PDA

View Full Version : DANGER! TSC-10HB Table saw

Jim Grant
13th July 2005, 01:40 PM
I have been using my new table saw for a couple of weeks without problems. However, something happened the other day to make me very concerned about the electrical safety of this unit.
I plugged the saw into the power point, unlocked the safety switch and pushed the green "On" button. Nothing happened.
Had I turned on the power? I went to the power outlet and checked and yes, it was turned on.
I returned to the saw and moved it slightly to check the power cord connection. It Started!! It scared the s*** out if me.
On checking I found that I could unlock the safety switch, push the "On" button and nothing would happen. If I then tapped the control box the saw would start. I am assuming that the safety switch is sticking in the open position until it receives a jolt then it moves to the closed position and allows the motor to run. I would have thought that the "On" switch would be a momentary switch where if the motor does not start it reverts to the open position.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I believe that this is potentially very dangerous and I would be grateful of any advice to change the control switching to a safer unit.

zenwood
13th July 2005, 01:44 PM
I've got a cheaper model tablesaw (more affordable) and have never had the problem you describe. Sounds like a warranty claim to me.

AlexS
13th July 2005, 01:44 PM
Jim, haven't had that problem on my TSC-10HB, but have seen similar on my band saw and another table saw. They both stayed on when I tried to switch them off. It's frightening, and in both cases, was due to sawdust getting into the switch. Can't help with a fix, but I'd like to hear one if anyone knows.

Stuart
13th July 2005, 02:40 PM
Triton fixed this problem experienced in their equipment ages ago :D

keith53
13th July 2005, 02:52 PM
If under warranty, I'd suggest having the switch replaced. Or, even better, replace it with a better quality unit.

knucklehead
13th July 2005, 02:55 PM
I have the same saw and have not had any problems. If you can start the saw by knocking the power box it is unsafe and needs to be replaced.

The switch is a magnetic safety switch. That means that it is not just an on/off switch (like a power point). The switch should kill power if one or more of these occur;
1. The stop button is pushed
2. the stop button is latched in (not necessarily the same)
3. there is a loss of power.
The point that I have seen fail on a brand new saw was the loss of power function. If anyone would like to test this, try powering the saw up and switching the power off at the power point. Then switch it back on. The saw should stay off, if it doesn't it is faulty.

gatiep
14th July 2005, 04:06 PM
I have been using my new table saw for a couple of weeks without problems. However, something happened the other day to make me very concerned about the electrical safety of this unit.
I plugged the saw into the power point, unlocked the safety switch and pushed the green "On" button. Nothing happened.
Had I turned on the power? I went to the power outlet and checked and yes, it was turned on.
I returned to the saw and moved it slightly to check the power cord connection. It Started!! It scared the s*** out if me.
On checking I found that I could unlock the safety switch, push the "On" button and nothing would happen. If I then tapped the control box the saw would start. I am assuming that the safety switch is sticking in the open position until it receives a jolt then it moves to the closed position and allows the motor to run. I would have thought that the "On" switch would be a momentary switch where if the motor does not start it reverts to the open position.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I believe that this is potentially very dangerous and I would be grateful of any advice to change the control switching to a safer unit.

Jim,
The switch is FAULTY. I think you'll get better results contacting your supplier for a replacement switch as in anycase it is under warranty. It is definately not a TSC-10HB problem.
"Tring tring....tring tring....Hallo mr supplier, I have a warranty problem..................."

JDarvall
15th July 2005, 10:10 AM

Mate,,,,,,I've got a TSC-10HB.........next time that happens , just bail out? ...theres just no time,,,,if you think, your dead,,,,,,,,,I mean you shouldn't even be flying the thing with problems like that ? ..... Just find yourself a aeronautical tech......he'll know what to do .....mark my words.

p.s. and for christs sake, get your pilots licence !!!! its no toy