PDA

View Full Version : Forum BBQ at Tooradin Vic

dai sensei
14th March 2015, 12:29 AM
Ok it looks like this lost Queenslander needs to pull the mexicans together for an almost forgotten Forum BBQ. I have been given permission by an old Retiree to hold it at his place :rolleyes:

So

Where: ..............2 Bayview Road Torradin Vic
When: ...............Sunday 29 March
Arrive: ...............No earlier than 10am (us banana benders need our sleep in :U)
..........................till 4pm with BBQ firing up around 12:30pm
What's provided: ..Sausages and bread, tea & coffee
What to bring: .....Anything else you would like to eat or drink
..........................(ps hint - we love cakes, biscuits, deserts, green stuff if you dare :o)
..........................A chair if you would like to site down
..........................Sense of humour and a tale to tell :?
..........................Something to swap or give away (timber, tools etc) :cool:
..........................Some of your work, provided you don't mind some constructive criticism :wink:

It is the last weekend before Easter, so make an effort :D

See you there

maddog 62
14th March 2015, 10:15 AM
why do the Vic's have all the fun:D

good luck fella's, and behave yourselves:p

_fly_
14th March 2015, 01:40 PM
I'm in, Haven't said that in a long time.

jay h
15th March 2015, 10:34 AM
I will try to make it. Jay

smiife
15th March 2015, 07:00 PM
Have fun guys,, wish I could be there!:~

Oldgreybeard
15th March 2015, 08:03 PM
I am planning to be there, but may be later than 10am.
Bob

DaveTTC
15th March 2015, 08:22 PM
I may not be a Vic but this sounds too good to pass up ... Will see what I can do

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2015, 08:51 PM
Buggrit, buggrit, millennium hand & shrimp!

Wish we could make this one, but the omens say otherwise. :sigh:

powderpost
16th March 2015, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately I can't come and play, but, I can send my mate Nathan down. He is starting to give me the shytes... :oo: :D

Jim

nalmo
16th March 2015, 09:04 PM
Hope to be able to make it - looking forward to it.

Simplicity
16th March 2015, 09:18 PM
A possible here
And if so will have one spare seat going from the eastern suburbs in Melbourne

tea lady
16th March 2015, 09:32 PM
Perhaps. Am moving house the week after that. Feel I should be panicking.

shedbound
16th March 2015, 09:55 PM
Another maybe, Got a green light from SWMBO, unless something unexpected pops up.

doug3030
16th March 2015, 10:06 PM
Ok it looks like this lost Queenslander needs to pull the mexicans together for an almost forgotten Forum BBQ. I have been given permission by an old Retiree to hold it at his place :rolleyes:...
It is the last weekend before Easter, so make an effort :D

See you there

At this stage that is a yes x 2

We are going away the following week so if our preparations for our road trip are behind we may have to pull out, but looking good so far.

Cheers

Doug

Mobyturns
16th March 2015, 10:38 PM
Wish I was closer, would be good to put a few faces to names, & catch up with a retiree or two.

issatree
17th March 2015, 11:32 AM
Hi to you all,
Sorry, but I can't make it this time, booked to go elsewhere.

nz_carver
17th March 2015, 10:53 PM
Well I do need to be in Melbourne in April but not that early.
im forgeting what home looks like might make the trip

dai sensei
19th March 2015, 02:39 PM
Just finished cutting up some large chunks I brought down with me, the scraps will be up for grabs.

Suitable really for pen blanks and other small stuff - Camphor Laurel, Black Locust burl, Penny Leaf (Indian Rosewood), Red Gum, Cypress

And some half decent left over blocks of Black Locust burl

doug3030
19th March 2015, 04:11 PM
First dibs on the large piece of black locust burl :)

Just finished cutting up some large chunks I brought down with me, the scraps will be up for grabs.

Suitable really for pen blanks and other small stuff - Camphor Laurel, Black Locust burl, Penny Leaf (Indian Rosewood), Red Gum, Cypress

And some half decent left over blocks of Black Locust burl

_fly_
19th March 2015, 04:19 PM
I think these are to grab a few bits at the BBQ.

