PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scotland

Crataegus
3rd March 2015, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone, I'm posting this from Aberdeenshire in Scotland. I've spent most of my life in a rural area where I developed a lasting respect for the natural environment and trees in particular. Woodwork wasn't really one of my strengths when I was at school but that didn't discourage me, I have always had a hankering to make things with my own hands. Fast forward a few decades and I finally have sufficient resources and time to indulge myself.

Most of my work is turned (Union Graduate short bed and Scheppach DMV-200 lathes) but I also do some power carving and make the occasional piece of furniture. I'll be visiting family near Brisbane soon so I thought it was about time I introduced myself. Working with wood is a great stress reliever and I like to think that it keeps me sane, but I dare say that you will soon form your own opinions! :)

Cheers!
Tony

Jim Carroll
3rd March 2015, 12:19 PM
Welcome Tony from Down Under

Christos
3rd March 2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I am certainly not going to suggest you come to Australia and visit the working with wood show in Brisbane BUT if you are in Brisbane at the same time who to say what might happen.

More information on this link.

http://impressiveexhibitions.com.au/index.php/brisbane-details.html

Crataegus
3rd March 2015, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=Christos;1848145]Welcome to the forum.

I am certainly not going to suggest you come to Australia and visit the working with wood show in Brisbane BUT if you are in Brisbane at the same time who to say what might happen.
(snip the link)
]

Thanks, Christos, but sadly I'll be back home by then. I would be pleased to hear of anything happening near Brisbane in the first 10 days of April, however!

Regards,
Tony

old1955
4th March 2015, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Tony.

crowie
7th March 2015, 08:58 PM
G'Day & Welcome "to the Great South Land" & to a top forum "Tony".
There are quite a few members from UK on the forum as well as across the rest of the world..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

fletty
7th March 2015, 10:00 PM
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum and Australia. In addition to Jims "one good turn deserves another" I'll be passing through your neck of the woods a bit later in the year on a woodwork, air show, Brough and single malt self-guided tour!
fletty

Crataegus
9th March 2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all responders. I'm now in Auckland having been offline for much of the intervening period. Fletty give me a shout when you are in the area and I 'll see if there's anything I can help you with should you need it.

crowie
9th March 2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks to all responders. I'm now in Auckland having been offline for much of the intervening period. Fletty give me a shout when you are in the area and I 'll see if there's anything I can help you with should you need it.

Apologies Tony, but years back when I was in the RAN, we called the "shaky isles" northern residences "southseas pommies" and the southern residences "southseas scotts" ....enjoy your holiday in New Zealand.....cheers, crowie

JJF
13th March 2015, 06:50 AM
welcome to the forum.