PDA

View Full Version : Peppercorn Burl Bowl

Pat
21st February 2015, 05:11 PM
Last year, at one of Fencefurniture's Get Together's at Katoomba, I met DaveTTC and I swapped a tool for a bit of Peppercorn Burl, on the understanding that I show the result here.

Well, to say it was a tad interesting to turn, is an understatement. The rim is a consistent 10mm, with the body varing between +10mm and -10mm. I even had to use an expansion grip on my 25mm jaws and reinforce with CA.

It's got a coat of Danish on it as more fissures were opening up after I got it off the lathe.340528340529340530340531

DaveTTC
21st February 2015, 05:16 PM
Very cool Pat ... now the challenge is for me to use some of the rest i have.

I may call you for some tips

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pat
21st February 2015, 05:30 PM
Dave, sharp tools and soft hands. The burl turns nicely, just the voids/bark inclusions make it very interesting.

I rough turned it about 6 months ago and gave it a good coat of Earls Wood Hardener as some bits are a tad punky.

AshCee
22nd February 2015, 05:44 AM
I have carved peppercorn but not burls, but I had similar issues. It's very unstable. The piece I carved was a burnt out stump I kept from my tree lopping days, so similar to a burl in a way.

artme
22nd February 2015, 10:16 AM
Nice result Pat!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

"Twill be interesting to see how it stands up over time.

tree lopper
22nd February 2015, 11:40 AM
I'm removing a reasonably old peppercorn tree, Shinus molle, sometime this week (from Mansfield in Brisbane). If anyone wants a piece of wood from it, please let me know. I can't remember the diameter of the trunk off-hand, but I think it had multiple trunks. It's large for this species but not a large tree as such. This species usually grows as a shrub, though they can grow quite large with a messy, tangled growth form.

It's a weed species, by the way. It's close relative, the broad leaf pepper tree, Shinus terebinthifolius is a classified weed here in Queensland. So whatever the value of the timber, it's better off as wood than a tree.

Toymaker Len
22nd February 2015, 11:53 AM
You've done really well Pat I found pepper tree to be about the most difficult wood of all. Nice job.

dai sensei
22nd February 2015, 12:02 PM
Beautiful result Pat :2tsup:

Much darker than the Peppercorn I've seen but could just where it grew. I have a decent lump with me from Tim Creeper's place, a half rotten partly spalted and partly burled that I cast in clear resin at 100psi (that soaked into the wood as well), I plan to have a go at turning into a sphere box whilst at Wagga Wagga Tournabout next weekend. I think I will take progress shots in case it doesn't make it :rolleyes:

DaveTTC
22nd February 2015, 12:28 PM
I'm removing a reasonably old peppercorn tree, Shinus molle, sometime this week (from Mansfield in Brisbane). If anyone wants a piece of wood from it, please let me know. I can't remember the diameter of the trunk off-hand, but I think it had multiple trunks. It's large for this species but not a large tree as such. This species usually grows as a shrub, though they can grow quite large with a messy, tangled growth form.

It's a weed species, by the way. It's close relative, the broad leaf pepper tree, Shinus terebinthifolius is a classified weed here in Queensland. So whatever the value of the timber, it's better off as wood than a tree.
Im hoping to make the Brisbane working with wood show this year. If you happen to be going id be happy to put my hand up for a puece and try it out.

Couple of oics before you cut the tree down would be great too, love a bit of history ro with my turning

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2015, 10:08 PM
:2tsup:

Christos
23rd February 2015, 04:03 PM
It looks very interesting. What was the speed of the lathe?

DaveTTC
23rd February 2015, 06:39 PM
It looks very interesting. What was the speed of the lathe?

I think it was stationary as it was parked in his shed at the time (I'm sorry could not help myself lol)

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Pat
23rd February 2015, 07:43 PM
Christos, the speed was between 1000 and 1500 rpm.

It's soaking in the Danish oil.

tree lopper
23rd February 2015, 11:00 PM
Im hoping to make the Brisbane working with wood show this year. If you happen to be going id be happy to put my hand up for a puece and try it out.

Couple of oics before you cut the tree down would be great too, love a bit of history ro with my turning

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Hi Dave,

I'm planning to go to the expo if I'm in Brisbane that weekend.

Also, I'll be taking photos as well. Some will be on my website on an article on Pepperinas, so it would be really pleasing if I could give you some wood then get a photo of a finished product to put on the article as well. I'll have plenty of photos, but no history as it's a rental property and I'm removing the tree for a real estate agency.

Anyway, I'll send you photos of the tree and the wood I collect and you can let me know if you want it. I'm now planning to remove the tree next Monday as I'm getting pretty booked up this week.

DaveTTC
23rd February 2015, 11:17 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm planning to go to the expo if I'm in Brisbane that weekend.

Also, I'll be taking photos as well. Some will be on my website on an article on Pepperinas, so it would be really pleasing if I could give you some wood then get a photo of a finished product to put on the article as well. I'll have plenty of photos, but no history as it's a rental property and I'm removing the tree for a real estate agency.

Anyway, I'll send you photos of the tree and the wood I collect and you can let me know if you want it. I'm now planning to remove the tree next Monday as I'm getting pretty booked up this week.

Sounds like a plan

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

tree lopper
26th February 2015, 10:19 PM
Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Cut the tree down today, Dave. Pictures to be retrieved from my offsider's phone soon. I kept quite a bit of log, please let me know what sort of sizes you would like.

There's probably enough to go around, if anyone else wants some too.

DaveTTC
27th February 2015, 08:12 PM
I'll bring some back for Pat if he wants some

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
15th May 2015, 07:34 AM
Cut the tree down today, Dave. Pictures to be retrieved from my offsider's phone soon. I kept quite a bit of log, please let me know what sort of sizes you would like.

There's probably enough to go around, if anyone else wants some too.
G'day tree lopper,

Thought i better check in and see if you still have any of that pepper corn?

I'm in Brisbane for the show till Sunday

Regards

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pat
15th May 2015, 08:22 AM
Dave, yes please.

The bowl has gone to new home, as I donated it to the Surf Club, that I am a member of, at an end of season fundraising night.

DaveTTC
15th May 2015, 08:24 AM
If i get some ill be sure to pass some your way Pat

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art