PDA

View Full Version : Knurling for those without coolant.

Anorak Bob
24th February 2015, 03:34 PM
On the weekend I had cause to knurl some 1045 approximately 40mm in diameter. Previously I have used Vactra way oil as a lubricant while forming knurls simply because I have probably 15 litres of the stuff. Vactra is reasonably thick and the result of using it is the creation of slurry containing chips. That slurry requires continual removal with a brush to prevent it marring the knurling. Now, Bob "Krisfarm" is an advocate of ATF as a form of coolant and I had a container of Dextron II at hand so I tried it. The transmission fluid is thin and it simply washed the chips away with a resulting extremely crisp cross knurled pattern on the steel. That crisp that I had remove the points with a file. Might be worth a try? Bob.PS For some weird reason I can't punctuate this!

BaronJ
24th February 2015, 08:17 PM
On the weekend I had cause to knurl some 1045 approximately 40mm in diameter. Previously I have used Vactra way oil as a lubricant while forming knurls simply because I have probably 15 litres of the stuff. Vactra is reasonably thick and the result of using it is the creation of slurry containing chips. That slurry requires continual removal with a brush to prevent it marring the knurling. Now, Bob "Krisfarm" is an advocate of ATF as a form of coolant and I had a container of Dextron II at hand so I tried it. The transmission fluid is thin and it simply washed the chips away with a resulting extremely crisp cross knurled pattern on the steel. That crisp that I had remove the points with a file. Might be worth a try? Bob.PS For some weird reason I can't punctuate this!

Hi Bob,

I've knurled a couple of brass knobs lately, and found that oil as you mention creates a slurry of particles. I did try 50/50 cutting oil. Yes I get a nicer finish as well.

In response to your PS, I've found that the speel chucker doesn't work now either. :U

Big Shed
24th February 2015, 08:22 PM

Bob, I can see punctuation your post, every sentence has full stop, that is puctuation isn't it?

Or do you mean something else?

Hi Bob,

I've knurled a couple of brass knobs lately, and found that oil as you mention creates a slurry of particles. I did try 50/50 cutting oil. Yes I get a nicer finish as well.

In response to your PS, I've found that the speel chucker doesn't work now either. http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

Well my speel chucker works fine, got the curly red lines under both those words.

What browser are you guys using?

BaronJ
24th February 2015, 08:28 PM
Bob, I can see punctuation your post, every sentence has full stop, that is puctuation isn't it?

Well my speel chucker works fine, got the curly red lines under both those words.

Gmorning Fred,
Still using Firefox, under Linux, Debian Jessie. There were some updates the other day. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I have several other browsers, I'll give them a try.

Big Shed
24th February 2015, 08:35 PM
Gmorning Fred,
Still using Firefox, under Linux, Debian Jessie. There were some updates the other day. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I have several other browsers, I'll give them a try.

I'm using Firefox as well, but under Win XP, and the spell checker works as advertised.

Might be the winter weather there?:D

BaronJ
24th February 2015, 09:15 PM
I'm using Firefox as well, but under Win XP, and the spell checker works as advertised.Might be the winter weather there?:DMaybe ! I've just changed browser to "Google Chrome" and logged in again. I'm now logged in twice, once under each browser.Spell checking works under Chrome but not Firefox. Weird ! Smilies don't work in Chrome.Still thanks for your reply, it helps with sorting out what works, where.

BaronJ
24th February 2015, 09:21 PM
Maybe ! I've just changed browser to "Google Chrome" and logged in again. I'm now logged in twice, once under each browser.Spell checking works under Chrome but not Firefox. Weird ! Smilies don't work in Chrome.Still thanks for your reply, it helps with sorting out what works, where.

I know replying to my own thread is bad form :U But I see what Bob was on about. (This post is from Firefox.)

Non of the paragraphs or wording layout has been carried through to the published post.

This should be on a new line, as should be the one above.

BaronJ
24th February 2015, 09:23 PM
Maybe ! I've just changed browser to "Google Chrome" and logged in again. I'm now logged in twice, once under each browser.Spell checking works under Chrome but not Firefox. Weird ! Smilies don't work in Chrome.Still thanks for your reply, it helps with sorting out what works, where.I know replying to my own thread is bad form But I see what Bob was on about. (This post is from Chrome.)Non of the paragraphs or wording layout has been carried through to the published post.This should be on a new line, as should be the one above.