I don't think they are a "I DIBS" items.

How about spreading the love and share it around.

doug3030
19th March 2015, 04:21 PM
I think these are to grab a few bits at the BBQ.

I don't think they are a "I DIBS" items.

How about spreading the love and share it around.

Thats why I only asked for one piece, not the whole lot :2tsup:

dai sensei
19th March 2015, 05:34 PM
The bigger piece has more radial cracks, ok for casting/filling, so it will depend on what you want it for whether it will be of use to you. Better to check them all out in the hand before calling dibs :U

doug3030
19th March 2015, 07:37 PM
The bigger piece has more radial cracks, ok for casting/filling, so it will depend on what you want it for whether it will be of use to you. Better to check them all out in the hand before calling dibs :U

Thanks for the advice Neil. I am not into casting/filling (yet). I was hoping for a sample of Black Locust burl as I have not used it before. I was thinking of using it for small trimmings on boxes such as lid openers, small handles or small spindles. I seem to have started a rum on rehandling crochet hooks for the "crafty" ladies of my acquaintance. If there is a piece that would be suitable for that is there any chance you could put it aside for me please?

dai sensei
19th March 2015, 10:41 PM
There are quite a few little bits that would suit lid lifts and small handles. Not sure about small spindles without filling, but you can use coffee grinds and thin CA, fits in well with this timber. Even some of the Penny Leaf that is too thin for pen blanks might be suitable too :rolleyes:.

Acco
20th March 2015, 01:17 PM
Have been speaking to Neil via PM and made the suggestion that I could bring my Woodmizer down for the day and do a demonstration if there is enough interest and could Resaw any timber if anyone needs some done. Will most likely bring an Osage Orange log and anything else that might be of interest to mill.

Pat
20th March 2015, 02:00 PM
Have been speaking to Neil via PM and made the suggestion that I could bring my Woodmizer down for the day and do a demonstration if there is enough interest and could Resaw any timber if anyone needs some done. Will most likely bring an Osage Orange log and anything else that might be of interest to mill.

DJ, bring it up, next time you go to Nz's, got some burl's I need slabbed:U

Ari2
20th March 2015, 02:20 PM
Have a good time, all.:bbq2:

Christos
20th March 2015, 05:45 PM
I will not be able to make it to the get together but sure wish I could.

dai sensei
20th March 2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks DJ for the great offer :2tsup:

I have also acquired a heap of pan blanks from Penturner (Amos) to sell off at very cheap prices. I'll try and take some pics once I have sorted them, but there will be no "dibbs", I'll offer them up after lunch. Any left overs will be grouped up for sale on the forums later. All proceeds will be going back to Amos.

Acco
20th March 2015, 09:04 PM
DJ, bring it up, next time you go to Nz's, got some burl's I need slabbed:U

No worries Pat, as long as you pay the fuel and beer bill :q

Just remember that the mill has to go on the truck :roll:

Gabriel
21st March 2015, 06:47 AM
Is this the sort of thing someone who hasn't attended a forum meeting before should pop along to?

I have a bunch of enthusiasm and and empty head, but not a great deal else. It is close to home so I would be a fool not to come along if its ok.

Thanks

Gabriel

dai sensei
21st March 2015, 09:09 AM
Absolutely :U

Pagie
22nd March 2015, 08:46 PM
Sounds like I can make it.

Sturdee
24th March 2015, 06:08 PM
I'm coming as I've been offered a lift by Oldgreybeard. :2tsup:

Peter.

Simplicity
25th March 2015, 09:03 PM
I'm not going to be able to attend
But hope you all have a great day
Matt[emoji19]

dai sensei
26th March 2015, 06:18 PM
Ok only a few days to go and already some interstaters are arriving :U

List so far

Coming:
Dai Sensei
Fly
Oldgreybeard
Nalmo
Shedbound
Doug3030 x 2
nz carver
Acco
Sturdee
Gabriel
Grumpy John
Pagie

Maybe coming:
Jay H
tea lady

Anyone else? Anyone else bringing something to swap or sell?

doug3030
26th March 2015, 06:52 PM
Anyone else bringing something to swap or sell?

