PDA

View Full Version : Geodesic SOF - waterproof options?

Hally45
9th March 2015, 12:40 PM
Hi,
I am building a Platt Monfort design SOF canoe (snowshoe 12) and am at the stage where I need to give it a waterproof coating i.e. varnish as I want to maintain the transparent look.

Just looking for recommendations on which type to use? The instructions by Platt are quite dated now and also being US based refers to products not available here in NZ.

Has anybody made a Dacron covered kayak or canoe recently that can recommend a finish?

Thanks

dan42
4th April 2015, 03:48 PM
I hope you have solved your canoe waterproofing by now.
When I completed my 12 ft rowing dinghy "Sea Basket" I nsed a water based finish Intergrain Ultra Clear, produced in Australia by Orica .
I bought my finish through my local Dulux distributor.

Dan42

Hally45
12th April 2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks Dan, Have only just seen your post, haven't visited this site in a while. Yes she's all finished and launched (and for sale actually - only to make room for other builds). I ended up using a Cabots water based urethane and it works very well, easy to apply and does the job. Here is a pic from the other day....

Sumbloak
14th April 2016, 11:21 AM
Beautiful picture there. Nice job on the boat.

Cliff Rogers
14th April 2016, 02:17 PM
Contact this bloke, we have one of his Snowshoe 14s hanging on the wall in our lounge.
Geodesic Airolite canoes and lampshades kayak otago bay hobart tasmania peter ingram jones Kevlar Dacron skin on frame Percy Blandford PBK Huon Pine SOF skin on frame geelong wooden boat festival cape falcon kayak F1 (http://www.canoesandlampshades.com/)

Hally45
27th April 2016, 08:21 PM
Ah yes I actually did correspond with Peter during my build, he was a big help. Thanks.

Cliff Rogers
27th April 2016, 10:57 PM
He is a good friend, we have Smile 1 hanging on our lounge wall with a light behind it.