PDA

View Full Version : Great Jig but...

martink
11th July 2005, 06:08 PM
Hi all,

I own an Incra Ultra jig and it's great. The only problem is that it's all imperial (the scales are all in inches). I have tried putting in times etc into the slots that are metric but they all slip around. Anyone heard of metric strips that I can use or have any ideas on how to metric'fy this thing?

Thanks,

Martin.

MikeCrawshaw
11th July 2005, 07:01 PM
Hi Martin,

I have just purchased a set of metric racks for my Incra Ultra. I contacted Incra via their web site. Part of the reply I received from Linda Berger is copied below:-

"5 metric racks with one scale would be $6.95. Additional scales (also 0-430mm) are $2.95 each. We may still have some of the old "Quick Draw" blank template sets available. I'll have to check with the warehouse to see if they can locate any. (I believe the price on those was $14.95, but I'll have to check the archives for that one.) "

I ordered 2 sets of racks and a set of blank templates and the cost including postage to UK was U$32.55.

Obviously the standard templates are all designed for use with imperial racks but you can make your own metric versions using the blanks. The blanks are short but double width, easy to cut with a sharp modelling knife or scalpel.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mike

Krunchy
11th July 2005, 09:32 PM
Howdy,

Woodpeckers in Australia now carry the metric inserts - http://www.woodpeckers.com.au (http://www.woodpeckers.com.au./) I dunno how the cost compares.

Krunchy.

scooter
11th July 2005, 11:54 PM
Myer megamart have paper tape measures (in the TV area) about a metre long that you could trim down to fit the template slot, they have metric & imperial on them. You could even laminate it.

Could use this just as an instant conversion aid with the imperial racks, or if you bothered to get the racks it would probably be better to get the metric templates also.

Good luck...........cheers..........Sean, original Jig owner :)

Gwhat
12th July 2005, 07:20 AM
Howdy,

Woodpeckers in Australia now carry the metric inserts - http://www.woodpeckers.com.au (http://www.woodpeckers.com.au./) I dunno how the cost compares.

Krunchy.

To clarify the issue, we have a small quantity of Metric Racks (green vs. black) in stock, and very few metric scales (0-430mm) Incra in the US are checking their stocks for us, I will let you know the exact quantity ASAP.

Next time Incra have scales printed they will print some 0-430 & 430 - 860, but as they wait and print in a huge quantity it may be some months away before we see them.

Rather than put them up on our web-site we suggest anyone requiring metric racks or scales E-mail us [email protected] .

I've also asked about the 'Quick Draw' blank templates hopefully they will have a few of these available for us Aussies.

The limited availability of metric scales shouldn't put off new Incra users as when it comes to the actual dovetail / box joints, the pins & tails are just numbers on the template, not Imperial dimensions. Really the few times a Incra user has to refer back to Imperial is limited, particularly if you use a Auto Centre to set the centre of the boards being jointed.

One other point, the Metric racks will work with all but the LS system, i.e. on all the rack to rack positioners, not on the Lead Screw system.

I trust that this explains the issues.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

Gwhat
12th July 2005, 08:42 AM
Further to my previous post I've just received word from Incra that they only have 20 scales in stock, plus the 4 we have, it's not good news.

We've ordered the balance of their metric scales + metric racks + Quick Draw (blank templates) I'll post as soon as the arrive (10 - 14 days).

If you're interested in a Metric upgrade E-mail us at [email protected]

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

martink
12th July 2005, 08:43 AM
The limited availability of metric scales shouldn't put off new Incra users as when it comes to the actual dovetail / box joints, the pins & tails are just numbers on the template, not Imperial dimensions. Really the few times a Incra user has to refer back to Imperial is limited, particularly if you use a Auto Centre to set the centre of the boards being jointed.

I agree here, the Incra Jig rocks for dovetails especially the templates that are included in the optional 'projects' book. Easy to use, and not that much imperial/metric conversion required. The only time I find the imperial a pain is when doing mouldings and other stuff where I am using the fence alone without any of the joint templates.

At the end of the day, even though it's imperial I would buy it again - just some things are easier when we are all talking metric.