I will have a trawl through the timber vault and see if I can find a few items to bring. I am a bit pushed for time at the moment but I should be able to find some bits.

Cheers

Doug

shedbound
26th March 2015, 06:57 PM
I will bring along a few bits and pieces also, I will also bring the Elu drop saw if anyone is interested in having a look at it.(listed in the market place)

Pagie
26th March 2015, 07:55 PM
I should be there.

Peter Page

Gabriel
27th March 2015, 07:00 AM
I will grab a few bits and pieces to bring along to hopefully peak someone's interest.

And after last night, I have to ask - will there be a radio with the cricket on?

Oldgreybeard
27th March 2015, 08:48 AM
I will bring a couple of pieces of wood + 1 unknown (possibly Plum tree} spalted ?rotting piece from the wood heap -for someone wanting a challenge + flexible drive with chuck attached - no key. All free.

Almost forgot the most important piece - fruit cake for lunch:p

Bob

nz_carver
27th March 2015, 07:11 PM
And after last night, I have to ask - will there be a radio with the cricket on?

Tell him hes Dreaming son

Gabriel
27th March 2015, 07:43 PM
Tell him hes Dreaming son

Considering it's not rugby, we MAY have a chance of a victory!!!

dai sensei
27th March 2015, 10:29 PM
... I have to ask - will there be a radio with the cricket on?

No :doh:

dai sensei
27th March 2015, 10:47 PM
Ok looks like a good collection of woodworkers :2tsup:

Just remember, DO NOT turn up before 10am, there are a heap of caravans/trucks/campers to be moved in the morning and we do not want to be hemmed in with other cars.

I have set up a table with Amos's stuff for sale. They are clearly marked with the super cheap prices, first come first served. There is a plastic container on the table with money in it. I will not be monitoring the table, so if you want something try and get an even number, then just add your money. Your honesty is assumed.

343135 343136 343137 343138 343139 343140 343141 343142

As these are only available to those that attend, I will offer any left overs to other forumites in Market Place after the BBQ.

I have also set up a "freebie" table with scraps and other good stuff. Please add any other offers of freebies to this table.

To save issues with members scrambling for the best bits, I have decided to get everyone to add their names on a piece of paper, then to put it in a container on the table. AFTER lunch we can pull a name out, at which stage that person gets to pick the piece they want, we then repeat until all the names are all gone. We will then put all the names back into the bucket and start again. Anyone not wanting any more can indicate to remove their name.

Hope to see you all there.

Willy Nelson
28th March 2015, 09:12 AM
Crikeys, Bloody Mexicans having all the fun. I hope you have a good day, although I can't imagine why you wouldn't:D a mill, sausages, timber blah blah

Some fantastic looking timbers, what really caught my eye was the black palm, and the cross cut black palm. At 50 cents per short, that's a bargain. I hope no one sees them and they get passed in :cool:

Neil
As I am not retired (too busy supporting you buggers who are), in WA and not willing to drive 5,000 klms, is it possible to trade for the black palm please after the attendees have their fair share, assuming there is any left?

Or, does anyone else have some Black Palm and wish to trade or sell
Cheers
Willy

Oldgreybeard
28th March 2015, 12:04 PM
As I am not retired (too busy supporting you buggers who are), in WA and not willing to drive 5,000 klms,
Willy

Can't imagine why you would not be willing to drive over:p. Apart from what Niel has organised - well
Victoria beat WA in the shield final;
Australia will beat NZ at the MCG tomorrow;
AND there is going to be sunshine in Melbourne tomorrow.

What else can I saybut "hop on a plane and come on over - You know you'll love it!"

