PDA

View Full Version : Flattish Cookie Jar

Christos
6th March 2015, 02:30 PM
I had a thought about making something like a cookie jar shape. The original intention was to make it more artistic than functional. It is not quite there as an artistic piece. The walls are about 5 to 7mm thick as I did not hollow the inside enough. It started to crack so I added some thin CA glue and stopped at that point. Finished the sanding up to 400grit and started on the lid.

The lid is made from a contrasting piece that originally was a little bit lighter than what the photos show. It has a slight inward taper at the edge and a slight hollow on the top and inside. It was a very tight fit so a sanded it a little and now it is very loose. :doh:

The finish I used was 2 coats of Danish Oil. I was going for a matte finish.

All comments are welcome, good and bad.

341673 341674 341675 341676

With out comments I may not improve.

And yes the bowl has a hole in it. :innocent:

wheelinround
6th March 2015, 02:36 PM
Only big enough for one cookie Christos.

Looks good like the spalted timber used as well as the lid a base the same as the lid would have looked maybe even better to make it look like a giant cookie itself.

chuck1
6th March 2015, 03:07 PM
Looks great, some sizes would be good, as to proportion please.

Christos
6th March 2015, 03:43 PM
...Looks good like the spalted timber used as well as the lid a base the same as the lid would have looked maybe even better to make it look like a giant cookie itself.

I like the idea of a giant cookie.

The editable ones are just so expensive from the waist and back pocket. :U

The total height is about 80mm and the width is 140mm, the lid is about 12mm thick not including the step.

Paul39
7th March 2015, 03:45 AM
Christos,

I really like the shape and figure of the jar. At first look I thought the top was heavy looking, upon further looking it looks like a hat.

I think I would grow to like it as is.