PDA

View Full Version : Plugged Up Bowl

Christos
6th March 2015, 03:05 PM
As you would have read in the heading the bowl that I made has a plug in it. I think the term is design opportunity.

In order to say this was a design opportunity the original piece needed to have some sort of fault. It this particular case it was caused by an overly anxious turner(me) that blew a hole in the bottom. It occurred while I was tapping the bottom and thinking that's very thin as I put my finger though it.

This is the emotion that I will share at this time :hahaha: but it was not the emotion that I had at the time.

I did not want to chuck this in the recycle wood pile as I did get the sides to a consistent thickness. I had the bottom attached in the chuck in expansion mode so I got to thinking that I might be able to try something.

I added the plug out of a piece of contrasting wood and inserted it with epoxy with a red dye added. This is the gap that you see at the bottom inside of the bowl. I reshaped the bottom and then the inside to revel the plug.

341680 341679

I know it is not perfect as the alignment is out :doh: and the epoxy developed air bubbles. I should have mixed more epoxy and filled them. I just became a little lazy as so far I spent three days on this little bowl and I had an idea for something else.

All comments and criticism are welcome.

wheelinround
6th March 2015, 06:05 PM
That spalted Fig looks good Christos.

Paul39
7th March 2015, 03:39 AM
Christos,

A very nice bowl & a good save. At the very least you learned something.

If it is not something you would want to sell or give away because of the perceived flaw, keep it for yourself.

pommyphil
7th March 2015, 06:23 AM
I think we've all got a few " Lamp shades " scattered about. :D Phil

Allan at Wallan
7th March 2015, 08:56 AM
Just tell 'em that was the heartwood coming through.:D

Allan

chuck1
7th March 2015, 09:03 AM
I have damaged bowls and keep them for shellac and project parts.
Your bowl seems to be a great save and still a saleable bowl

turnerted
9th March 2015, 04:00 PM
Christos
I've got a holy bowl sitting on the shelf waiting for inspiration . In my case it was pure stupidity . When I was coring out a bowl , I used the gauge for the wrong blade . Luckily I didn't hit the chuck .
Ted

Christos
9th March 2015, 06:00 PM
...I've got a holy bowl sitting on the shelf waiting for inspiration .....

Hopefully in the next few weeks we shall see you post a repaired bowl. :U