Michael G
24th February 2015, 09:41 PM
I usually knurl dry, mainly because of that slurry issue mentioned. I did try knurling some Aluminium using CRC but I'm not convinced there was any major improvement. I have found that getting a good knurl does depend on how much the wheels are fed in. Too little of course does not produce a good knurl but too much also affects things. I did some sums at one stage and worked out that if fed in half the knurl depth, that seemed to work well (worked out by knurl pitch x 0.866 x 0.5). Works for me anyway.

Michael

j.ashburn
24th February 2015, 10:03 PM
Evening gents,years ago we used to lubricate and wash the knurls with a squirter oil can with separator oil.This oil was for cream separators very light and from memory thinner than sewing machine oil.Last tin has long gone now and am sure long off the market.now i have on hand spray bottles of lubricants[make my own crc dieso acetone carbolic acid or bit of creosote added] and others with hydraulic oil same as atf and a couple spray bottles of diesel and kero. they are all oils and steel knurls well with a dose of light oil alternately flushing with kero or dieso what ever the hand falls on.Also had more success knurling using the caliper type no harsh workout for the top slide but if you go light in feed both work but much prefer the caliper type. Cheers.

Anorak Bob
24th February 2015, 10:48 PM

Punctuation is incorrect. I did not have the ability to create a new paragraph. I was typing before work at work. I'm typing now at home using Firefox. Seems to be working just fine.

Thank you Fred.

Anorak Bob
24th February 2015, 11:05 PM
Evening gents,years ago we used to lubricate and wash the knurls with a squirter oil can with separator oil.This oil was for cream separators very light and from memory thinner than sewing machine oil.Last tin has long gone now and am sure long off the market.now i have on hand spray bottles of lubricants[make my own crc dieso acetone carbolic acid or bit of creosote added] and others with hydraulic oil same as atf and a couple spray bottles of diesel and kero. they are all oils and steel knurls well with a dose of light oil alternately flushing with kero or dieso what ever the hand falls on.Also had more success knurling using the caliper type no harsh workout for the top slide but if you go light in feed both work but much prefer the caliper type. Cheers.

J.A,

I too am a fan of the caliper or in my case, clamp type knurling tool. The only thing that gets a workout is the bar being knurled.

I've never fooled around with diesel. Is it worth having a couple of litres in a can?

BT

j.ashburn
24th February 2015, 11:13 PM
J.A,

I too am a fan of the caliper or in my case, clamp type knurling tool. The only thing that gets a workout is the bar being knurled.

I've never fooled around with diesel. Is it worth having a couple of litres in a can?

BT Bob yes by all means keep a couple litres on hand as well as kero good for a squirt on ally too keeps the tool tip uncontaminated.
try it and see if youlike it Bit of kero is always here,along with dieso. Cheers JA

Anorak Bob
24th February 2015, 11:23 PM
Bob yes by all means keep a couple litres on hand as well as kero good for a squirt on ally too keeps the tool tip uncontaminated.
try it and see if youlike it Bit of kero is always here,along with dieso. Cheers JA

I've got the kero JA. The parts washer is full of it and I keep a few litres of the stuff in a drum for a bit of pristine cleaning. The problem with kero is the smell. I get into strife when I trail the stuff into the house.:no:

j.ashburn
25th February 2015, 12:47 AM
I've got the kero JA. The parts washer is full of it and I keep a few litres of the stuff in a drum for a bit of pristine cleaning. The problem with kero is the smell. I get into strife when I trail the stuff into the house.:no: The kero and diesel do have a habit of penetrating your clothes.1 spot of diesel with body heat soon turns into a 3 inch circle in no time.Wooly jumpers are the worst.If you have coveralls or dustcoat can be shed at end of day.The HM indoors brigade got noses on them like beagles always wear a cap that eliminates the hair, good washing facilities in the shed help too.I use separate washing machine for work clothes.My mother put up with it for years contending with two of her menfolk ''grubs'' is why we always did our work clothes separately a thing have continued to do Cheers. J

BaronJ
25th February 2015, 07:41 AM
Hi Guys,

I couldn't agree more about diesel/kerosene ! It soon starts to pervade everything it touches. My main beef is when filling up the van. People always seem to spill some around the pump, it gets on your shoes and then gets transferred to the pedals and carpet. All you can smell, all day is diesel, particularly if you have the heater running.

krisfarm
25th February 2015, 02:53 PM
Hi BT,
A timely post. I just finished yesterday making a Lathe Tool Height gauge. I have been meaning to make one for years as I have a rear mounted parting tool and needed a universal height setting tool. I thought it would look nicer with a bit of knurling on the shank and give you something to grip,it is adjustable and has a rare earth magnet epoxied into the base. The shank is 30 mm diameter, I ran the lathe/Clamp type knurler at 100 RPM. As you know I use ATF oil in my lathe and mill. When knurling I have the supply running wide open, this flushes all of the chips away and keeps the heat down. ATF oil is a lot better at lubricating than Kero or Diesel and it does not smell like they do.
Regards Bob

Anorak Bob
25th February 2015, 03:12 PM
Well .... me! We could be playing snap!

