PDA

View Full Version : Newbie post - Workbench timber

jdaniel
25th October 2001, 01:07 PM
Hi Folks,

My first post - hello to all.

I want to get into woodworking on a hobby level. My first project will be a workbench.

Now I've bought the Scott Landis Workbench book and I think I know what I want. Anyway the question
is where can I source DAR hardwood for the bench top? I'm in the Parramatta area.

What timber do you recommend? I don't have a
thicknesser so I'm after DAR hardwood.

Thanks!
Jeremy

A bit about me seeing as this is my first post. I'm an IT professional - I have built houses in previous years and therefore have accumulated *some* tools. eg Compound Slide saw,Triton, Drill Press, Sanders, router etc.

So I'm part way to having a Workshop - just need to convert the gargage - the Workbench is the first project.

Rod Smith
27th October 2001, 02:12 PM
G'day J
Welcome aboard. (woodworkers always do, lol).
For my bench I have just used a piece of mdf with some horrible thin artificial wood coating on it. Has lasted for years, suffering much abuse, glue nails etc. A quick swipe over with a chisel sends the glue flying off the smooth finish. I thought I would need to replace after a couple of years but its still OK.
Not sure what solid timber to use,maybe someone else?
Cheers
Rod

TOMARTOM
28th October 2001, 05:52 AM
Built quite a sturdy bench by using Jarrah beams, from a demolished house, (would be available from any timber salvage). For the top, used an old piece of chipboard about 1" thick and covered it with a sheet of melamine, quite hard and easily replacable if required.

The end result a strong bench, with a minimum outlay of money.

Cheers

Tony

ubeaut
28th October 2001, 09:03 AM
G'day Jeremy - welcome aboard the board.

My bench, made mainly for carving and to stop the stoop when working, is 1 metre high x 2mt long x 860 wide. The legs are merbau ex 4"x1.5" they sit on a skid base of 3"x2" with 6" blocks of the same size directly below these (flush with the end of each)these give the bench stability on a flat floor.

A skirt of 8"x1.5" pine supports a deaf flat top which is made from 3 pieces of ex 900mm x 50mm meranti and covered with a piece of 5mm tempered masonite. There is also a shelf 300mm from the floor which gives the whole thing incredible stability and acts as a foot rest to take the pressure of the back during long hours of work.

My students benches are similar but made completely of pine except for the tops which are 6'x3'x1.5" fully veneered, chipboard table tops, 4 of which I was lucky enough to pick up at a Sunday Trash 'n' Treasure market some 25 odd years ago for $10 each. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

My bench was made from a variety of timbers because I couldn't afford to get what I wanted at the time. I wish I had used something like Merbau or some other dense hardwood for the top as the Meranti is not quite right. It has served its purpose well for over 25 years but it's just not right.

I have worked on a number of bench tops over the years and to date the only one that really impressed me was a 3" thick stack laminated Merbau one. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

PS my favourite carving bench is made from a heavy hydrolic based of what used to be a draftmans board and has a 50mm melaminne covered top which can be raised and lowered, tilted and swivelled in all directions instantly.

DPB
29th October 2001, 10:31 AM
Hello, JD.

I'm just a few months ahead of you and am currently building my workbench. I purchased the plans off the Internet for UDS$10.00. It's called the "Weekend Workbench" because you are supposed to construct it in a weekend. (I've been working on mine for at least four weekends.)

The legs are pine and the top is three laminated sheets of MDF on top of which I intend to place a 'sacrificial' sheet tempered Masonite. If you would like a copy of the plans, email me and I will send them to you.

(I am having difficulty finding a source for tempered Masonite - if anyone out there knows where this can be obtained in Melbourne let me know.)

jdaniel
31st October 2001, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Quite interesting that most of you seem to have manufactured boards as the benchtop.

I must admit I have been thinking about maybe having an mdf top. Just that hardwood would look nice and give me the chance to practice joinery....

To DPB - yes I'd love to get a copy of the plans. Thanks for your kind offer. And good luck with the construction of your work bench.

My email is [email protected]

[This message has been edited by jdaniel (edited 02 November 2001).]

John Saxton
31st October 2001, 08:27 PM
Hi Jeremy,there are numerous plans with ideas on the construction of workbenchs.
I tossed my old one out or rather broke it down and reused the timber for other projects on bidding on a sizeable workbench more suited to my needs at an auction which is always another source for woodworkers to keep their eye out for.
Got the bench for $50 and it is constructed out of solid 50mm Jarrah with drawers and cupboards incorporated and I have also put a sheet of 12mm chipboard on the surface so I don't accidentally come into contact with some of the bench's original hardware.
Auctions can sometimes provide you with a good source of material at a fraction of the cost of existing materials.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
just some thoughts

------------------
Johnno

Badger
6th November 2001, 09:21 PM
RE bench top material, I believe solid beech is the traditional material but who could afford (or want to waste) such beautiful wood even assuming you could find it in the sizes you wanted.

