PDA

View Full Version : Identify weird mould/fungus/growth

rrrlllddd3
26th February 2015, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,
I've got a strange/odd question. :?

I recently started making myself a small shelf/nook out of pine.
Purchased it from Bunnings.
Routered a nice groove in it for a led strip, then got too busy and left it outside under the patio on the workbench.
Two weeks later picked it up, and something GROSS started growing in it.
But only in the groove - not anywhere else on the wood.
I'm pretty sure it didn't get damp .. There was no glue or anything special in the grooves.
It doesnt look like any mould I've ever seen.
The rest of the wood is fine.
It's like a tuna-looking sticky substance, pinky-brown, with crusty black ends.
See pics:

Can anyone identify it for me? the pine was standard bunnings DAR pine.
And what can I do to prevent it from happening again.. :?

Thanks!

I've googled it, done reverse image searches and everything and CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Cheers,:cool:
Rachel

aldav
26th February 2015, 07:10 PM
Hi Rachel,

Don't know if it's just me but I'm not getting any of the images. I don't know much about moulds or fungi :no: (except that some fungi are very nice to eat) but I would be very interested to see it. Sounds ugly! :o

David

aldav
26th February 2015, 07:19 PM
Images must have been uploading as I looked, got them now. God, that is ugly! Very interesting that it appears to like only the freshly machined timber. Could it be resident in the timber? That seems unlikely. Spores from fungi and moulds are very fine - like smoke in the air - could it have come from a growth that is relatively close by? Sorry I can't be of more help.

rrrlllddd3
26th February 2015, 07:21 PM
In reply to David:

Please open these links for Flikr
I haven't done this before so hope it works :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129883277@N08/16031533883/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129883277@N08/16464035460/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129883277@N08/16625499096/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129883277@N08/16650418682/

BRADFORD
27th February 2015, 12:05 PM
I've got no idea what that is, but I do notice it seems to only be in the horizontal pieces, the vertical groove in the pic looks clean, maybe it did get wet or at least damp.

rob streeper
27th February 2015, 12:58 PM
Hi guys,
I've got a strange/odd question. :?

I recently started making myself a small shelf/nook out of pine.
Purchased it from Bunnings.
Routered a nice groove in it for a led strip, then got too busy and left it outside under the patio on the workbench.
Two weeks later picked it up, and something GROSS started growing in it.
But only in the groove - not anywhere else on the wood.
I'm pretty sure it didn't get damp .. There was no glue or anything special in the grooves.
It doesnt look like any mould I've ever seen.
The rest of the wood is fine.
It's like a tuna-looking sticky substance, pinky-brown, with crusty black ends.
See pics:

Can anyone identify it for me? the pine was standard bunnings DAR pine.
And what can I do to prevent it from happening again.. :?

Thanks!

I've googled it, done reverse image searches and everything and CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Cheers,:cool:
Rachel

Don't breath any dusts or powders that come off of it as they may be toxic and or infectious, handle with extreme care when this is dry. Bleach the parts to kill the fungi, mix one part standard 5% sodium hypochlorite laundry bleach in 4 parts water and leave the parts soak (submerge) for several hours. Scrub or wipe away the crud, wearing gloves of course, and bleach it again. When it's visibly clean leave the parts out in direct sun for a week or so avoiding any moisture.
If you don't want to use bleach you may be able to find a product that is marketed in the US called Perosan which is 25% peroxyacetic acid, super nasty stuff but kills practically everything and then evaporates leaving no residue. Available from ZEP products. Wear appropriate PPE and follow all directions.
Quaternary ammonium salt sanitizers such as the Lysol that comes in the brown bottle will also work but they are extremely toxic/carcinogenic and should be avoided if you can. Leaves a residue.

jazzy69
27th February 2015, 02:19 PM
Hi Rachel,
Is the stuff hard waxy stuff or soft. I could be wrong but looking at the green on the ends ( which may be leaf matter) it may be a leaf cutter bee nest. Just a long shot.
Regards,
Ross

Wizened of Oz
27th February 2015, 07:02 PM
Hi Rachel,
Is the stuff hard waxy stuff or soft. I could be wrong but looking at the green on the ends ( which may be leaf matter) it may be a leaf cutter bee nest. Just a long shot.
Regards,
Ross

This sort of thing occurs from time to time in timber in my shed. Not a fungus, but as Ross says, the nest of a solitary bee species.
Sticky muck to clean out.

Master Splinter
28th February 2015, 11:27 AM
If you have a cat, I'd say that the cat has very accurately puked in the slot! Weird!

orraloon
2nd March 2015, 03:34 PM
Just when you think it safe to go to the shed!
It,s like something from those old 50tes si fi shows and will most likely take over the world. Sort of confirms my suspisions about who really runs bunnings.
Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
2nd March 2015, 03:38 PM
Looks like insect nest rather than mould growth.

Attack it with a screw driver & see what is inside.

rob streeper
2nd March 2015, 03:47 PM
Looks like insect nest rather than mould growth.

Attack it with a screw driver & see what is inside.

Maybe it has teeth.

artful bodger
2nd March 2015, 06:02 PM
Maybe it has teeth.

Maybe worse!
Anyone noticed Rachael has not responded since the first post?.
Perhaps someone should call up Mulder and Skully from the X Files and send em round to her place quick smart before it's too late for the rest us.:o

Master Splinter
2nd March 2015, 06:38 PM
Anyone noticed Rachel has not responded since the first post?.

If Rachel does respond, how will we know it's her, and not pod-person Rachel who has taken the real Rachel's place????

rrrlllddd3
10th March 2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your concern over my wellbeing.
I did not get attacked :)

I left it for a few more days and it dried out.
I think any animals/larvae must have already got out, there was nothing living in it.
But most likely suggestion was the solitary bee nest.

Weird, but interesting :)

Thanks for those who answered!

Rachel

Master Splinter
10th March 2015, 06:42 PM
I did not get attacked

Well, pod person Rachel would say that...

Everyone RUN!!! They're here...Rachel is just the first!!!!!