Oldgreybeard
(as one of those buggers you are too busy supporting - we thank you for your support)

dai sensei
28th March 2015, 12:21 PM
Some fantastic looking timbers, what really caught my eye was the black palm, and the cross cut black palm. At 50 cents per short, that's a bargain.

Amos gave me a whole log ~150dia x ~500long so I have cut it all up into blanks. It is a young palm and not very dense so will require a lot of careful turning and a heap of thin CA to soak it 24hrs beforehand. PSI are having a special at the moment that brings the price down. The PSI stuff is overseas stuff whereas this is Australian Black Palm

It's not too late to jump on a plane mate :U My nephew just flew back last week on a $60 special fare deal (all up) from Tiger

WoodWriteOz
28th March 2015, 12:27 PM
Can't imagine why you would not be willing to drive over:p. Apart from what Niel has organised - well

What else can I saybut "hop on a plane and come on over - You know you'll love it!"

Oldgreybeard
(as one of those buggers you are too busy supporting - we thank you for your support)
..just think what would have happened if Rodgers stated in WA. Mitch Johnson made all the difference at the SCG and does Melbourne really get ANY sunshine ANY TIME.....

doug3030
28th March 2015, 02:54 PM

Attached photo of what I am bringing. Some will be freebies some may be for sale/swap

front from left silver wattle pen blanks, blackwood scales, ironbark scales

next row, scraps of silver wattle, if nobody wants them I wont be offended but someone might like them

Spruce behind that, not much of it around any more,

Then some gidgee

behind that some round bits of something, possible Beena Tree?

Cheers

Doug

Grumpy John
28th March 2015, 03:58 PM
I'll be there :2tsup:.

Oldgreybeard
28th March 2015, 06:37 PM
Here's the offer -

Get yourself on the 'redeye' and I will pick you up at Tullamarine airport and get you back there to catch the return flight. We have to pick up 'Sturdee' on the way to Tooradin and drop him home on the way back to the airport.

Will I meet you at 6.00am (or thereabouts)?

Bob

DaveTTC
28th March 2015, 06:41 PM
So far so good. I'll be there. See you soon

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Acco
28th March 2015, 08:08 PM

Just to let everyone know, due to lack of interest, I will not be bringing the sawmill down as it has to travel on the cranetruck, but I'll still be attending.

Pagie
28th March 2015, 10:28 PM
You could always bring the saw to my place. I have not been allowed to touch wood of any sort for the last month.. Dr's orders, looking for allergies.. Bloody nearly impossible. So I have lots of wood to saw, split and carve.. I can bring some wood of some sort, any requests?

dai sensei
28th March 2015, 10:51 PM
You could always bring the saw to my place. I have not been allowed to touch wood of any sort for the last month.. Dr's orders, looking for allergies.. Bloody nearly impossible.

Hmm, better bring a mask, lots of timber and dust here

So I have lots of wood to saw, split and carve.. I can bring some wood of some sort, any requests?

Rare and beautiful stuff is always popular

Willy Nelson
28th March 2015, 11:39 PM

Oldgreybeard

Gents
We need to get some thing straight here. Old Grey Beard (that describes me too), I notice you live in Mt Waverley. I may have delivered your papers when I was kid, I lived in Glen Waverley for many years, but I got better. I denounced my Victorian heritage, turned my back on VFL (I was big and dumb and fitted into Rugby real easy), stopped drinking VB and went West, ........well eventually.
Now I live in God's country, dine on crayfish for breakfast, Dhufish for lunch and either prawns or deer for dinner. We don't have a winter and our roads are paved in Gold. We turn Jarrah, we burn Jarrah.
Having said all, sounds like a great get together, wish I was there. Oh yeah, I will be flying in to Melb 01 Jun to help move my poor old Mum from Melb to Canberra, flying visit
Anyhoo, Gents, have a great time
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Acco
28th March 2015, 11:44 PM
Peter I would love to bring it to your place or anyone else's but it's just not feasible most of the time.

