PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 42x

planemaker
2nd February 2015, 09:55 PM
The hammer tip on my early 42x was no longer making close contact with the anvil. I had purchased new replacement springs thinking that would resolve the problem but that didn't help. The fault was the actual length of the tip. Or lack of to be more precise. I had an Eclipse 77 saw set in very good condition just gathering dust in the workshop. So I pulled it apart and noticed that the parts I needed were of very similar dimension. Hmm. Guess what. They are perfect match. The parts I am referring too are the large outer sleeve, the inner piston(hammer), and both the springs. Swapped these parts over. Tested out the my 42x. Sweet as. :cool:

Stewie.

rob streeper
2nd February 2015, 10:52 PM
The hammer tip on my early 42x was no longer making close contact with the anvil. I had purchased new replacement springs thinking that would resolve the problem but that didn't help. The fault was the actual length of the tip. Or lack of to be more precise. I had an Eclipse 77 saw set in very good condition just gathering dust in the workshop. So I pulled it apart and noticed that the parts I needed were of very similar dimension. Hmm. Guess what. They are perfect match. The parts I am referring too are the large outer sleeve, the inner piston(hammer), and both the springs. Swapped these parts over. Tested out the my 42x. Sweet as. :cool:

Stewie.

What happened to the original anvil? Did it break off in pieces?

planemaker
2nd February 2015, 11:22 PM
No Rob. The anvil is fine. The length of the hammer tip had been filed that far back that it no longer reached the anvil, regardless of how much pressure was applied to the pistol trigger.

Stewie;

Heavansabove
4th February 2015, 05:57 PM
Stewie, the Eclipse hammer is 23 odd degrees vs 15 for the 42X, therefore the anvil and hammer will not line up precisely. Around the other way of course it won't work. Because the angle is higher on the 77 should work just fine... I think.

Cheers
Peter

planemaker
4th February 2015, 09:00 PM
Hi Peter. As long as the hammer angle is greater than the anvil angle it should work fine. It did crossed my mind later that the new springs I had purchased would have also given me the option of filing the shoulder back slightly on the 42x hammer. This would have allowed the flat key profile to extend further out from the key-way. I will revisit this project and take some photo's when time permits. Appreciate your feedback.

Stewie;