PDA

View Full Version : JET 310 thicknesser feed problem

CharlieZ
23rd February 2015, 06:54 PM
I've recently got an odd problem when using the thicknesser on my combi Jet 310. I normally keep my thicknessing light and creep up on the final size, so the depth set is usually just 1mm or so more than the timber. Over the last few days the timber is jamming on entry against the row of floating guidepins that sit in front of the first power feed roller - these pins normally lift up as the timber passes under. This jam causes the timber to kick up about 20 degrees, so does not reach the feed roller. I've checked that the rollers are not slipping and they are fine. I've also cleaned the thicknesser bed to make sure its smooth. If I adjust the thickness height to be very light - less than 1/2mm more than the timber, it will pass, but as soon as I set it to my more usual 1-2mm for I get this jam. I'm stuffed if i know whats going on? Any thoughts welcome. Thanxx

jhovel
23rd February 2015, 07:26 PM
Has the kickback assembly come loose or moved?

JOHN MEMBREY
23rd February 2015, 07:37 PM
The kickback mechanism may be clogged up with dust and sticking down. The dust could either be in between the the individual levers or where they join onto the machine.

mark david
23rd February 2015, 07:42 PM
Sounds rather bemusing, you jet thicknesser should be capable of approx 4.5mm material removal in thicknessing mode.

As already suggested check the anti kickback finger assembly, there is no reason that the timber sould be pitching on entry, check there are no wood splinters or other debris clogging anything around to that area.

There are no infeed/outfeed rollers on the thicknessiing table itself so shouldn't be any obsruction there.
Check drive assembly to ensure feed rollers are rotating correctly.

CharlieZ
24th February 2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone for prompting me to look much more carefully at the kickback assembly. On examination the fingers were quite lose, with ~2mm lateral play between them. I thought this might cause those that come into contact with timber entering to twist slightly and cause the jam, so I cut a washer (about 1mm thick) and fitted it over the kickback assembly rod at at one end to take up the play. Problem solved. And now that I think about it, I'd been having the jamming problem occasionally for longer than I'd remembered, but it just recently it got noticeably worse. I suspect it came from the factory with that lateral play in assembly.