PDA

View Full Version : How much does a Repco Power S1 Surface Grinder weigh?

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 08:14 AM
Hi Guys, I have to transport this grinder this week. I'm guessing it weighs around 400kgs, but I could be way out. I was hoping to use my Hilux, but it might be pushing my luck.

Techo1
1st March 2015, 08:29 AM
I would say at least 7 to 800kg.

simonl
1st March 2015, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!

Did you win that on Graysonline?

I'd guess 700Kg?

Simon

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks Techo1 and Simon. If it was just around the corner I'd take the chance with the Hilux, but it's from Tullamarine to Emerald!!
Yes you are correct Simon. Were you bidding??

Congratulations!

Did you win that on Graysonline?

I'd guess 700Kg?

Simon

.RC.
1st March 2015, 10:20 AM
A hilux will handle it fine.. It is a one tonne capacity vehicle is it not?

Looks like a small surface grinder.... 500kg maybe? A Jones and Shipman hydraulic 18X8 grinder weighs about 800kg..

bob ward
1st March 2015, 10:35 AM
Churchill 18x8 runs to 1600kg, the Repco is probably half of that.

Your Hilux itself will be OK with the weight, you're not going to break its back. More of a worry to me is tyres. On a long trip close to max weight I start to think about the tyres holding up for the journey.

simonl
1st March 2015, 10:57 AM
No I didn't bid but it did catch my eye. It stayed at $208 for quite a while and I thought about having a crack. I don't really need a second SG but I have always been impressed with Repco Power after I saw Michael's (Michael G.). surface grinder.

Hilux's are a true 1 tonne ute. You may need to take precautions to ensure you distribute the weight across as much area of the ute tub as possible. 700Kg of sand will be different to 700Kg of machinery.

Failing that, Bunnings have a tandem trailer (rated to 1200Kg) which I can vouch for being of very good quality. They are $60/day.

All the best with the move. I can't wait to see a thread on your new machine!

Simon

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Bob and RC. My Hilux is an 87 model and I think it's only rated at 400 - 500 kgs. It's a pretty light duty ute really.

Churchill 18x8 runs to 1600kg, the Repco is probably half of that.

Your Hilux itself will be OK with the weight, you're not going to break its back. More of a worry to me is tyres. On a long trip close to max weight I start to think about the tyres holding up for the journey.

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 12:54 PM
Hi Simon, I might take your advise on the Bunnings trailer. Might be better to unload as well. Closer to the ground has to be good. I don't currently have anything set up to do this.

No I didn't bid but it did catch my eye. It stayed at $208 for quite a while and I thought about having a crack. I don't really need a second SG but I have always been impressed with Repco Power after I saw Michael's (Michael G.). surface grinder.

Hilux's are a true 1 tonne ute. You may need to take precautions to ensure you distribute the weight across as much area of the ute tub as possible. 700Kg of sand will be different to 700Kg of machinery.

Failing that, Bunnings have a tandem trailer (rated to 1200Kg) which I can vouch for being of very good quality. They are $60/day.

All the best with the move. I can't wait to see a thread on your new machine!

Simon

markgray
1st March 2015, 12:58 PM
I'm hoping that is Emerald Victoria and not Emerald Queensland :oo::oo:

I think the estimates of 600-800kg should be about right. I have the S6 and its around the 2 tonne mark.

You do have to be careful as when I went to pick up my Churchill 18x6 OSB surface grinder the owner assumed me it weighed about 2 tonne and he was happy to load it with his 2 tonne forklift. After a long drive I arrived Friday lunchtime only to find it weighed significantly more and his fork lift had no chance of lifting it. That mistake cost a lot of money as I had to grease the palm of the local crane operator bigtime to drop what he had planned for the afternoon and come and load me. Final weight 4.2 tonnes. Also it made for a long drive home with the truck right on its weight limit as to try and make up the owner gave me a whole lot of other stuff free. To make matters worse blew a tyre before I even got out of town which I had to change on the side of a very busy road Friday peak hour then drive the next 5 hours at night without a spare. Needed a couple of beers when I got home that night. Actually to think of it I have had a couple rather traumatic machine pickups but those stories are for another time. Sounds like a good thread topic.
Moral of the story though is do your research, take twice as many chains/straps as you think you need, ALWAYS put the machine on timber or rubber matting and be prepared (especially if some dismantling is required or the machine needs moving before loading).

Having said that good machine at good price.

Mark

.RC.
1st March 2015, 01:45 PM
Hi Bob and RC. My Hilux is an 87 model and I think it's only rated at 400 - 500 kgs. It's a pretty light duty ute really.

That is alright... You just put more air in the tyres...

simonl
1st March 2015, 03:52 PM

OK. My experience with Hiluxs' extends only to my 1995 dual cab. It was bullet proof and did everything I wanted and some. It's Tare was 1640Kg and it's GVM was 2710Kg. The fact that I remember that is quite sad really. :rolleyes:

WRT Bunnging trailers, If you buy something from them that requires a trailer, you get a 1/2 day trailer hire for free. Do you see where I'm going with this? :D

Simon

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 07:03 PM
OK. My experience with Hiluxs' extends only to my 1995 dual cab. It was bullet proof and did everything I wanted and some. It's Tare was 1640Kg and it's GVM was 2710Kg. The fact that I remember that is quite sad really. :rolleyes:

WRT Bunnging trailers, If you buy something from them that requires a trailer, you get a 1/2 day trailer hire for free. Do you see where I'm going with this? :D

Simon

Good thinking re the trailer, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just not looking forward to getting it off!!

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 07:04 PM
That is alright... You just put more air in the tyres...

I wouldn't hesitate doing that if it was just around the corner.

Gestalt
1st March 2015, 07:22 PM
I'm hoping that is Emerald Victoria and not Emerald Queensland :oo::oo:

I think the estimates of 600-800kg should be about right. I have the S6 and its around the 2 tonne mark.

You do have to be careful as when I went to pick up my Churchill 18x6 OSB surface grinder the owner assumed me it weighed about 2 tonne and he was happy to load it with his 2 tonne forklift. After a long drive I arrived Friday lunchtime only to find it weighed significantly more and his fork lift had no chance of lifting it. That mistake cost a lot of money as I had to grease the palm of the local crane operator bigtime to drop what he had planned for the afternoon and come and load me. Final weight 4.2 tonnes. Also it made for a long drive home with the truck right on its weight limit as to try and make up the owner gave me a whole lot of other stuff free. To make matters worse blew a tyre before I even got out of town which I had to change on the side of a very busy road Friday peak hour then drive the next 5 hours at night without a spare. Needed a couple of beers when I got home that night. Actually to think of it I have had a couple rather traumatic machine pickups but those stories are for another time. Sounds like a good thread topic.
Moral of the story though is do your research, take twice as many chains/straps as you think you need, ALWAYS put the machine on timber or rubber matting and be prepared (especially if some dismantling is required or the machine needs moving before loading).

Having said that good machine at good price.

Mark

Hi Mark, Yes Victoria. Although I did travel to Sydney last year to pick up a 12 inch Herbert buzzer. That was a 24 hour turn around trip. Never again.
That is a hell of a story with the Churchill. I did something similar last year. I purchased a large Churchill CG from Grays on behalf of a mate of mine. Certainly no room here at my place. We both went to assess the unit prior to arranging transport and came to the conclusion that it weighed 5 - 6 tonne and it would not be possible to get it into his shed. It had to be moved from the vendor's property within 2 days. We ended up scraping it to recoup the costs. Pity really. There is certainly a moral to that story. I ended up with a 3 jaw chuck, a diamond dresser and an internal grinding spindle for all that trouble.