PDA

View Full Version : friends (and witches) you live with

eskimo
22nd February 2015, 04:23 PM
I have always shared albeit reluctantly at times my shed/workshop with:
• a witch and her kids who just drop stuff inside the garage door and expect to me get it up off the floor for storage.
• an abandoned feral but salvaged cat who is afraid of her own shadow due to being beaten up by her ex siblings and whom are now in heaven

and not so reluctantly
• a lazy lizard who is obviously running out of cockroaches or too bloody lazy to find its own food..prefering dried cat food. ( bearing in mind that this thing does live in the garage and can be interrupted very often sunbaking at the garage door)

now I know why its become so huge in such a short time.

any one seen a blue tongue drink water I was wondering if was going to....it ate a dried up leaf???

http://youtu.be/K_BdfVqLnGA

bwal74
22nd February 2015, 04:30 PM
I share my garage with the missus and 5 kids, a dog and now a cat. Same problems with storage, it's like the middle east sometimes.
I don't have to worry about reptiles though. I'm surprised it doesn't drink the cat's water.

Ben.

eskimo
22nd February 2015, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised it doesn't drink the cat's water.

Ben.

I was half expecting that but no it didnt
the feline is locked away every night in the garage to save her and my vet expenses, so I wonder if it does that during the night ???

doug3030
22nd February 2015, 06:15 PM
• a lazy lizard who is obviously running out of cockroaches or too bloody lazy to find its own food..prefering dried cat food. ( bearing in mind that this thing does live in the garage and can be interrupted very often sunbaking at the garage door)

That bears a strong resemblance to my shed-lizard.

It actually belongs to my granddaughter, well in her opinion anyway, but I think it pretty much owns itself.

I often see it in the corner of the shed near the rolla door in that narrow space where you stand all the long skinny things like sash clamps, triton extension table beams, dowels, broomhandles partly finished projects, etc.

It used to live in a pile of logs in the back yard that I am slowly cutting into timber, but apparently it decided that the shed was a better class of accommodation. It does no harm so I let it stay. they are supposed to eat snails and it is welcome to as many as it wants. It looks like a slightly different species to yours, but they live a long way away from each-other so I guess that is no surprise.

Cheers

Doug

argeng
22nd February 2015, 08:31 PM
My Family for some weird reason believe my work shop under the house is out of Doctor Who,the Tardis, small on the outside huge on the inside!.
standard statement , just put it under the house!!!!
I dug out 100 sq Mtrs of soil clay and rock to get that space, yet not one was there on the jack hammer.
yes I keep putting stuff under there as directed.
Cheers Bruce

j.ashburn
22nd February 2015, 10:02 PM
About 2 years ago I was graced with presence of a lovely tortise shell Cat.very fiesty and not very tame. a great mouser and great company always around when you are working and close by.Gradually the cat Agro became a real smoocher.I waited for the kids to arrive and move in too.Being a female [apparently tortise shells are always female],no family arrived nor did she show signs of pregnancy.I could never look in her ears for the neuter tattoo but she would never allow me to look.One day I was using the big shaper Invicta 6M taking a fair cut,the cat walked past the machine and quite a large piece of swarf landed at the back of the head between shoulder blades.Shrieking stinking and smoking she bolted out side and ran under my bus in the back yard,in mean time she had shed the hot bit and no injury occurred.Until I turned the machine around the cat would never walk past the front of the shaper deviating around the back.
Wedenesday I arrived at the shop usually always greeted by a meowing purring cat.Always first priority is to feed her. No cat appeared and put out the food. next few hours would call and whistle no appearance. happened to walk past the bus and saw a movement then saw was the cat.Would not come out just meowed.I then ccrawled under the bus and retrived her. out from under i stood her up and she collapsed.Snake bite came immediately to the observations.By this time vet hours were closed. So next morning she was alive and took her to vet where they also verified the symptoms To end a long saga cat survived and is now home recuperating and left my planned Aloris tool holder money with the vet.ps always thought cat was about 4yo the found a micro chip a lady owned the cat in Bendigo died 2011. where and when is been who knows.Any way they told me cat is 12 half years old,blew me away. 700 dollarsand no anti venene that's 750 dollars. Cheers