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=158052&d=1294471224

I use mine frequently, mainly to set my boring bars to the correct height ( I dont have enough tool holders ).

PS, That is some crisp looking knurling Bob.:2tsup:

thorens
25th February 2015, 03:34 PM
Well .... me! We could be playing snap!

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=158052&d=1294471224

I use mine frequently, mainly to set my boring bars to the correct height ( I dont have enough tool holders ).

Hi Bob.
I use cutting oil and air to clear the chips . seem to work well.
Peter

krisfarm
25th February 2015, 03:47 PM
BT,
Very nice, what is the base diameter of your height tool?
Bob

Anorak Bob
25th February 2015, 03:57 PM
Hi Bob.
I use cutting oil and air to clear the chips . seem to work well.
Peter

Peter,

I can remember a warning from years ago about compressed air blasting swarf and grit into places in machines where it shouldn't be so I've heeded that warning. What are you using as cutting oil?

BT,
Very nice, what is the base diameter of your height tool?
Bob

Bob,

The gauge is 7 KM away but from a poor memory I reckon just under 50mm. It would probably have started off as 2" 1214.

Bob.

wheelinround
25th February 2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks for this :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

janvanruth
25th February 2015, 08:10 PM
atf and air are not so good a combination
the stuff is pretty harmfull if you speak danish, norwegian or swedish
not so if you speak german

Some time ago we had a plastic bottle of atf oem Volvo.
I had a look at the warnings on the lable.
The three nordic languages are all kind of similar and fairly understandable if you speak dutch.

In all three nordic languages there were comprehensive warnings not to breath in particles.
It even stated max ppm and possible effects/symptoms.
They all were a little different though.

In german it only stated to not dispose off into the aeqious system as it would harm fish.......

thorens
26th February 2015, 09:45 PM
Peter,

I can remember a warning from years ago about compressed air blasting swarf and grit into places in machines where it shouldn't be so I've heeded that warning. What are you using as cutting oil?

Bob,

The gauge is 7 KM away but from a poor memory I reckon just under 50mm. It would probably have started off as 2" 1214.

Bob.

Hi Bob.
the cutting oil i use was from NIMT which were given to me by a friend who teaching there so i'm not sure which grade it is but it is used for tapping and drilling in school .
when i use the air i went very close to the job being knurl , it work very well for me .
Peter
PS: if you see any bits and pieces for the FP1 Deckel please PM me. collets is the first thing's i need.

Anorak Bob
26th February 2015, 10:25 PM
PS: if you see any bits and pieces for the FP1 Deckel please PM me. collets is the first thing's i need.

MT4 or SK 40 Peter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350594389696?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D350594389696%26_rdc%3D1

http://www.ebay.de/itm/121277633986?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D121277633986%26_rdc%3D1

thorens
26th February 2015, 10:27 PM
MT4 or SK 40 Peter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350594389696?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D350594389696%26_rdc%3D1

http://www.ebay.de/itm/121277633986?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D121277633986%26_rdc%3D1

it use MT4 Bob.
i will check the link
Thanks
Peter

Anorak Bob
26th February 2015, 11:03 PM
atf and air are not so good a combination
the stuff is pretty harmfull if you speak danish, norwegian or swedish
not so if you speak german

Some time ago we had a plastic bottle of atf oem Volvo.
I had a look at the warnings on the lable.
The three nordic languages are all kind of similar and fairly understandable if you speak dutch.

In all three nordic languages there were comprehensive warnings not to breath in particles.
It even stated max ppm and possible effects/symptoms.
They all were a little different though.

In german it only stated to not dispose off into the aeqious system as it would harm fish.......

Hello Jan,

I had a look at some ATF safety data sheets online and as per your observation, the level of danger associated with ATF depends on the country in which it is sold. Here are a couple of examples. First, the USA then Turkey.

Bob.