Martin.

silentC
12th July 2005, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't bother converting mine. Wouldn't you need to use metric router bits if you convert it to metric? The spacings are all worked around imperial and fractional bits.

graemecarson
12th July 2005, 01:45 PM
Ah what the heck - if you can tell the difference between an A and a B you're home and hosed with the Incra stuff. I have just installed my lovely new TS-LS Super Joinery system with Wonderfence and fantastic 92 inch or (2336.8 mm) rails on my Jet Supersaw with 27inch (or 685.8mm) wide table and I can tell you now - I don't care whether its imperial or metric. It's the accuracy that counts -and the ease of use - and the micro adjustment and ......

junkboy999
14th July 2005, 05:02 PM
Wow 92 inch. heheh :) makes my 72, system jealous http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19148

graemecarson
14th July 2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Junkboy there's nothin wrong with the 72 inch rails but I wanted to use as big an extension on the table saw as I could get. I saw the 92 inch rails mentioned on Woodpecker's USA site and Grahame Waterson from Woodpecker's here in Oz helped to get them for me. They need a bit of extra support but they are amazingly rigid seeing the saw table is only about 42 inches wide. I'm still in the process of building the new router extension and modifying the dust collection system but hopefully I will get to use the new setup this weekend.
Can't wait.

Cheers.

silentC
14th July 2005, 05:28 PM
How do you go with that set up if you want to put the fence on the other side of the blade?

graemecarson
15th July 2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure that I will ever need to but I still have around 16 inches on the left of the saw blade - more if I can figure out how to re-attach my sliding table. I can also move the rails by loosening the rectangular washer that clamps them to the bracket that attaches to the table - if you can follow that. Then just move the entire unit to the left side and put it back on the rails. I'd need to zero everything again etc but as I said - I can't think of a reason to do it.....yet!

junkboy999
18th July 2005, 09:03 AM
SilentC

If you want to move the Incra Fence to the left of the blade, you loosen the two hold down knobs and lift and flip it over. Not quite as easy as just lowering the blade and sliding the fence to the other side but well worth the effort for the accuracy you can get on both the left and right. most saws dont have left scales. I have an Extra set of the hold down and stops so I can move the fence to the left with out moving my right side setup. My INCRA ULTRA 24 was really made for a smaller rail system so I have a third set of stops at the far right of the rails allowing me an extra 11 inch for a 37 1/4 cut

Here is My INCRA set up for left side cut. I only have 12" max cut to the left with this current rail placement. ( but read below )

http://members.cox.net/yoterry/pics/stop01.jpg

Here is another Pic of the stops and hand knobs in play

http://members.cox.net/yoterry/pics/stop02.jpg

And a Pic of how the stop and Hand knobs work. There is a flat bar (T Nut ) that slides inside the rails. The hand knobs lock the carrage ( carrage runs for rail to rail , see pic above ) in place. and the stopd just ensure that carrage is in the same place it was when you did you first setup. On the T Nut there are set screws to hold them in place, so you really dont need the stops. I dont use the set screws, just the stops because on the right side of the saw I slide the carrage back and forth a lot.

http://members.cox.net/yoterry/pics/stop03.jpg

Now Here is a thought for your Incra users. The bottom of the rails have a slot the running the lenght of them like the top and sides. So what is stoping you from placing a stop to mark where your rails sit now and placing another some where mid point to the right alowing you to cut 12" 18" 24" Hell 37" inch to the left too.. :)

Hey Graemecarson

Here is a Pic for you. I started to mock-up a box for my routher. there will be 6" on both side for 3 pull out drawers to hold bits and other tools. On top you can see some 5/8 and 1/8 phenolic that I will TRY to make a base plate with removeble inserts. ( has any one ever made removable inserts?)

http://members.cox.net/yoterry/pics/rwing.jpg

By the way the bottem drawer on my table saw bench was an after thought. Glad I took the time to make another drawer for it. It holds all my routers and guides.

Gwhat
27th July 2005, 08:08 AM
Further to my previous post I've just received word from Incra that they only have 20 scales in stock, plus the 4 we have, it's not good news.

We've ordered the balance of their metric scales + metric racks + Quick Draw (blank templates) I'll post as soon as the arrive (10 - 14 days).

If you're interested in a Metric upgrade E-mail us at [email protected]

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

Hi all,

The Metric Scales (reading Right to Left, 0 -430mm) have arrived as have a quantity of Metric Racks, and a few Quick Draw (blank) templates.

Incra Mitre Gauge (with fence) owners will benefit most I would think from upgrading to metric, as may some positioner users, providing you're prepared to rework your templates.

Count up the racks you need to replace and E-mail us @ [email protected], and we will work out a price.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au