PDA

View Full Version : Dremel attachments on Chinese "knockoffs"

Gerryattrick
2nd March 2015, 09:49 AM
I have a Dremel SawMax, Dremel scroll saw and a couple of Chinese knockoff rotary handsets. Actually I "almost" given the handsets to my wife to use in her Ceramics where she uses them to carve greenware.

I want to get the 4200 handset later this year. That won't be going anywhere near the Ceramics Studio!!!

I have a job at the moment cleaning up some hinge pockets on a door jamb and don't fancy wielding a normal router for that job but it seems that maybe the Dremel sized one would be safe enough. Before I lay out on the Router attachment has anyone used them on Non-Dremel knockoffs. If they work OK I'll buy one and use the El Cheapo handset until I can get the genuine article.

KBs PensNmore
2nd March 2015, 03:28 PM
I have a Dremel SawMax, Dremel scroll saw and a couple of Chinese knockoff rotary handsets. Actually I "almost" given the handsets to my wife to use in her Ceramics where she uses them to carve greenware.

I want to get the 4200 handset later this year. That won't be going anywhere near the Ceramics Studio!!!

I have a job at the moment cleaning up some hinge pockets on a door jamb and don't fancy wielding a normal router for that job but it seems that maybe the Dremel sized one would be safe enough. Before I lay out on the Router attachment has anyone used them on Non-Dremel knockoffs. If they work OK I'll buy one and use the El Cheapo handset until I can get the genuine article.

Hi doe's the El Cheapo have a threaded collar similar to the Dremel? If it hasn't then it won't fit, as the router uses a screw collar to hold the Dremel in place.
Kryn

ian
3rd March 2015, 12:43 AM
what's your objection to a sharp chisel?

Gerryattrick
3rd March 2015, 06:52 AM
what's your objection to a sharp chisel?

a. I don't have one - the two I have are BLUNT:C
b. I have no confidence that I will be able to use one to clean up round corners in the mortise.:-
c. I need an excuse to eventually get a Dremel:U

One suggestion was to get a trim router instead of the Dremel as it would be more useful but I think that would be too dangerous to use on a door jamb in place.... fine if the frame had not been installed.

Gerryattrick
3rd March 2015, 01:06 PM
Well I solved my dilemma.

I will buy a Maktec trim Router this weekend using a Bunnings voucher that is about to expire. I'll adapt my door hinge jig to use on the jamb coupled with a bigger base.

I also ditched the idea of the Dremel in favour of a Proxxon after reading reviews comparing the two. It seems the quality of the options such as drill press etc are better on the Proxxon. They also have quite a nice wee router attachment that I plan to get later. The Proxxon has been ordered from Australia and even with the freight it s $50 cheaper than the latest Dremel.:o

Now I have another dilemma- Er Indoors is not going to be happy when she finds out but they tell me bruises go away after a few days but the scars take a bit longer:doh:

Now I suppose I need to sort out my chisels and stop being a woose and try using them.