PDA

View Full Version : Planing 8/4 soft maple on a dewalt 735

Ziya
13th March 2015, 02:07 PM
After a "big" win in Vegas I decided to buy and start constructing a Rubo workbench with Benchcrafted vices/plans. I bought enough 8/4 soft maple to at least finish the top, if not the entire bench.

Problem is when I got the maple home and started to try to plane it through my 735 with helix cutters it refused. The motor just pulled it in an inch or so and then the wood stopped advancing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ziya

TermiMonster
13th March 2015, 04:06 PM
Have you tried taking less each pass.
(I'm assuming it's a thichnesser).
TM

crowie
13th March 2015, 04:12 PM
G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "Ziya".
There are quite a few members from across the USA, North America and the rest of the world.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
On the thicknesser problem, all I can offer is to try again with a thinner cut.....
also make sure the timber is supported on both the infeed and out.....
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.....
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

Superbunny
13th March 2015, 05:12 PM
I had the same problem and to fix it I just cleaned and waxed the bed, it is a wood friction problem they are known for.:D:D

Ziya
14th March 2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks all. I'd set it to take off almost nothing. I like the ideas about waxing the table and supporting the long pieces. I'll try those things and let you know what happens. Ziya