PDA

View Full Version : Redgum chisel handles

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2015, 08:12 AM
Received some new steel late last week (from Flindersia)
So I made handles for them plus a couple that had been sitting in a drawer for a (long) while.

Some sort of Red Gum I think - came from the old floor joists from the house across the road.

I also took the opportunity to re-handle two other cheapies. I was never happy with the handles they came with. (Northwood)
They always felt too light and of little substance. That is now rectified

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2015, 08:15 AM
Hmm I now probably have too many scrapers

can a scraper be repurposed as a skew?

Mobyturns
5th March 2015, 08:51 AM
Hmm I now probably have too many scrapers

Why not? Its simply HSS. Only thing that matters is your corner preference arrised, round edge or radiused edge & if you prefer a flat or oval skew.

Cliff Rogers
5th March 2015, 09:04 AM
If you hold it, & yer mouth, right. :D

wheelinround
5th March 2015, 09:35 AM
Make one a round nose or 1/2 round nose.

That Red Gum looks good Nick.:2tsup:

Looking at your red gum compared to mine which considered an had been told was Sydney Blue again old floor joist. The other two are Silky being Skews not so much strength required and I prefer a lighter handle for them.
Again the tools were from same fellow. I have since shaped one of the scrapers to a round nose.

pommyphil
5th March 2015, 11:45 AM
Also from Flindersia a 30mm scraper with Forest Oak handle. If I didn't have a big skew already I'd regrind this but I need a square scraper for inside boxes. Phil341611

Christos
5th March 2015, 03:50 PM
Very nice. All pretty consistent except for the burnt markings. I can see it might be easy to look/pick for the wrong one at times.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2015, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the comments

I got the two Sorbys with the intent of shaping them into half rounds

but could equally turn one into a skew (I'd probably just round over the arris the bottom.)

will have to think about it a bit more, red wine should help the thought process

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2015, 04:00 PM
Why not? Its simply HSS. Only thing that matters is your corner preference arrised, round edge or radiused edge & if you prefer a flat or oval skew.

I couldn't think of any reason not to but I'll admit I don't know everything
I've tried using an oval skew - let's just say I prefer the flat :rolleyes:

chuck1
5th March 2015, 04:43 PM
Nice work on the handles, good to see a few beads to tell the different tools.I like different timbers so I can tell what tool is what, still need to change a few over as the previous owner did a great job making them the same.
I was given a cheap set of chisel and Re grinded the skew into a parting tool.

NCArcher
5th March 2015, 06:03 PM
Nice work Nick. Redgum is a lovely timber.
You must of had a clean out to turn those :q Or did you turn them at the mens shed?:roll:

artful bodger
5th March 2015, 06:31 PM
Nice to see all 3 of you guys have equipped your new chisels with handles.....Already!. Only got mine today and am pretty happy about the purchase. Don't see bargains like that every day. Plan to grind each one into a new shape. The 2 backward cutting underscrapers have me a bit miffed though as it seems a pity to cut so much off a new tool to get a use-able item. Can't imagine why anyone would have a need for one of those ones off the shelf. But they must, otherwise Sorby wouldn't have made them.