PDA

View Full Version : plunge router

plywood
12th July 2005, 04:55 PM
I'm new to this router business and am probably missing something. My Bosch router has a stated plunge depth of approx 55 mm, but it seems to me that the bits, when in the chuck, start about 30mm above the baseplate. Therefore there is only about 20mm of actual plunge depth available. Yes ?

doug the slug
12th July 2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Plywood, and welcome to the nuthouse.

as i understand it the plunge depth is determined by the length of the plunge columns on the router, so as you say if the bit you have in the collet is 30 mm above the workpiece with the router raised to full height, yes that only leaves 25 mm to plunge into the workpiece. BUT... router bits come in various lengths and if you have a longer bit in the collet, you can utilise more of the router's 55mm plunge depth.

a word of caution, dont install teh bit in the collet with only a small length of the shank engaged in the collet. make sure it is in for the full depth or we will probably be reading about your exploits in teh darwin awards

when routing make sure you work in stages and dont take off the entire 55mm at a time but work in manageable stages, 5mm at a time or so, its easier on the router and the bit. taking too much at a time can put strain on the router motor and bearings, particularly small cheap ones, and will burn the timber, and ruin the cutter.

Doug

ian
12th July 2005, 11:45 PM
For the particular bit you have mounted, the plunge is about 55 - 30 = 25mm.
For longer bit that extended to within 5mm of the base plate, say, the plunge depth would be about 50mm.

Ian