?" and then "I'd better try it before I suggest it".
The questions I don’t ask (the not thinking enough part) are along the lines of "Yes, but if I make one, what will I do with it" and "I could probably make one but would it be better to let X gain the experience/ satisfaction/ have the pleasure" and so on. (My wife would probably add "how much will it cost", but let's not go there)
Of course, now I have an ethical dilemma - (One of the things I didn't think about in the first place). Do I give this to Andre and prevent him having the learning experience of doing it himself, or should I keep it - even though I have no use for it - so he can gain in experience?

Michael

Nice job Michael, well executed, it's surprising how a job can be accomplished with a little thought. I'm a bit the same, I usually have half a dozen jobs on the mind, scrounging bits for this and that, waiting for a part/material to come to finish something or other, and then thinking of the next project when there are still a heap to be finished!!:rolleyes:
First question you would have to ask yourself is, "Has Andre got the mill to do this job on?" If the answer is NO, well you've done him a favour.
If the answer is yes, maybe he can/should have the learning experience! After all you've now shown him how.
Second question "should I keep it - even though I have no use for it" If the answer is yes. The question arises where do I keep it, no doubt the gremlins will hide it on you, it will probably take as long to find it as to make one, or it wouldn't be long enough, or more questions etc.
If the answer is no, and who would want such a thing, there's probably a mug at Murray Bridge, that might buy it:D.
Kryn

wm460
31st January 2015, 04:12 PM
Most impressive Michael:2tsup::2tsup: Your photos make it easy to understand.

PDW
31st January 2015, 07:06 PM
I just used a shaper when I needed to make a rack. No issues with length at all.

In fact it's one of the few uses I can think of for a shaper that I'd have trouble doing without one. Not impossible, just more hassle.

PDW

Oldneweng
31st January 2015, 08:34 PM
I was wondering about those ones you made for Bob and whether you had solved this problem. I do remember when you were pondering how to cut a rack some time ago. Very nicely done.

Dean

welder
31st January 2015, 09:32 PM
Very Nice Michael, I wish I had a horizontal mill and some cutters and I would have made one myself failing that I was either going to buy a rack or wait till I get a diving head and a DRO which I have decided Will be a 20th birthday present to myself. I would then have to make a tool sharpening jig for the surface grinder to grind a tool for the atlas shaper which has 9 3/8 " table travel :;

Michael G
31st January 2015, 09:44 PM
You'd better PM me the address you would like them sent to then - no point in buying a rack if I have a suitable one here. Don't get too envious of others having tools able to do things yours can't. I think when I was your age the biggest and best I had was a Hitachi router (which I still have).
As Kryn says, you now have an idea on how you could have made one so next time...

Michael

Michael G
31st January 2015, 09:48 PM
I was wondering about those ones you made for Bob and whether you had solved this problem.

The ones for Bob were easy - the cheat that I mentioned was that I screwed the blanks to a steel plate and then just held that in a vice. They were small enough that they cleared just about anything that could get in the way.
These needed a little more thought

Michael

simonl
1st February 2015, 09:31 AM
Nice work Michael.

Those low profile clamps by Harold Hall look pretty good. I was always going to make some and never have, yet. :rolleyes:

Simon

Vernonv
2nd February 2015, 10:46 AM
Another way to do it, if your mill has a universal head, is to run the head turned 90º. Depending on your lateral movement range, you could do quite a long rack that way.

PDW
2nd February 2015, 11:05 AM
Another way to do it, if your mill has a universal head, is to run the head turned 90º. Depending on your lateral movement range, you could do quite a long rack that way.

Have you actually tried doing that? Because unless you make a truly ENORMOUS diameter rack cutter and can slow the spindle down far enough to keep from burning off the teeth, you are not going to have the ability to do it. The cutter will not reach the workpiece.

There is a reason milling machine manufacturers supplied rack cutting attachments. If you look at the pictures of them, you will see that they had a very low profile to minimise the need for larger cutter diameters.

I have some rack cutters - they're considerably bigger in diameter than the normal gear cutter. None of my 4 mills could use them with the heads swung to parallel the long travel - the width of the heads is greater than the cutter diameter by quite a considerable margin.

So that's why I ask if you've actually done it. If you have, I'd appreciate pictures of your setup just in case there's some way to set up the head I've not considered.

PDW

Vernonv
2nd February 2015, 11:22 AM
Does this help you picture it? You could also use a single point cutter, if you wanted to. :roll:

eskimo
2nd February 2015, 12:52 PM
:2tsup: Micheal

Me....I would have given up thinking about how to do it and just took it to someone else to do

PDW
2nd February 2015, 01:30 PM
Does this help you picture it? You could also use a single point cutter, if you wanted to. :roll:

That *is* a rack cutting attachment. Unless the overarm/steady extension comes off, it can't be used as a general purpose universal milling head. Somewhere I have a copy of Browne & Sharpe's Treatise on Mills and Milling Machines, it has a lot of nice pictures in it too.

You didn't answer my question, either. Have you actually done it as you describe and as that picture shows? Or did you pull that picture off of the Web somewhere?

There was a rack cutting attachment on eBay sometime last year. First one I've ever seen for sale there. I didn't bid on it though, insufficient need (and space/money).

PDW

Vernonv
2nd February 2015, 02:12 PM
That *is* a rack cutting attachment. Unless the overarm/steady extension comes off, it can't be used as a general purpose universal milling head.
Maybe you call it a rack cutting attachment, but what it *is* is a universal milling head according to people who made it (but possibly you might know better :rolleyes:).

Yes the support arm comes off, and you don't need the milling overarm, and yes it can be used as a normal vertical milling head.

I have used it in both configurations and because of the offset spindle, when in horizontal mode it is plainly clear that you don't need an overly large cutter to clear the bottom of the head.

It's a very handy milling head ... you should see if there is one available for your mill.

Michael G
2nd February 2015, 05:46 PM
Interesting bit of kit. What brand is it?
The head on my mill is more the conventional type, so I'm stuck with either using the method I've described or making/ getting a rack cutter. The attraction of making one is that I'm hoping I might be able to have the cutter sitting out proud of the attachment so I can also cut internal gears - planetary gearbox territory!

Michael

Vernonv
2nd February 2015, 09:55 PM
Interesting bit of kit. What brand is it?It's a TOS FA 3A Universal mill. Czech made - very solid bit of gear.

The attraction of making one is that I'm hoping I might be able to have the cutter sitting out proud of the attachment so I can also cut internal gears - planetary gearbox territory!Sounds like an interesting project. Would love to see it if you decide to tackle it.