PDA

View Full Version : Router Raizer & Makita3600BR

twosheds
3rd March 2015, 07:22 AM
I am looking to upgrade (replace) my old Triton router table. First thing is to check for compatibility with existing router.

Does anybody now if a Route Raizer can be fitted to a Makita 3600BR. The factory blurb only lists subsequent Makita models 3612B, 3612BR and 3612C as being compatible.

For those with the router Raizer fitted to a Makita, how well does it work?

Thanks in advance

Twosheds

Ratbag
10th March 2015, 11:32 AM
Looks like the silence is deafening on this particular thread, and I don't really know whether I can be of much help either!

Nevertheless I'll try.

I assume you're aware of the general principle of the Router Raizer's operation: via and opposed to the plunge limitation column. Their website offers templates covering many (most?) current soleplate designs.

The key to operational suitability therefore is to determine the similarity of soleplates across the manufacturer's range. I was in a similar predicament in applying the "100" series Raizer to my DeWalt DW626, in that it was known to fit the DW625 soleplate which was "similar but different" to my 626. I took a punt and it works a treat! It's not that difficult to adapt between models given the large packet of parts supplied with the kits.

If you still aren't sure then perhaps contact the manufacturer or importer of the kits. If you can visually determine the similarities between router models by interweb surfing for pictures even better.

I wish you luck.

twosheds
10th March 2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for your reply Ratbag. I've had the router for over 20 years and it was a superceded model when I purchased it so I knew it was a bit of a long shot to find someone who had fitted a router raizer to a 3600BR. I will try your suggestion and compare my 3600BR to a later model. Now to find if any of my mates have the later model.

Just as an aside I also found a real old post from E Maculata which details a home workshop conversion of a 3600BR to allow though the worktop raising and lowering of the router. Appears similar in principal to the Raizer. I will have a look and see if I can do this conversion myself or if it is simper to just to buy a Raizer.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards
Twosheds

Gwhat
12th March 2015, 08:05 AM
Hi

As stated previously, the Router Raizer basically intercepts the plunge mechanism of 'plunge' routers the 3600BR is a fixed base router and whilst I won't go as far as to say it won't work it would have to be a significant modification to both router and Router Raizer. We couldn't guarantee the end result.

Regards

Grahame

twosheds
12th March 2015, 08:30 PM
Hi Gwhat

Makita 3600BR is a plunge router, or at least mine is. I just went into the shed and double checked I had posted the correct model no.

Regards
Twosheds

Gwhat
13th March 2015, 07:08 AM
Hi

We get a lot of enquiries about various different routers, I usually Google to see a picture, the one I saw was a FB router, however looking at the 'real' picture I'm almost certain it would work. We will accept returns, if received in saleable condition, so it would be worth trying it.

Regards

Grahame

malb
13th March 2015, 08:52 PM
It has been a common cause of confusion since the range appeared in Australia, but there are actually 3 models in the Mak 3600 family.

The Mak 3600 is a D Handled fixed base unit.
The Mak 3600B is a plunge router with a square base.
The Mak 3600BR is a plunge router with a round base.

The 3600B and 3600BR are basically similar except for the base casting and plastic glide surface on it. Pics below are stolen from the web for ID purposes.