PDA

View Full Version : which lathe

steve900
13th July 2005, 04:40 PM
howdy,
i'm going to start turning pens, what sort of lathe would you recommend one of the smaller ones or a larger one, is it better to turn small woods on a smaller or larger one, what tools eg chisles ,etc
i have been to a few sites ,eg lee valley not bad have to wiegh up the cost from USA. this site seems t be ok, http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/index.html, the starter kiy looks ok for a beginner, and timbcon in WA.

Steve

dai sensei
13th July 2005, 09:22 PM
Small lathes are fine for pens, the JET is a good one (http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/jetpenlathe.html ) but a larger lathe can turn more than just pens. Be warned, turning is addictive and you'll want to do more.

Good luck.

Ruffy
14th July 2005, 07:44 AM
I started turning my pens on an MC900 fro Carba-tec, it did a fine job and had no worries with it. I just recently got a Delta Midi and now use that for turning all my pens.:cool:

From my perspective I do not believe it really matters, but as other have said in the past and will say in the future, turning is addictive ;) so I wouldn't limit myself to buying a lathe only suitable for turning pens and other small objects.

That is going to end up frustrating as all get out:eek:
Go for the MC900 you won't regret it.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2005, 09:50 AM
I started on a small Ledacraft then "upgraded" to the MC900. Now I'm looking for my next upgrade. ;) But I go back to the Ledacraft to turn all my small items.

Irregardless of which lathe you buy the learning curve will be the same.

I agree with the others that a bigger one's the better starter choice; if you buy the small one first, 'tis almost a given that you'll buy a larger one later. You may decide that it handles pens well enough for you, you may decide that you just can't live without a small lathe too. :D

One thing to keep in mind if you go for a small 'un; buy one that takes "standard" fittings so you can swap chucks & morse tapers between lathes just in case you do go and buy a big 'un later.

steve900
14th July 2005, 11:52 AM
thanks for the info, i have ordered a starters pack, now MUST start looking for a lathe, the mc900 sounds the go, any ideas where to buy one around campbelltown nsw,

gatiep
14th July 2005, 03:44 PM
Steve:

Rather than buying your turning tools fram the States, support your local supplier, where you can always go back with your turning questions to their "resident woodturner" for free advise and know how. Many guys stare themselves blind at a few dollars discount and loose out on a huge service: Free advice.

On lathe sizes etc I have posted before on this board, so a search right here will help.

Welcome to the woodturning world, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Babytoolman
17th July 2005, 09:07 AM
Steve,
I bought a Jet VS mini lathe and did 170 Pens for my wedding 3 months ago. Could not ask for a better lathe. The Delta Midi is good as well. I have a mate with one and have had a play on it.

HiString
17th July 2005, 01:38 PM
I don't know what lathes (apart from Teknatool) they carry, but the people at Trend at Windsor have been more than helpful to me recently for other bits and pieces and advice.

:cool:

steve900
25th July 2005, 10:13 AM
my first effort, couple hours on weekend. got a kit from carrols in vic, purple heart, woody pear, curley jarrah, lace sheoak, jarrah ??, and the last one from scratch from a log my daughter got from the snowies last year it was tuff as nails to, all these where done on a drill press with sanding drums, will be getting a lathe very soon,
as you can see the jarrah pen i went a bit to far but it is all good fun and a learning experiance.

steve

arose62
25th July 2005, 10:36 AM
Steve,

Hare & Forbes at North Parramatta had several ex-demo MC900 and MC1100 lathes when I was last in there.

CamphorAnzac bought one of these last weekend, and my MC1100 is also a H&F ex-demo.

The pricing was a fair saving on the RRP - nearly $100 in some cases, so it may be worth your while toddling up and paying them a visit.

They also stock the P&N tools, as do Trend Timbers at Windsor.

Cheers,
Andrew

steve900
26th July 2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks for that, i will call them

steve