PDA

View Full Version : Hello

tree lopper
22nd February 2015, 11:25 AM
Hi

I'm a tree lopper (https://brisbanetrees.com.au) and ISA Certified arborist from Brisbane, and the proprietor of Brisbane Trees and Gardens. It's a modest tree lopping business operating from Archerfield on the southside.

I am building what I hope will be Brisbane's best tree website. I have articles about quite a few trees, and hope to learn here about the quality of the timber it yields. I would like to add some timber notes to my articles. Since I've been looking around this site I've already learned more about which trees can produce nice timber.

I'm also here to network with woodworkers because I often get nice wood that would otherwise end up being chipped. I've been able to give a few pieces to woodworkers in the past; it's nice to see it used to create something of higher value than woodchip. I sell some slabs, too, in a small way. I'll try to list them on my site over the next week couple of weeks.

I've done a little chainsaw carving when removing trees. I can make a rough birdbath from a tree stump, and I've made some chairs from logs. I guess that is the start of 'learning to crawl' in sculpture with this medium and tools. I hope to do more over winter when there are less trees that need urgent removal and trimming. It's great to some some chainsawyers here from whom I can learn. The links to the resources I've seen have already inspired me.

Thanks for reading, David.

crowie
22nd February 2015, 02:00 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "David".
There are a heap members in Brisbane & across the great S.E. Queensland as well as across the whole country & the world.
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork & keep safe up them trees...
Cheers, crowie

JJF
22nd February 2015, 10:35 PM
Welcome to a forum David :2tsup:

old1955
26th February 2015, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum David.

Christos
26th February 2015, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.

george mavridis
7th March 2015, 07:44 PM

Just a question, do you ever get trees that can be removed from one site and transplanted at another?

tree lopper
8th March 2015, 11:26 AM

Just a question, do you ever get trees that can be removed from one site and transplanted at another?

We really only consider transplanting trees with a perceived high value such as Canary Island date palms or with juveniles. It's usually far more economical to cut a tree down and plant a purpose-grown (containered) one in the other location.

Bear in mind a lot of roots have to be cut to transplant a tree, and that costs the tree perhaps two seasons of growth. They also require a high level of care and there is a risk of failure. Really though, it's mainly the prohibitive cost of removal and transport that limits transplanting.

An extreme example is the Moreton Bay fig that was transplanted in Brisbane a few years ago at a cost of $250K. I personally think that's stupid, to use a layman's term.

george mavridis
8th March 2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks David