PDA

View Full Version : Wood lathe mystery

SHIPPERS
16th February 2015, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge on Glentanner wood lathe.
I found one advertised that i think would suit my needs.
I have no turning experience, and dont envisage i will delve too deeply.
I did a quick google search but came up empty.

Regards
Shippers
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/t-sAAOSwBLlU2uUg/$_20.JPG

Mobyturns
16th February 2015, 09:45 PM
Doesn't look like the NZ Tanner wood lathes I have seen. Looks more like a modified generic to me.

dai sensei
16th February 2015, 10:17 PM
Have you bought it yet, or just looking at it?

Sorry but it looks more like it would make a better boat anchor than lathe :-

Chief Tiff
16th February 2015, 10:35 PM
You can still buy them brand new for less than $200; Home Hardware have a red one under their own brand. They're a fantastic way to demonstrate that you get exactly what you pay for.:~

Very, very lightweight and susceptible to vibration. The slab it has been nailed to will assist in dampening the vibrations but most importantly it will have tripled the overall value.

Pay no more than $20 and only if the seller looks like he is so desperate for cash he is about to eat his own shoes

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th February 2015, 10:52 PM
The best use for 'em is to throw the bed & tailstock away... and use the headstock end as a disk linisher. Which is what I've done with mine. ;)

Mind you, I have seen some fantastic work done on them but that's more a testament to the skill and perseverance of the turners rather than any reflection on the lathe!

mark david
16th February 2015, 11:40 PM
Its a piece of junk, rusty junk.
Give it a wide berth, very wide!:no:

Willy Nelson
17th February 2015, 12:40 AM
Whoa Whoa Guys come on!

I would would take it off his hands if he paid me $50.

Oh, Sorry, he is selling it. Nah, Tell him he is dreaming

I bought a superb Delta Midi for $120 of Gumtree 5 years ago, absolute ripper. Nothing wrong with it.
That lathe you are looking at is a POS! Steer Clear my friend.
Willy

Paul39
17th February 2015, 03:49 AM
I have two by another name, one was free, the other $10. They are worth what I paid for them.

issatree
17th February 2015, 04:25 AM
Hi Shippers,
Virtually, what has been said, but, wood make a good Sander.
So when you get a real Lathe, & with that Board underneath, you wood get a few nice Platters out of it.
I really think you could do a lot better, & get some help, like you are doing now.
Maybe a few Turners near you, that may like to help you out.

chuck1
17th February 2015, 07:08 AM
I had one of these simular lathes and the headstock flexed away when I tightened the tailstock.
I would keep looking, and agree with the comments above.

Mobyturns
17th February 2015, 07:58 AM
I don't think this is the standard generic GMC/Dynalink style wood lathe for a couple of reasons - the external mounted motor & the length of the ways. The motor is internal & the ways are usually two piece on the generics.

SHIPPERS
17th February 2015, 06:52 PM
Thankyou people.
I was only looking, havent bought.

My interest is due to want/need.
I have an ongoing project that requires some blanks for a screw thread.
I made a jig for the router to turn some blanks, overall pretty good but not accurate enough for my liking, so then thought a used lathe could be a idea as the budget is thin.

SHIPPERS
17th February 2015, 06:59 PM
Again thankyou,

Now that i am searching, could you assist with brands or manufacturers that i could keep an eye out for.

Shippers

artful bodger
17th February 2015, 08:55 PM
Woodfast ones are ace and can sometimes be picked up cheap.
Look for something with a cast iron bed is a good start.

Chief Tiff
18th February 2015, 06:57 PM
Is there a wood turning club or Men's Shed in your area; this would be a great way for you to learn turning and try out a quality machine. You will also benefit from hands on instruction and the availability of different types/brands of turning tools.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th February 2015, 07:07 PM
I don't think this is the standard generic GMC/Dynalink style wood lathe for a couple of reasons - the external mounted motor & the length of the ways. The motor is internal & the ways are usually two piece on the generics.

It's possible the motor and ways are modifications by some prior owner to make it more usable. It's also possible that it is an older model (or "big brother" perhaps) that was the forefather to the later "cheapened down dynalink/gmc versions. Either way, the external motor alone is a major improvement.

However the tailstock, lack of a hollow drive-head, lack of a morse taper and other similar issues that it shares with the dynalink POS make it a very bad choice for anyone who wants it primarily as a beginners lathe. Because to do many of the things that most turners take for granted (such as adding a decent chuck, or using a pen mandrel, or...) are next to impossible with this lathe... and it would be quickly retired in favour of a 'real' lathe,

Still, I will NOT say it's not good for what you want to do with it... IF all you want is something to spin a spindle while you run some router jig or similar over it, then the lathe will probably do fine.

Just don't expect anything else from it. ;)

Ticky
18th February 2015, 08:03 PM
I picked up an MC1100 for under $300, & when I was looking, I found MC900's in Melbourne for $200, but I couldn't get one to SA.

The MC900 & 1100's are a generic model, Mine is a Leda but H&F do them and Carbatec etc.

These are a good cheap Entry Level Lathe, cast Iron Bed , No 2 MT in the Tail & head stock.

Mate, from my limited experience, if you paid $600 for a lathe, that is the cheap part. The chisels and associated gear is where the money goes. I am happy with my MC1100 for now, but I will prolly upgrade oneday.

I agree with the suggestion of joining a club, the one I am in is great.

Don't throw money at , save a bit more, wait a bit longer & keep an eye on Gumtree & ebay, you'll get a good one cheap.

Steve