PDA

View Full Version : ebay dado blades

Gumby
11th July 2005, 01:52 PM
Anybody tried these dado sets from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4393254539&category=20791&sspagename=WDVW

I'm about to lash out and gets some but not sure what brand to buy. It seems I should get 8" after doing a search on here (saw is 12", 3HP and 3 drive belts)

any comments, thouight, recommendations or donations ? ;)

fletty
11th July 2005, 07:25 PM
Gumby, I've used a Delta 6" set for some years and they have been, at best, "adequate". The outer blades cut a V into the outside corners deeper than the flat on the dado. I'm saving for a CMT set as I used a borrowed set and the result was fantastic. I've always found the 6" good enough for my work but, in a recent thread, Rocker pointed out that the 8" set is better if you use the outside blades mounted either side of a spacer to cut tenons. With your monster of a table saw you should have no problems, Fletty

PS a gentleman is one who takes his weight on his elbows

ozwinner
11th July 2005, 08:52 PM
I bought the 8" from this mob, cost half of what I could get here.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=147-252

Al :cool:

Gumby
11th July 2005, 09:31 PM
I bought the 8" from this mob, cost half of what I could get here.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=147-252

Al :cool:

and are they good Al? They look OK.
How lkong did they take to ship out ?

ozwinner
11th July 2005, 09:33 PM
How lkong did they take to ship out ?
They are great, took 1 week from the USA.
I would get the shim set too though, I didnt at first but I got them later.

Al :)

render2017
11th July 2005, 09:35 PM
The Dado you illustrate has two tooth chippers, a definite disaster in my mind, end up with a rough bottom. You need at least a four tooth chipper, the more the better.

I have tried the Avenger 8" X 42 Tooth set from Northwood which cost me $149 at the last years Brisbane working with wood show. They have a five tooth chipper set.They do a great job, but I will admit they still put a small nick in each corner. It does not appear to have any wear despite my clumsy efforts to destroy it.

Here is link ; http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/category101_1.htm

I was also sold a new Infinity Dadonator recently by Northwood who imported a few, and while I have not done a lot with it yet, it does a fantastic job, with a totally flat bottom. But it is an expensive set, over $300, I think the Avenger is better value. I think the Infinity is as good as anything you can get at any price. Reviews in the mags are glowing !

Infinity Link: http://www.infinitytools.com/departments.asp?dept=1194

My opinion for what it's worth. (which is not much as a newbie !)

Gumby
12th July 2005, 10:21 AM
The Dado you illustrate has two tooth chippers, a definite disaster in my mind, end up with a rough bottom. You need at least a four tooth chipper, the more the better.

Thanks for that. I've now given the ebay option the flick and will check out the Northwood option as well.

Gumby
12th July 2005, 05:34 PM
Well, I went down to Gustec in Bayswater today (the old Carbatec store). Out the front were a few Carba-tec dust extractors but inside, whole place looked much better stocked than it was previously. In fact it looks really good.

Anyway, they had a sign out the front :

10% Discount - Today Only

and they had some nice CMT 8" dado sets , $349 down to $310 and I'm a bit impulsive .............well, you know the rest.

They all lived happily ever after. ;)

Grunt
12th July 2005, 06:14 PM
I'm a bit repulsive
We know.

:D:D

Ashore
12th July 2005, 06:19 PM
How lkong did they take to ship out ?Whats a lkong gumby

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

HappyHammer
12th July 2005, 06:45 PM
Whats a lkong gumby
It's like a shlong but shorter :D

Or possible just prior to Mekong;)

HH.

Gumby
12th July 2005, 06:55 PM
Mum !!!!

They're pickin' on me again !!! :(

:D

ozwinner
12th July 2005, 06:57 PM
You must be made of money not plastercine (sp).

You would have saved over $100 if you ordered the set I got from the USA.

Al :p

Gumby
12th July 2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah but I wasn't sure on the conversion of the $ and postage costs and I want them now and they were there and the guy talked me into it and they looked nice.and.........

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
12th July 2005, 07:11 PM
... and they looked nice.and.........