Just so people know why I'm not bringing the mill down.

Move c/truck into position, put slings on, crane it on to truck, strap it all down, then grab some logs, load then strap them down and then unload it at Tooridan. Then repeat again to come home plus the cost of fuel to drive there and back.

Usually I'll bend over to help or demo but a lack of interest (only interest seems to be those weird guys from interstate:roll:)and only a dozen or so people attending for what amounts to nearly a days work I just couldn't justify it.

doug3030
29th March 2015, 12:06 AM
Just so people know why I'm not bringing the mill down...

Thats a lot of work to do a demo for a dozen people DJ, I can understand you not wanting to do it.

I had a mate over this arvo and got him to help me put a 4' long log of weeping mulberry, with root ball attached, in the back of the ute to bring over as I thought it might be easier on the woodmiser than my bandsaw and to see how you handled it with the different equipment. Just after we did that I came inside and read your post about not bringing the mill, so we went and took it back out again.

As it turns out it will be easier to just do it on the bandsaw than you having to go through all that. Not to worry.

Cheers

Doug

dai sensei
29th March 2015, 08:37 AM
I had a mate over this arvo and got him to help me put a 4' long log of weeping mulberry, with root ball attached, in the back of the ute to bring over .... Just after we did that I came inside and read your post about not bringing the mill, so we went and took it back out again.

Nooooo :o, put it aback put it back :U. For Mulberry root ball, hell I'll do it freehand, but as I'd muck it up I might have to keep it all :U:U:U

doug3030
29th March 2015, 08:43 AM
Nooooo :o, put it aback put it back :U. For Mulberry root ball, hell I'll do it freehand, but as I'd muck it up I might have to keep it all :U:U:U

Sorry Neil, My back is in bad shape, My mate is not here to help me lift it, so I guess I will have to do it on my bandsaw when I am feeling better. I do have a smaller weeping mulberry log section also with root ball attached. Not sure if I can lift it by myself either, but I might give it a try.

Anyway, what are you doing up so early, after your earlier post about being a banana bender and needing to sleep in, so the rest of us could not get there till 10:00? HHMMMM? :rolleyes:

CHeers

Doug

Treecycle
29th March 2015, 09:32 AM
Have a great day today guys. Perfect Victorian weather for the occasion.:bbq2:
Wish I could be there:saddest: Hope to see lots of photos at the end of the day.:photo2:

Ari2
29th March 2015, 10:10 AM
Yes, enjoy the day, rain forecast for Hobart...:cool:

NCArcher
29th March 2015, 04:40 PM
Come on GJ, get those photos uploaded :whip:

Grumpy John
29th March 2015, 05:22 PM
Come on GJ, get those photos uploaded

Sorry mate, back home sitting on my backside watching the Aussies whip the Kiwis :D.

Pagie
29th March 2015, 07:08 PM
Great day all. :B

Acco
29th March 2015, 08:17 PM
Come on GJ, get those photos uploaded :whip:

Didn't see a camera or phone in his hands whilst I was there :no:

Sorry mate, back home sitting on my backside watching the Aussies whip the Kiwis :D.

Hang on GJ is this after the do the missus reeled you back home for?

doug3030
29th March 2015, 08:46 PM
Well I had a good afternoon, caught up with some old friends, made some new ones, gave away some timber and got given even more. Always nice to get a sample of a species I have not had the opportunity to work before.

If there is one thing that stands out when forum members get together like this is the generosity and willingness to share knowledge and materials.

One thing I found really amazing was a common theme of conversation in almost every group I joined throughout the event - It wa show much shed space we lose to storing the belongings of our adult children who move in and out of home.

Reassuring to know that it is not just me :rolleyes:

A great afternoon, thanks to all I talked to, swapped timber with, donated to the freebies table and especially to Dai Sensai (neil) for organising and also to the old retiree who made his workshop available as a venue for the get-together.