GSRocket
23rd February 2015, 12:01 PM
Beautifull story j.
As a cat lover (dog lover too) It's surprising how very faithful cats can become, even suffering depression when their owner goes missing for a while.

simonl
23rd February 2015, 03:49 PM
I thought I was the only crazy person who has a blue tongue living in the shed. I don't see him that often but on really hot days he makes an appearance on the concrete floor. For a lizard, they have lots of personality!

Simon

Vernonv
23rd February 2015, 04:07 PM
... even suffering depression when their owner goes missing for a while.You'd be depressed too if the faithful servant you've had all you life, suddenly went missing. :D

Christos
23rd February 2015, 05:20 PM
My Family for some weird reason believe my work shop under the house is out of Doctor Who,the Tardis, small on the outside huge on the inside!.....

I do recall something about the Tardis and the Doctor. Things that go into the Tardis tend to become lost so when they enter your workshop under the house who to say what happen to them. :o :roll:

Michael G
23rd February 2015, 06:30 PM
I thought I was the only crazy person who has a blue tongue living in the shed. I don't see him that often but on really hot days he makes an appearance on the concrete floor. For a lizard, they have lots of personality!

Mine just visits occasionally too.

Michael

Abratool
23rd February 2015, 10:05 PM
Interesting reading about what others have experienced.
I have had a few large Goannas, (big ones) inside the workshop.
They can make a mess of things swinging strong tails around, & scattering stuff.
Watched one swallow a possum, up in the rafters, a few years back. A sight to remember, took all of about 6 minutes.
Also had visits from the occasional Whip Snake, but they get moving quickly.
Just got to be alert !!!
regards
Bruce

morrisman
23rd February 2015, 10:17 PM
Interesting reading about what others have experienced. I have had a few large Goannas, (big ones) inside the workshop. They can make a mess of things swinging strong tails around, & scattering stuff. Watched one swallow a possum, up in the rafters, a few years back. A sight to remember, took all of about 6 minutes. Also had visits from the occasional Whip Snake, but they get moving quickly. Just got to be alert !!! regards Bruce I saw a goanna today, it scampered across the road in front of my car. A few years ago , a goanna ate a rabbit just along the fence here . I saw it disappear down a warren and it came out with the rabbit squealing . Nature is cruel

Dingo Dog
24th February 2015, 12:24 AM
I dont have a Witch, I have a Dragon. I share the front shed with her car, she knows well enough to come only to the rolla door when i am in there beavering away. The back shed with garden tools is different, she lives there occassionally, occassionally, as all the garden tools and impliments that were all arranged and placed in their living areas are no longer there, they are out in the wilds of the garden, rusting in the salt air and drying in the summer sun. Re-education on the importance of putting things back after use falls on a hollow head.

Oh I wish for my single days of past.

I dont share my shed with "the bobs", but do have a family living in the back yard, Mr Bob can be seen in summer chasing Mrs Bob for you know what, I share my Mulberry tree, strawberry patch and cherry tomatos with the family.

DD

matthew_g
24th February 2015, 09:17 AM
I was half expecting that but no it didnt
the feline is locked away every night in the garage to save her and my vet expenses, so I wonder if it does that during the night ???
:oHow could you lock her in the shed ???????
She should be inside sleeping in bed with you.