When I made my bench I was working to a budget but was snobbish enough to want to make it out of solid timber. I decided on merantie but, having had experience of some of the cheesy soft splintery stuff, I asked for some really ‘hard’ stuff. Boy, was I in for a surprise when I went to pick up my boards! If it wasn’t for carbide tipped saws and routers I don’t think it would be finished yet and you should have seen the removalists faces when I moved to Tassie a few months ago! The poor buggers nearly got a hernia lifting it http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif. Still, it’s a good solid bench and seems to be standing up to the wear and tear although it does have a tendency to splinter a bit on sharp edges.

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

Shane Watson
22nd November 2001, 06:21 PM
Its quite interesting reading the different types of material people use in there bench tops.
I use a ply substrate covered in carpet. Yep just ordinary household carpet.
This might bring some interesting conversation... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

DPB
23rd November 2001, 02:14 PM
I just completed my first workbench last Saturday. I followed a basic plan which I downloaded from the Internet, costing me $USA10.00.

I used dimensional top grade Pine which was almost knot-free for the base. The construction encorporates mortise & tenon joints with dowel pinning. The base is rock solid with no flex at all. The top consists of three sheets of 18mm MDF topped with 6mm tempered Masonite.

The bottom shelf is set back somewhat so that I can sit at the bench on a stool with my legs under the bench with no concern for banging my knees or shins. I haven't decided whether I will add the drawers yet, as these will interfer with the seating capabilities of the bench.

I'm thrilled with the results, and the total cost including a Record quick release vise was about $500.00

------------------

JackoH
24th November 2001, 03:36 PM
B.B.C. Hardwarhouse has free plans for a fairly basic work bench. Project No.9.
May be of help. I intend to build it when I get a round tuit.
John H.

RETIRED
25th November 2001, 07:27 AM
Gooday,

Have to agree with Stoppers on this one.

We don't have dedicated work benches in our place. We used to have and found them a bloody nuisance. They were either too low, too high, too narrow or too wide.

Any flat surface in our place is a bench.

These days and the last 15 years) we have used a board of the appropiate size and put it on trestles, lathe bed, fork lift or whatever to obtain the size we want. I must admit that a sheet 2.4x1.2x32mm MDF on the fork is my favourite as I can raise and lower the work to suit me.

Unless you are doing the same work all the time, a bench takes up valuable space, accumulates immeasurable amounts of junk (any flat surface in a workshop does) and is never the right size or height for what you want.

For holding stuff down while working on it, clamps, nails or screws do a good job and cause less anguish when driven into something that is temporary.

Just my thoughts. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

JackoH
26th November 2001, 03:27 PM
This topic should probably move to the "Have Your Say" section however, since it started here let me comment here.
From his post I assume that like me, and the majority of contributors to this Bulletin Board, jdaniel is an enthusiastic amateur.
I for one object to being called a prissy twat by Doorstop or any one else. If I may say so, that shows some of the contempt that is often shown by professionals for amateurs in most walks of life.
If he wants to build a work work bench.Why the hell not? and why should he not seek help on this forum? is that not what it is for?
It's all very well for Doorstop and , they have the benefit of years of experience and have found out what works for them. They have forgotten more short cuts and time saving techniques than I will ever be able to learn, and anyway building a bench is a good exercise for a budding carpenter. I for one support him and all those who have tried to help him. So There! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif
John H.

RETIRED
26th November 2001, 04:34 PM
Gooday.

John, I was agreeing with Stoppers about the fact that a bench normally ends up with a heap of scratches, dents, paint and glue spots all over it.

TO JEREMY That is the reason for the disposable top. Just take it off and put a new sheet on.

As most of you that have met us "professionals" on this board would know we are only too willing to pass on any knowledge that we have to help you better understand this strange addiction we have.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

John Saxton
26th November 2001, 11:48 PM
Hey Guy,s Jeremy just wanted to build a workbench as a challenge(I imagine)as well as a project that would grace his workshop, but looked to the BB as a source of info from professionals and amateurs alike.
I have to agree with John here that the guy's aspirations should not degenerate into
what we have apparently arrived at.
To my way of thinking,this BB is appreciated by all for their capacity to have constructive input.
Whilst Stoppers viewpoint tho colourful(and always a source of humour on the BB)it is without a doubt, that it is inevitable that someone somewhere will not agree with the comment whether in a light hearted or serious vein.
Lets all go back to neutral corners and come out wishing each other all the best for the coming festive season.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
27th November 2001, 12:18 AM
What the hell! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

Everyone should do as the apprentices of old in England had to do. They were given the timber to make their own work bench, this was their first project. If they made a good strong bench they were usually going to become good cabinetmakers. If they made a weak unstable bench then it was deemed that their future was not so bright.

By the way that work bench they made was the one thay would use for the rest of their working days as a cabinetmaker for that firm.

I am glad I have good benches and not just bits of wood or mdf on trestles. Although I have been known to use these as well. Especially when the 8 benches are covered in that much junk that you can't find them. Just as a rolling stone gathers no moss. A flat surface gathers lots of junk. At least it does in my workshop. It is called flat surface syndrome ie all flat surfaces must be covered as deeply as possible in as much junk as you can find.

Because of this problem the mdf on the trestles is often much quicker than clearing a bench.

Cheers - Neil. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS Hey Jeremy - Don't be put off by these philistines. You build the best bench you can and just remember that anyone who calls someone a prissy twit must be a complete and utter nong.

Prissy twit. I ask you. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif What next? You're big girls blouse Doorstop. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 27 November 2001).]

Iain
27th November 2001, 06:39 PM
My workbench, not that I have seen it for a long time, is made of solid redgum, it was in the garage when we bought the house and I swear the legs are 12x12. It is large and heavy and I dread the prospect of ever having to move it as it weighs a ton.
I suspect it used to be a jetty before station pier was built and is of similar construction. Apart from that I use whatever flat surface is availablr at the time, be it a floor, trestles and plank or the B&D workmate (which have declined in quality over the years since the introduction of MDF to replace the plywood top, theres another topic Stoppers).
Like Neil said, if it's flat and static it's going to accumulate 'priceless workshop bric a brac' (junk).

JackoH
29th November 2001, 04:07 PM
Sorry Doorstop! However I must congratulate you on the masterly way you wriggled out of that one!! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif
I suppose a trestle table does have some attributes as a bench, every so often it would overbalance and dump everything on the floor, then you could start again, with a clear work surface.
Incidentally, I have recently joined the Tritoneers having purchased a Work Centre, Saw, and Router Table. May I say that I am delighted with them ,as for the first time in my life I am able to cut a piece of timber absolutely square, something I could never achieve in the past no matter how hard I tried! and yes I did set the saw up all by myself and found it to be quite a simple exercise. I am sure it helped to have the Triton saw, which in my humble opinion is a brilliant piece of machinery.
I have detected some scorn on the part of the "professional woodies" for Triton equipment, but where else could the enthusiastic amateur obtain machinery capable of doing a pretty good job for the price?
John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif:

DPB
30th November 2001, 09:48 AM
Right 0n, John - let 'em scoff -it's usually a sign of jealousy anyway!

Evan Pavlidis
7th December 2001, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by jdaniel:
Hi Folks,

My first post - hello to all.

I want to get into woodworking on a hobby level. My first project will be a workbench.

Now I've bought the Scott Landis Workbench book and I think I know what I want. Anyway the question
is where can I source DAR hardwood for the bench top? I'm in the Parramatta area.

What timber do you recommend? I don't have a
thicknesser so I'm after DAR hardwood.

Thanks!
Jeremy

A bit about me seeing as this is my first post. I'm an IT professional - I have built houses in previous years and therefore have accumulated *some* tools. eg Compound Slide saw,Triton, Drill Press, Sanders, router etc.

So I'm part way to having a Workshop - just need to convert the gargage - the Workbench is the first project.

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of building a
workbench using jarrah all round including the the top. I picked up four 2.5 metre lengths 5 inches by 5 inches which were recovered from a demolished fence at a
second hand building materials yard for $90.
(I was very lucky). The only issue was to removed all nails and coach bolts which were
difficult to find under all those coats of paint.
I ripped the timber to size and was fortunate to have a portable thicknesser at reach to clean up and thickness the material.
This was very hard on the steel blades.
The edges I routed using a 2 inch by 3 inch square long dead straight length of aluminium as a guide and an inverse straight cutter with bearing in the router.
You can hire portable thicknesses from TOTAL
Tools for about $70 per day.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Evan

P.S. There are several outstanding designs of workbenches at the following site:
www.workbenchworld.com.au (http://www.workbenchworld.com.au)

barrysumpter
7th December 2001, 11:53 PM
Evan,
Could you tell us which second had timber yard you puchased from?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

coastie
12th December 2001, 07:18 PM
Whatever you do, do not,repeat do not,use any timber that has been used in or around fish markets.
You wouldn't want that half blind old priest that lives down the road and who used to pass my workshop and would raise his hat and
say
"Good morning ladies!'
as happened to me.
http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

Evan Pavlidis
19th December 2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by barrysumpter:
Evan,
Could you tell us which second had timber yard you puchased from?

Hello Barry,

The second hand yard is at Swanston Street
Preston Victoria.

Regards,
Evan