Cheers

Doug

powderpost
29th March 2015, 09:40 PM
mumble, mumble, mumble.. :~

dai sensei
29th March 2015, 10:10 PM
Yes great day for all :2tsup:. Thanks to all those that attended. We raised $101.75 fro Amos but still plenty left so I will be sorting all that out tomorrow (too stuffed tonight :-).

Anyway, here are some pics

The freebie table after everyone had added to it (yes there was honey too :q)

I pulled names out of the hat 4 times before it seemed there were only a few interested in what remained, at which stage I said "take what you want from what's left" :U. The final shot dividing what was left up

Demos :cool: and spectators

Sitting/standing around just yakking
343413 343414

And a final presentation :wink:

Hopefully more people will add some more photos, thanks again all

Treecycle
29th March 2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks Neil. Are you able to add some names to faces?

doug3030
29th March 2015, 10:30 PM

If it is any help I am the overweight guy with the greying beard :D :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

dai sensei
29th March 2015, 10:35 PM

Some but not many, I try tomorrow when mind is clearer

If it is any help I am the overweight guy with the greying beard :D :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Not sure if that helps, there are quite a few of us that fit that description :U

doug3030
29th March 2015, 10:38 PM
Not sure if that helps, there are quite a few of us that fit that description :U

hence the smilies in my post :D:D:D:D :2tsup:

It was not meant to be helpful, it was meant to be funny.

Cheers

Doug

Oldgreybeard
30th March 2015, 08:51 AM
In the same vein as doug3030, I am the tall, slim guy with the greybeard.

Bob

Ps. If you can't find me try image 3 and 4

cava
30th March 2015, 10:06 AM

Bob

Ps. If you can't find me try image 3 and 4
Yep. That really narrows it down. :? :)

Acco
30th March 2015, 10:13 AM

doug3030, Oldgreybeard and Nalmo

Jools, doug3030, Fly, Grumpy John, Sturdee

Pagie and myself with Sally

Christos
30th March 2015, 12:58 PM

When I needed to meet people for the first time, I would have to describe what I was wearing. This is a far better way of being able to identify someone in a crowd. For Example, I am wearing black socks. :U

doug3030
30th March 2015, 01:34 PM
When I needed to meet people for the first time, I would have to describe what I was wearing. This is a far better way of being able to identify someone in a crowd. For Example, I am wearing black socks. :U

Spot-on Christos, I am the overweight one with the grey beard and black socks. Now that should clear it up nicely :D :D :D :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

DaveTTC
1st April 2015, 08:36 AM
Great day

Thankx to and Julie for making their place availablr along with their spectacular hospitality

Thanks Neil for organising it

Great to see a few familiar faces and put faces to some familiar names

Hope to add a pic or two in the next day or so

Nz carver thanks for the mystery piece

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pagie
1st April 2015, 09:35 AM
And thanks for the honey.

_fly_
1st April 2015, 10:46 AM
My thanks as well for the catch up to Retired and Neil.

Was a great day.

Good to catch up with people's I've met before and the new ones as well.

Peter

shedbound
1st April 2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks to the hosts for the day, was good to meet a few new people, even though the day was nearly over before I arrived.:doh:

dai sensei
1st April 2015, 04:50 PM
So where are your photos DaveTTC?

The Penny Leaf bowl that I was turning at the BBQ is finally finished, see here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=193828&p=1854913#post1854913

Sturdee
1st April 2015, 09:42 PM
I also had a great day, good company, excellent bbq ably cooked by our host Neil and it was a pleasure to catch up with old friends and meet some of the new ones from the forum.

I especially enjoyed catching up with , who I haven't seen for a while :2tsup: although he still mumbles about sugar spoons.:U

I also scored some good freebies by way of timber which came in very handy as I have finally finished my outside jobs and have started to turn some today after a 5 months drought.:2tsup:

And finally my special thanks to Oldgreybeard for giving me a lift to and from 's place.

Peter.