About 2 years ago I was graced with presence of a lovely tortise shell Cat.very fiesty and not very tame. a great mouser and great company always around when you are working and close by.Gradually the cat Agro became a real smoocher.I waited for the kids to arrive and move in too.Being a female [apparently tortise shells are always female],no family arrived nor did she show signs of pregnancy.I could never look in her ears for the neuter tattoo but she would never allow me to look.One day I was using the big shaper Invicta 6M taking a fair cut,the cat walked past the machine and quite a large piece of swarf landed at the back of the head between shoulder blades.Shrieking stinking and smoking she bolted out side and ran under my bus in the back yard,in mean time she had shed the hot bit and no injury occurred.Until I turned the machine around the cat would never walk past the front of the shaper deviating around the back.
Wedenesday I arrived at the shop usually always greeted by a meowing purring cat.Always first priority is to feed her. No cat appeared and put out the food. next few hours would call and whistle no appearance. happened to walk past the bus and saw a movement then saw was the cat.Would not come out just meowed.I then ccrawled under the bus and retrived her. out from under i stood her up and she collapsed.Snake bite came immediately to the observations.By this time vet hours were closed. So next morning she was alive and took her to vet where they also verified the symptoms To end a long saga cat survived and is now home recuperating and left my planned Aloris tool holder money with the vet.ps always thought cat was about 4yo the found a micro chip a lady owned the cat in Bendigo died 2011. where and when is been who knows.Any way they told me cat is 12 half years old,blew me away. 700 dollarsand no anti venene that's 750 dollars. Cheers
I lost my tortoise shell 9 years ago to a snake bite, Even with anti venom, unfortunantly she just wasn't strong enough:C

I still have 2 cat's, My oldest mate, a very long haired Ginger Tabby Cat named Fred who has just turned 15 last month and an 8 year old black and white medium hair named Molly.
Both spend all day in the workshop with me, and once I retire into the house, so do they.
I couldn't imagine what it feels like to wake up in the morning without the two fur balls all snuggled up next to my pillow. In fact Fred is a classic for getting under the doona turning around and sharing my pillow human style, Head on the pillow and body under the covers. He even drools in his sleep just like me..
My kids think it's absolutely hilarious.

I love my kids and cat's. Who needs a wife when your that rich with love.. (I'm divorced,4 years now)
I think the cats scared her off) LOL

Matt

chambezio
24th February 2015, 09:52 AM
The saga of cats since we have been here (33 years) is a bit sad. We have have lost a lot to the tarred road and snakes. In the end, to save them from themselves, I put shade cloth around the pergola and meshed in the kids cubby house and made a "tunnel" for them to spend time "outside" in the air and sun, look at the birds and not being able to get them.
At the shed.....there is a resident skink or 2 that give me heart failure when I see just the point of their nose or tail as I am walking around inside the shed. There are a couple of possums that camp in there too. I made a couple of boxes and mounted them above the rolla-doors for them. With the humid weather we have at the moment there is a very "organic" aroma. Boy they crap a lot!!!
There have been numerous Willi Wag Tails that have nested and raised their families as well as a couple of Swallows. And yes, bush block,.....bloody snakes. Thankfully only maybe 5 over more than 30 years. But I am always on "snake alert" albeit subconsciously that's why the Skinks make my heart flutter
One time we had a thunder storm early one morning. In that afternoon the Poodle found something in the shed under a timber rack. I thought bugger a snake. I got down on all fours to see and was stunned to see a dirty big hairy face looking back at me about a metre away. It was a Merema (dog). She had bolted during the thunder storm and took refuge in the shed all day. The Poodle thought she was great. A play mate and a female I eventually got her out and reunited her with her people half a mile up the road.
Rats are also a revolving problem. I get them with Talon. But there ranks are replaced with a new wave of them. I like to get rid of them fairly quickly to not have snakes visit
We also have two Coolys. They are a working dog bred originally in the German parts of SA. They are a little bit bored being working dogs and tend to bark at the neighbours if they are working around their place. I made some gates for the trailer and "store" them, when not on the trailer, as swinging gates in front of the shed and so making an isolation area from the back yard when they are making a nuisance of them selves with the neighbour. They love it!!! Some one to pat them and lots of different smells to poke around and look for what may have made them