PDA

View Full Version : A gun related side line

Michael G
7th March 2015, 06:36 PM
One of the fitters at work is a keen shooter. He knows that I have a mill with dividing head (which he doesn't) and asked whether I could make up a bolt handle for him. He's going to come back with a sketch and was talking about spiral milling...
These are just some trial pieces based on some 'net pictures. They would need to be deburred/ blasted and painted if they were to be used but you get the idea (dimensions are around 40mm high and 25mm diameter). Apparently the real trick is putting a thread on the bolt. He can sort that bit.

Making these (where the cuts have to intersect in a regular fashion) has shown me that I have slight TIR and backlash issues on my dividing head. More things to fix!

Michael

KBs PensNmore
7th March 2015, 11:52 PM
Nice work Michael.

.RC.
9th March 2015, 09:55 PM
Nice, but I think you should make one like this... :D

http://www.riflemax.com/images/bolt_knob_4_panel_w_boarder_2.jpg

Michael G
30th July 2015, 10:46 PM

Michael

PDW
4th August 2015, 05:31 PM

Michael

Nice machining, but as an ex-shooter myself, I never had much time for people who did things like that to their firearms. Sort of like bolting bling onto a car......

PDW

Vernonv
11th August 2015, 10:59 AM
Nice machining, but as an ex-shooter myself, I never had much time for people who did things like that to their firearms. Sort of like bolting bling onto a car......
I also prefer function over form, but I think that statement is a little harsh and quite generalistic.

While I agree that changing a bolt handle is sometimes done for purely aesthetic reasons, it is also often done for ergonomic/functional reasons i.e. changing the shape to make the bolt more comfortable to use, accessible, or to help position it better in a different stock, or to keep it from hitting the scope when cycling a round. Hardly like bolt on bling.

So if you are going to/need to change it, why not go for something that looks nice.