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:
Have you used it yet? probably a bit too soon. One does have to gloat over the newly acquired items first, doesn't one?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

BTW, are you a 5/8" merchant or a 1" one (I'm talking arbor size here, so watchit!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif)

What's wrong with router anyway?

Cheers!

Gumby
12th July 2005, 07:17 PM
Have you used it yet?

Yeah, I've built a wall unit and TV cabinet since i got home ;)

BTW, are you a 5/8" merchant or a 1" one (I'm talking arbor size here,

What's an arbor ?

What's wrong with router anyway?

um, let's see now......it doesn't float ?? :D

Auld Bassoon
12th July 2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I've built a wall unit and TV cabinet since i got home ;)
Well, I'll be trenched. That's fasthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

What's an arbor ?
It's the hole you stick the 1" thing intohttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Gumby
12th July 2005, 07:25 PM
It's the hole you stick the 1" thing into

she's not home yet :(

Gumby
13th July 2005, 07:54 PM
Dear Fixit People (and assorted others)

the story continues...nobody (Al) say "I told ya so !"

I got the CMT set as I said, but never thought about the bore size. They were 30mm and way too big for my saw. I exchanged them today for a set (Freud) which were 5/8" and the guy said that was the same as 16mm, which is what I thought I had. The current blade has the insert ring which fits fine, as does the Triton sanding disk with it's insert ring fitted. No probs with these.

The new set of dados look OK but don't go on. They are too small by a whisker and I don't want to force them or I'll stuff up the thread. I thought alll these werer pretty standard but it appears not. I'll take them back again tomorrow but is the problem with the saw arbor or this set of Italian blades ?

signed,

:confused:

a dado newbie :(

ozwinner
13th July 2005, 08:06 PM
TOLD YA SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al :D

Auld Bassoon
13th July 2005, 08:11 PM

Al :D Why did I just KNOW what would be coming nexthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Maybe somethin to do with the Imperial Vs. Metric sorta-kinda equivalence?

Cheers!

Soren
13th July 2005, 08:25 PM
The new set of dados look OK but don't go on. They are too small by a whisker and I don't want to force them or I'll stuff up the thread. I thought alll these werer pretty standard but it appears not. I'll take them back again tomorrow but is the problem with the saw arbor or this set of Italian blades ?

signed,

:confused:

a dado newbie :(

Gumby

I had the same issue when I had my new saw arbor milled. I asked for it to be milled to 5/8", but the engineering shop milled it to 16mm (or so he said) and the 5/8" blades would not fit,
and he re-milled it to 5/8".
Based on the above, my assumption is that 5/8" must be a 'poofteenth' smaller than 16mm, and if that is correct, then maybe your Freud blade is 5/8" and your arbor is 16mm ??!!

Greolt
13th July 2005, 09:08 PM
16mm is about five thou bigger than five eights of an inch

0.6299194 of an inch actualy 0.625 is five eight

Five thou may not sound much but it is quite a bit when talking about something fitting on a shaft etc.

Greolt

E. maculata
13th July 2005, 09:19 PM
16mm is about five thou bigger than five eights of an inch
0.6299194 of an inch actualy 0.625 is five eight
Five thou may not sound much but it is quite a bit when talking about something fitting on a shaft etc.

Yeap the man is right 5/1000"= 1/8 of 1 mm, too much to force safely, & as I've had this problem myself, let us just state industrial "reamers" are very handy in the stix :)
BTW I have a Dado set with 2 blade chippers and am more than happy with the finish, sometimes in cutting & rippingLESS=MORE ;)

Studley 2436
13th July 2005, 09:45 PM
Couldn't help playing with the numbers. 16mm = 0.630" 5/8 = 0.625 doesn't sound much but 1mm is about 40 thou so 5/8 = 15.875mm

Got my Dado set last week from Carbatec in Brisbane and I did check first that they were sending me the 5/8 bore. Got here and no problems at all

Studley

Gumby
13th July 2005, 11:14 PM

Al :D

:D :D smartarse ! :D :D

so the answer is get a 16mm set (if possible)
or get the arbor milled down to 5/8" (then existing blades would be too big)

Strangley enough, the metal shims are a perfect fit :confused:

Best solution is ???