Gabriel
3rd April 2015, 11:39 AM
What a week,

It started with a trip down to the mornington peninsula woodturners club on the wednesday. My first time there. I had a chat with a few of the fellows, managed a quick workshop tour before being treated to a demonstration by Brendan Stemp. I am sure I will make it back there, its just finding time as it seems they tend to be operational when I'm working... but I'm sure I can scoot a few 'sick' days my way. Or maybe I should call them mental health?:U

Then on the Saturday I was in for a trip to Daylesford. I won an auction on eBay for a natural edged ringed gidgee slab. It will be perfect for a mirror project I have in mind. When I got down there, it turned out it was one of the fellows from (Formerly)Big Sky Timber and he was basically just clearing out most of the stuff he didn't wish to deal in anymore. He has decided specializing in instrument timbers was the way to go, so along with the slab, I filled my ute with ringed gidgee, mulga and even some dead finish limbs. More than I can poke a stick at!!

This brings me to the BBQ.

I have to thank all of you for making me feel so welcome. I'm not the most outgoing of fellows, and am quite nervous in large groups of new people. But having said that, after a few handshakes and forgetting a few names (I am USELESS at names so I apologise if I throw a few wrong ones around) I felt right at home. Plenty of stories to listen to, a few tips and tricks to be picked up along the way, and an attempt at a lesson in spindle turning!!

I think it was Doug3030 who shuffled the onlookers along (phew :B) when the whites of my eyes showed as the chips started flying, and notes were made as to how I was holding the chisel in a death grip. Quickly realising that I needed more than a 'push in the right direction' my tuition was halted and back to the sausages and conversation.

I think it was Sturdee, Old Grey Beard and Grumpy John who were talking about bandsaws, setup and fence systems. Last night I took a leaf out of your books, and after watching the carter youtube clip, pulled my bandsaw apart for a good tune. Bugger me!!! IT WORKED. Thanks all for the advice on this one, now my bandsaw is a joy to use instead of 'grrr, I guess I better cut this on THAT saw as its the only one big enough'.

Now that I reflect a little, I think I need to start treating this like I did my first year of university. Its all about the conversations that happen around a good drink.

At Uni, It was beer, and I didn't really like the taste. My older sister at one function was slowly forcing me to drink a couple, until I had a few full ones in a line at the table. She quickly showed her disapproval, and mentioned to me that if I didn't keep up then 'you'll be wearing the next one'. Needless to say that it was a damp smelly night. However, I did manage to acquire a taste for the amber fluid (a few more trial and error nights).
It seems I may need to attempt the same thing here. It seems to be tea/coffee as the poison of choice. I worked in cafes as a barista for 10 or so years, and have never been able to stomach the taste of coffee. But maybe I need to start trying to enjoy a cup of tea. I hate the idea of having one poured over my head, but hey, if its in the pursuit of knowledge and skill then maybe its for the greater good.

Back to where the tire meets the track....

I scored myself an invite back to the scene of the crime to have another look at these fence post tops. This is where the real tuition began.
Beads and coves. Thats where I'm starting. After a couple of hours and a few difference exercises in different ways to achieve a result, the seed has been planted to what will hopefully be a budding young tree at some point.

So my homework is turning as many beads and coves that I can. I am aiming for 1 - 1.5 hours a day for the next few weeks. I figure if I can squeeze that in then I will hopefully be on the right track.

Being Easter this weekend, I should get to turning up a couple of pens with some of the gear I scored off the swap table, and the Amos table. I am really looking forward to tackling a snakeskin blank that (I hope I got this one right) _Fly_ popped into my hot little hand, and trying some of the resin filled banksia from Amos.

So alas Dave TTC, no photos of fence posts yet, and I could show you a few piles of pine shavings where the beads and coves used to be. But I will just add one of the timber I scored at Daylesford.

I think I have waffled on for long enough now,

Thanks again all and look forward to catching up again sometime.

DaveTTC
3rd May 2015, 10:30 AM
Had a great time and love to know if there is another one coming up. Sorry about silence my end .. Just moved and been flat out with a new job

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art