PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton 4.5" Backgear?

Tendor
21st February 2015, 08:08 PM
Hi,
I have acquired a back gear that I believe may be from a Sheraton 4.5" lathe.
It is not a Hercus (wrong tooth count and oil hole in wrong place).
I have no use for it, but before offering it to a good home, I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm it.
Please see the photos.

Large gear: 4" OD, 62 teeth, 16 DP, face width 5/8"
Small gear: 1.624 " OD, 24 teeth, 16 DP, face width 5/8"
Gear spacing: Inside face dimension 3.774"
Bore: 0.749", Overall length 6.029"
Oil hole thread: loose fitting 0.25" x 20, located approx centrally between the two gears
Plain shaft OD: 1.314"

( Not relevant to the question in this post: One tooth on pinion has chip as shown (arrowed).)

I'd be grateful if anyone is able to confirm which machine it belongs to.

Thanks.

morrisman
21st February 2015, 08:16 PM
Hi, I have acquired a back gear that I believe may be from a Sheraton 4.5" lathe. It is not a Hercus (wrong tooth count and oil hole in wrong place). I have no use for it, but before offering it to a good home, I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm it. Please see the photos. Large gear: 4" OD, 62 teeth, 16 DP, face width 5/8" Small gear: 1.624 " OD, 24 teeth, 16 DP, face width 5/8" Gear spacing: Inside face dimension 3.774" Bore: 0.749", Overall length 6.029" Oil hole thread: loose fitting 0.25" x 20, located approx centrally between the two gears Plain shaft OD: 1.314" ( Not relevant to the question in this post: One tooth on pinion has chip as shown (arrowed).) I'd be grateful if anyone is able to confirm which machine it belongs to. Thanks.

I have a Sheraton 9 with a broken back gear , I bought a Hercus gear but it will not fit the Sheraton gear as it has a different PA , 20PA . Can we do a swap ? The Hercus back gear is no use to me .

The Hercus back gear makes a huge noisy racket running in the Sheraton lathe , the two different PA gears will not mesh correctly. I believe the Hercus is 14.5 PA Mike

PS I should be able to bronze fill that chip and file it back

Tendor
21st February 2015, 08:24 PM
Hi Mike,

I did not attempt to measure the PA but can do so.
I'm happy to explore a swap if you're sure it's a Sheraton. I guess we had better explore that off-line?
I'll attempt to contact you directly (new to this - might fail.)

Thanks.