PDA

View Full Version : New Concept - Thoughts Please

MBUMIK
15th February 2015, 04:28 PM
New idea, not sure about it but its growing on me
Cigar, with a Bottle Top Blank top half and Jim Beam Barrel blank for the bottom half
i think the problem is more the plating, no i didn't have any chrome or black chrome to try, but i think the ideal plating would be Rhodium/Blk Ti

please hit me with your thoughts ... Good or Bad, all Constructive Criticism gratefully received

the more i look at it the more i like it :-)

gawdelpus
15th February 2015, 09:00 PM
Nothing wrong with that concept Mik :), I think chrome and black or gunmetal and black ,not sure rodium would improve the outcome ? cheers ~ John

MBUMIK
15th February 2015, 10:48 PM
Nothing wrong with that concept Mik :), I think chrome and black or gunmetal and black ,not sure rodium would improve the outcome ? cheers ~ John

Thanks for your thoughts John

the only reason i was thinking of the Rhodium/Blk Ti version is that it has both the Chrome look and the Gunmetal

the pen has been sitting on the desk in front of me all night and it has grown on me

i also have coming in the near future, Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey Barrel Blanks, i think i will make one of each and throw them in the display cabinet to see what the prospective buyers think before i make them for sale as blank sets

i hope you got your car back up and running, and thanks for the tip on the resin, its great stuff

all the best

MIK

Les in Red Deer
16th February 2015, 02:27 AM
Nice choice of plating to complement both the timber and cap.
Well done.
The only thing I would do is slightly round over the sharp edge where the blank meets the Twist Holder Ring.

Les

Christos
16th February 2015, 08:27 AM
I would prefer a much darker timber, very dark brown to almost black.

Right now looking at it for me I am drawn away from the top half of the pen.

It might be the grain that is causing me to look at the bottom half of the pen. What about a solid colour.

Ironwood
16th February 2015, 09:02 PM
Mik, I think its a great concept.
Maybe experimenting with different plating options could make it look better, but as you say, if the customers like it then its a winner.

MBUMIK
16th February 2015, 11:46 PM
Nice choice of plating to complement both the timber and cap.
Well done.
The only thing I would do is slightly round over the sharp edge where the blank meets the Twist Holder Ring.

Les

Thanks Les, that lip that you are talking about, maybe i am old but its not there until i look at the pickies, i will have to pull it apart and fix that problem

I would prefer a much darker timber, very dark brown to almost black.

Right now looking at it for me I am drawn away from the top half of the pen.

It might be the grain that is causing me to look at the bottom half of the pen. What about a solid colour.

Thanks for your thoughts Christos, if i change the wood to a different type of wood then it is getting away from what i was trying to achieve, Authentic Jim Beam Bottle Top with wood from an Authentic Jim Beam Barrel used for aging, i don't disagree that the darker wood could give it the added lift, but it just doesn't tell the same story

Mik, I think its a great concept.
Maybe experimenting with different plating options could make it look better, but as you say, if the customers like it then its a winner.

thanks for your thoughts Brad, i did make 2 of the upper barrel blanks so i will try the next one with a different plating, not sure which, guess i will just have to buy all 3, Chrome, Black Chrome and Rhodium/Blk Ti so i can get a comparison, thats what i will tel SWMBO anyway :D

maddog 62
18th February 2015, 05:22 PM
Mate
it looks good to me
real good
a darker timber, i dont think would blend, to much color variation
Becides like you said it would take the whole concept of the lable and the barrel the the booze was made in
my two cents worth anyway
cheers Tony

MBUMIK
19th February 2015, 12:03 AM
Mate
it looks good to me
real good
a darker timber, i dont think would blend, to much color variation
Becides like you said it would take the whole concept of the lable and the barrel the the booze was made in
my two cents worth anyway
cheers Tony

Thanks Tony... i appreciate your thoughts mate

this pen is now SOLD ... i suppose i better make another :-)

artme
19th February 2015, 03:19 PM
That is one smart unit MIK!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Les is on the money with his suggestion.

I wonder how copper and black Ti would go? The copper would pick up the red on the cap end.