PDA

View Full Version : How to smoothen walls

chinchye
12th July 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi, I want to smoothen the walls and so I applied the walls them some sort of white plasters.

After application, I still see those lines caused by that "diamond shape flat metal". One of the way to smoothen the walls after applying those plasters is to sandpaper the wall which is quite tedious. Are there any other ways of doing.

Thanks

mic-d
12th July 2005, 05:43 PM
Smoothing walls with plaster (skim coating) takes a bit of skill, and the right tools. You might find a steel float (rectangular peice of sheet steel with a D handle) better than a trowel, which I suspect you are using (it is a diamond shape). Also invest in a hand sander (looks like a float and may be wood, plastic or metal) that holds a strip of sandpaper (use 120-150 grit) if you don't already have one.
You can smooth walls this way, but if you mean the wall are not true, that is a straightline in all directions, that is another matter entirely.

Cheers
Michael

chinchye
12th July 2005, 08:12 PM
...You might find a steel float (rectangular peice of sheet steel with a D handle) better than a trowel, which I suspect you are using (it is a diamond shape). ....
Thanks , yes I use a trowel like the one here http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Trowels.php

So how does the "steel float" look like.

Thanks

johnc
12th July 2005, 08:40 PM
Looks like you are using a steel float so the problem is how you are using it. Read the suggestion on sanding it is the only option you have left once you have set raised lines in your work. When applied you needed to ensure those lines where cleaned up as you went, you may have been pressing to hard, a soft touch as you run the centre of the broad edge of the trowel will get the lines out if the coat has been evenly applied in the first place. What you are asking is probably best shown rather then gleaned from this forum.

JohnC

chinchye
13th July 2005, 01:37 PM
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. What I will do therefore is to apply plaster, then sand it down, I will then repeat this process 1 more time.

Thanks

Stylesy
13th July 2005, 02:44 PM
chinchye,

If you still have more plaster to apply (other walls remaining?) then perhaps look at getting a long (and probably a short as well) screed for finishing off. This enables you to apply the plaster as you have done, but then screed the wet plaster to ensure a smooth finish. Basically you use a straight-edge as your screed. It's usually done exactly as you would on floors - I've seen plasterers over here finish off walls in no time by using this method. Also of use is a skim float (standard wooden float with foam backing) to give a final once-over while still wet. As JohnC says though, easier to watch than describe.

Justtess
16th July 2005, 12:19 PM
Can I suggest if you are going to sand it, use an old vacumn to suck up the dust as you go. But don't use a good vac tends to kill them after awhile.

kiwigeo
18th July 2005, 05:06 AM
Can I suggest if you are going to sand it, use an old vacumn to suck up the dust as you go. But don't use a good vac tends to kill them after awhile.Good advice....Im still getting s**t from SWMBO for killing the Miele by choking the motor with plaster dust. She probably would have been more forgiving if I hadnt done the same the the previous machine as well :(