PDA

View Full Version : dust bin ports may be to small

la Huerta
11th July 2005, 10:00 AM
i have been looking at the many dust seperation bins that people have built on the forum and most said they noticed a drop in suction...could the extractor be starving for air , as everyone uses 4 in ports on the bin lid, will 6 in make a difference, the first thing i noticed on a cyclone is the huge ports...any thoughts or coments i am sure would be appreciated by many...

dai sensei
11th July 2005, 07:51 PM
I used to have a 2 stage system, but ended up going to a cyclone. I only have 4" ducts as I am only running a modified 1hp blower (see http://www.dai-sensei.com/ and go to dust collection). In my case, 6" would not have helped. Mind you, with the spagetti of junctions and tubing I had, it didn't have much hope.

Cheers

la Huerta
22nd July 2005, 04:37 PM
hi dai sensei, i still have planes to build a cyclone but strugle to find the time or the space in my workshop as my skills grow so does my tool collection, i do have a large bench and there is room under for a 2 stage system and all my work is done around this bench, so the longest DC hose will be 3m but most time 2m is long enough to collect from the tools, hardly any ducting required, so a cyclone may be an overkill, i was thinking if i use 2 bins in a 2 stage DC , do you think that will collect most of the dust so i don't need a bag, the outlet will just go out side...

dai sensei
22nd July 2005, 08:02 PM
You will probably still need a bag, but you could always try without and see how you go. Use a bit of wet white cardboard in front of your outlet and see how much sticks, or just use the bag and see what it collects.

Bins and cyclones both cause suction losses. If your going with the bin, use a inlet bend inside the lid to circulate the dirty air, it then is more effecient and you have more chance of collecting more of the fine stuff. Plenty of posts on this forum to give you guidance.

Cheers