Greolt
14th July 2005, 03:09 PM
Timbecon has a list of spacers they carry on their website made by NZ company Linbide.

They don't list any that are 16mm ID. Lots at 5/8" ID.(listed as 15.9mm)

However when you go to Linbide's own site they don't list any at 5/8" only 16mm. Which when you look at the codes are actualy 5/8"

So you can see why people get confused.

I think these people believe that all arbors called 16mm are really 5/8"

Not so. Just ask Gumby:mad:

Greolt

Edit: Typo. Reading too many Gumby posts.;)

Gumby
14th July 2005, 03:41 PM
I just took them back to Gustec today and they were as confused as me. Out of interest, the shims fitted just fine :confused:

Anyway, they checked the blades and found that they were a faulty set. The bore wasn't even round. It had a rise in it and was the same on every blade.

Why do I always get the bum sets. If I buy a TV, I always pick the faulty one. :(

Oh well, new set on back order for next week. And I was going to dado all weekend too. :rolleyes:

At least I know it isn't a problem with my arbor.

speedy
14th July 2005, 03:52 PM
I had a similar problem with my new dado set, just wouldn't quite fit on the arbor. I did some measuring with the verniers, my saw (tsc-10hb) was new only 2 weeks old, this is what I found; the thread was slightly larger on the very end, and due to the machining process the thread was rough and uneven, not finished properly (often the case with newly machined threads). The solution take one fine flat file, remove any blades etc from arbor, turn on saw, carfully file the thread flat and even. care should be taken to removethe absolute minimum of metal. The tops of the threads should finish slightly flat, perhaps a 10th of a mm. I can post a photo if you would like to see.:cool::cool:

Gumby
14th July 2005, 03:57 PM
That's interesting Mr Gonzales, thanks. I have noticed that the standard blade is a little difficult to get on the end of the arbor and I assume it's slightly burred. But it isn't to the point that you can't get it on. I'll wait for my new dado set and see but maybe a LITTLE filing might help. There was definitely a problem with the dados though - lucky I didn't get them from OS. (eh Uncle Al) :D

Redgy
14th July 2005, 05:00 PM
Why do I always get the bum sets. If I buy a TV, I always pick the faulty one. :(

I've got a car for sale if ya want it...

Gumby
23rd July 2005, 07:18 PM
After expecting the new dado sets to arrive at Gustec last Wednesday, they still hadn't got them by today. Although I'd prefer to have bought them there, I had to get a refund (no problems with that and I wanted to use them this weekend) and headed down to the new Carba-tec store this morning. They had them in stock so I came home with a new CMT 5/8 set, hoping it would fit.

It was perfect in fact and my arbor is plenty long enough to set up for a 19mm cut with the end nut fully on the thread. That means i could go wider if required by backing it off a turn or two, but I doubt I'll ever need to do that.

The test cuts were great so I built a bookcase for my son's room this afternoon. Man O man, is it easier with a dado set or what ! Much quicker and far more accurate than the last one I did on the router table. It was a good day in Gumbyland.

One strange thing about Gustec though. They obviously still have supply problems plus they put stickers on their invoices with the Gustec details. The problem is that the phone number on their new stickers diverts to a message service which says "Welcome to Carba-tec, out new address is Osborne Av Springavle and our new phone number is ...blah blah. " I can't work that out. The Gustec phone number is the same as it was when they were Carba-tec. Why would they put a new number on their stickers which is wrong ?? :confused:
Oh well, not my problem but it must cost them sales.

E. maculata
23rd July 2005, 07:31 PM
The test cuts were great so I built a bookcase for my son's room this afternoon. Man O man, is it easier with a dado set or what ! Much quicker and far more accurate than the last one I did on the router table. It was a good day in Gumbyland.

Hallelujah, another who has seen the light, praised be the sawtable method
:D