PDA

View Full Version : chuck insert or similar needed

man from uncle
13th February 2015, 11:39 AM
HI all
If this is posted in the wrong place, happy for it to be deleted.

I have acquired a four jaw chuck, (not scrollchuck) which I intend to use for off centre turning.
However it has a 3/4"x10TPI female thread and I have a M30 vicmarc lathe

anyone know were I can get an adaptor, or adaptors

I have googled without much luck

thanks

Sturdee
13th February 2015, 01:01 PM
HI all

I have acquired a four jaw chuck, (not scrollchuck) which I intend to use for off centre turning.

Vermec makes a suitable spindle adapter (http://www.vermec.com/vermec-lathe-accessories.html) for this.

Peter.

Old Croc
13th February 2015, 01:25 PM
HI all
If this is posted in the wrong place, happy for it to be deleted.

I have googled without much luck

thanks

Just be careful as that chuck could be cast iron and not rated for the speed of a wood lathe ( read can explode)
:o
rgds,
Crocy.

man from uncle
13th February 2015, 08:03 PM
Just be careful as that chuck could be cast iron and not rated for the speed of a wood lathe ( read can explode)
:o
rgds,
Crocy.
Thanks Crocy
i didn't know that. I brought it of ebay and it was sold as for wood turning, but my guess is it is a metal work lathe. Is there any way of testing if it is cast iron?

Old Croc
14th February 2015, 11:11 PM
Its a little bit hard to describe how, if it was mine I could pick it or drill a little bit and watch the swarf. Best if you dropped into your local machine shop and they should be able to give you an answer.
It is still OK to use, just keep the speed down.
Rgds,
Crocy

Mobyturns
20th February 2015, 08:06 AM
Its a little bit hard to describe how, if it was mine I could pick it or drill a little bit and watch the swarf. Best if you dropped into your local machine shop and they should be able to give you an answer.
It is still OK to use, just keep the speed down.
Rgds,
Crocy

Old Croc raises a very good safety issue about using metal machining 3 & 4 jaw chucks on wood lathes. Wood turners generally turn at far higher speeds than are typical in metal turning so chucks experience different loads & stresses particularly varying loads. Wood is not homogenous like most metals, & wood blanks start off in some pretty odd shapes so in wood turning there is more "impact" stresses as loads / cuts vary due to voids or irregular blanks.

I'm not sure why but in this past year I have seen more modified metal turning chucks from past years being rediscovered by relatives wanting to know their value etc. Must be a generational thing - pre 4 jaw scroll chuck wood turners must be going to the great lathe in the sky?